Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Running Slower

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AgCoach

AgCoach

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 02:08 AM

OK, I recently had my Dell Laptop crash so I went through the whole reboot process. I then downloaded and installed all the recommended programs for spyware/viruses/etc. After I did all of this, I had to reboot my computer: I timed how long it took to start (from the Dell screen) and it was fully functional after 40 seconds. After I "fixed" the startup registry, I had to reboot again...and it took over 2 minutes! Does anybody know what I could have messed up???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 peterk

peterk

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 02:41 AM

Does it take 2 minutes bootup every time or was it only the 1st time. What is your description of "the whole reboot process" and what is "fixed the startup registry". I'm not familiar with these terms.

#3 AgCoach

AgCoach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 02:46 AM

I completely redid my computer using the Dell Restore feature...Im not sure on the exact terminology. I used the startup guide here at bleepingcomputers to determine what I needed/didnt need on startup.

I just rebooted it and it took about a minute to start...so maybe I jumped the gun on this thread.

#4 peterk

peterk

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 03:50 AM

After any System changes are made during a Windows session or to the Operating System generally then these changes are enabled during the NEXT system boot and it does take some time for the process to complete, this is normal.

#5 AgCoach

AgCoach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 03:53 AM

thanks for the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users