Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Chrome does nothing when launched/ Firefox stalls

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Kabokov

Kabokov

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:17 AM

Hello,

My issue is one I've never seen before.  One day when I launched Chrome, it opened but showed nothing.  It didn't say that it crashed or couldn't load the home page.  It just showed a blank screen in the browser and didn't respond to any commands.  Even when I try opening the settings or tools, it simply opens another tab and leaves it blank.  It does say, as soon as the browser opens, that my add-ons crashed, but nothing else.  I can't even go to the add-ons page if I wanted to.  I've read that uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't fix the issue so I'd rather not bother.

So now I'm stuck using Firefox, but any time it tries to load something that goes beyond simple text (a video, a graphic, this text editor) it stalls and has a two minute fight with itself where it says "not responding" before it works.

I've read about possible malware or rootkits, but I've tried a few different softwares (Spybot, Norton 360, Malwarebytes, Avast aswMBR, Bitdefender Anti Rootkit) and nothing has changed. 

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32-bit.  I appreciate any help.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:43 AM

Actually uninstalling & reinstalling did help me with Chrome sometime last summer. It was unresponsive on & off.

I've also noticed as of late, some of my addons were causing issues with Chrome, in particular Bitdefender Quickscan & Traffic Light. So I removed them.

Being that this is my first post on the site, I'd rather leave it to others as to recommending any scanners to disinfect the system, although I've used several tutorials here to clean other's computers with success.

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 06 March 2014 - 12:44 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:55 AM

I agree with cat1092, go ahead and uninstall Chrome and reinstall it.  Files can become corrupt.

When you ran the security scans did you find anything?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Kabokov

Kabokov
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:09 PM

All scans turned up clean.  I just uninstalled and reinstalled, but no change.  It doesn't even try to load anything.

#5 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:02 AM

You could try fully uninstalling adobe reader, adobe flash, adobe shockwave (if you have these), or any other program/add-on that is common to both browsers, and then reinstalling them. You could also try launching firefox in safemode and see if it still has the problem. Does chrome have a safemode you could try?

#6 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:08 AM

Do an un/reinstall of Firefox too and see if that fixes that.

Does Internet Explorer load pages ok?

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:40 AM

Full instructions fron Chrome Forum -

You must accept that Chrome is like any other installed program, and remove it if it causes problems -

First Uninstall Google Chrome and use Internet Explorer for this (directions below)

We can re-install Chrome later, once this is checked (if you wish)

Windows Vista/ Windows 7