Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Crashing during Games

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 foo1314

foo1314

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

So a few months ago, I had a problem where my computer would crash after 30 minutes to an hour of game playing (not terribly graphically strenuous games either). Periodically the screen would go black, and say that there was no signal, so I decided to monitor the problem with speedfan to rule out heating. The highest I ever saw was 75C for either the GPU or the CPU, which is not a shutdown temperature, I don't think. Eventually, one time when the computer tried this nice little trick, instead of irreparably crashing (and forcing me to restart the computer) it just blinked and informed that it it recovered from a driver failure. The computer ran without problems for a month or two, but recently began acting up again. I have since updated my graphics card drivers, and nothing has changed. Any Ideas?

Specs:
ASUS M5A88-V EVO AM3+ AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W 8-Core Desktop Processor FD8120FRGUBOX
EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Rosewill Xtreme Series RX750-S-B 750W Continuous @40°C ,80 PLUS Bronze Certified, ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91, SLI Ready CrossFire Ready, Active PFC Compatible with Core i7, i5 Power Supply

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: It seems that it is not just stopping signal output, the computer is shutting down, but fans and psu light stay on. See my next post for more details as to why I say that. Seems like a processor or mobo failure to me now, but what could explain the period of time that it worked? Could it just be a MOBO driver failure?

Edited by foo1314, 06 March 2014 - 03:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

Are you getting a blue screen with the crashes? And please publish a snapshot of your system with speccy

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

Follow that tutorial

Edited by acerts04, 07 March 2014 - 11:21 AM.

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

#3 foo1314

foo1314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

So after doing a couple more experiments today, here is an update. I decided to run the games while music was playing in the background, surprisingly it lasted about 2 hours this time, so I was hoping that maybe it had repaired itself again, but then it went down. When it happened, the music stopped playing, meaning that it was a full shut down presumably, but my PSU light and all fans remained on.

The screenshot that you are requesting may be less valuable than you thought now, but either way it is literally just a black screen.

Thanks!

#4 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:00 PM

the speccy snapshot is not a screenshot, it is a snapshot of your hardware/software etc. it is useful to me as i can see exactly what the specs of the system are and try to figure out what might be causing your crashes

Edited by acerts04, 07 March 2014 - 11:22 AM.

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:18 PM

Following the directions provided...results in your posting a link, not a screenshot.  That link will allow those trying to help...to see a lot of information with a minimal amount of questions back and forth.

Louis

#6 foo1314

foo1314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

My apologies for the misunderstanding. 

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/TGLQGzP34lLBvISmvTAV7n1

Thanks!

#7 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:48 PM

8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz

That memory clock looks real low. You should be in the 1333 mhz or 1600 mhz on clock speed. Could be defective ram. One way for us to tell is to run Memtest and see what it says.

**Follow this guide below:**

Setting up Memtest.

• First Download Memtest from This Link.
  • There are several downloads to choose from. For this CD Version you require the link that says:
    Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)

• Download the file to your desktop.
  • If you are using Windows XP or Vista then you can right click the file and choose Extract All

xextracta.jpg.pagespeed.ic.sGPgQ8zEiK.jp

If you do not have Windows XP or above or are running other Operating systemsicon1.png:
  • Click This Link to downloadicon1.png 7Zip. Windows user require the Top link in the list for the .exe version. 64 Bit users should select the 64 bit version.
    Others users eg Mac Users should go to the heading below that says Some unofficial p7zip packages for Linux and other systems and download the relevant version.

• Download that to your desktop. Then double click the 7Zip installer and allow it to install on your system.
  • Once 7zip is installed right click the Memtest folder (called something like memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip)
  • Then click 7 Zip > Extract Here.
    x7zipcopy.jpg.pagespeed.ic.lDvcXNktpI.jp

You will now have a .iso file on your desktop called memtest86+-2.11

• Now Click This Link to download ImgBurn.
  • Download that to your desktop and launch the installer by double clicking the ImgBurn installer icon. Follow the instructions, keeping the settings as the defaults.
  • Now when that is installed double click the program icon to launch 1154810681.jpg

• Then click Write image file to disk
  • Then insert your Blank CD
  • Next click the Browse for File button xfolder_icon.gif.pagespeed.ic.mob-jhvJoC and load the memtest.iso from your desktop.
  • Then click the large Write file to disk button modes405.png.
  • The program will then create your boot disk.

First and foremost verify that your disk has burned correctly.
Go to My Computer or Finder on a Mac and go to your CD/DVD drive. Make sure the Disk is called Boot. If not then the burn has been unsuccessful. However if it is called Boot your CD is ready to go xthumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ic.7aXFW0A4z_.pn

• Now leave the disk in the drive and shutdown your PCicon1.png.
  • Open the side of your Case and remove all but 1 sticks of RAM. You should only have one stick of RAM installed when running Memtest.
    upgrade-pc-ram-2.jpg

Pull the white clips to the side and the stick of RAM should pop out.
    DO NOT put your RAM sticks on the carpet or on anything that can create static. This is a sure fire way to kill the components. Place them on some cardboard or in an antistatic bag to reduce the risk

• Turn your PC back on.
  • Memtest should now boot. If not, go to the FAQ below.
  • No more user involvement is required at this stage. Memtest will automatically start the tests. The images below show Memtest scans in progress.

• Once Memtest has completed its scan note down any errors that occurred. However usually you will be the one to stop the scan. You can stop the scan at any time but I would advise you run it for at least test number 8 as shown in the image below near the top right hand corner of the screen.
  • Then repeat the steps above for the remaining sticks of RAM by opening the case and swapping the existing stick with the one that has not been tested and then re run Memtest.

What it means:

The image below outlines the various areas of the Memtest screen.

xmemtestimg1copy.jpg.pagespeed.ic.3C2Eii

Other Tests
This image shows a current scan being performed with Memtest86+

xmemtestimg2.png.pagespeed.ic.8gxiB2r09G

Failures
The image below shows a system with failures within Memtest. As you can see in the left hand Column it shows the failures were all made within test 3. Any failures would normally lead you to have to replace the RAM module as its usually something that isn't repairable.

xmemtestfail.png.pagespeed.ic.WaPuDZbwEc

Edited by chrisd87, 07 March 2014 - 12:49 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#8 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:24 PM

Chris, the memory is double data rate so you must double that frequency number to get 1338mhz which is standard.

I will try to get a look deeper into the speccy report later.

#9 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:38 PM

Thanks for correcting my post acerts :). Don't ask why I didn't catch that before I posted it... :oopsign:  I need some more coffee Still wouldn't hurt to run the Memtest on the memory.

Edited by chrisd87, 07 March 2014 - 01:40 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#10 foo1314

foo1314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:51 PM

Since I don't have the optical drive to burn memtest onto a disc, I ran the native memory test "mdsched" to check if there were any errors. Seems like that is not an issue, at least according to mdsched.

#11 foo1314

foo1314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:16 PM

i have done another test to ensure that I have no idea what is going on. this time, I let it die with the case open to ensure that CPU and GPU fans continued running, which they did. And then attempted to shut the computer down by just pressing the power button on the case. This proved to be ineffectual, forcing me to hold the power button instead to shut the system down so that it could be restarted. I suppose this means that whatever it is doing is completely locking up any software capabilities of my computer. 

Hopefully this information may be of any use to you, as it simply proves to confuse me further.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

Periodically the screen would go black, and say that there was no signal, so I decided to monitor the problem with speedfan to rule out heating. The highest I ever saw was 75C for either the GPU or the CPU, which is not a shutdown temperature, I
Thanks in advance!

The max operating temp for that CPU is 61 Celsius.  AMD processors generally have a lower range while some of the Intel processors tend to go with upper ranges in the vicinity of 100 Celsius.

Louis

#13 foo1314

foo1314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:46 PM

Periodically the screen would go black, and say that there was no signal, so I decided to monitor the problem with speedfan to rule out heating. The highest I ever saw was 75C for either the GPU or the CPU, which is not a shutdown temperature, I
Thanks in advance!

The max operating temp for that CPU is 61 Celsius.  AMD processors generally have a lower range while some of the Intel processors tend to go with upper ranges in the vicinity of 100 Celsius.

Louis

Would the CPU overheating leave some sort of sign somewhere on the computer that I could check. For example in Windows Event Viewer or something like that? Or perhaps have a message on the next boot (or just not let me boot before it cools back down?)

I have checked Windows Event Viewer, but it gives no information on the crash, just that the shutdown was unexpected after reboot, with no error messages or anything like that.

Also ran FurMark for about an hour to check for GPU stability with no problems.

EDIT: I have since changed my computer's power settings to High Performance to see if overheating was the problem (accelerate the process so it is easier to keep an eye on exactly what the temperatures are when it goes down) and as I was watching, I saw that we now crashed just while streaming video, and the crash was at a CPU temp of ~58C, which suggests that the CPU overheating is not causing the shutdown, I would think.

Edited by foo1314, 08 March 2014 - 05:19 PM.

#14 vertexx

vertexx

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:42 PM

Hi.

I'm brand new here and I hope it's Ok to make my first post in this W7 Forum.

I too had a GTX550 and amazingly enough had exactly the same fault as the OP.

It was very frustrating and I had many many suggestions along the same lines as these posts.

But I, in my ignorance thought that the computer itself seems to be Ok...still running.. so I thought

that maybe the fault lay in the GPU side of things..

So I got a new one and lo and behold all was Ok again.

Now this might not be the same sort of problem you are having..but maybe worth a try?

As I said upfront, I had the same kind of happenings as Foo1314 had.. Spooky..!!

#15 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:38 PM

foo, can you please repost your speccy snapshot the one you posted is not working

and also download minitoolbox  save it to your desktop then run it

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users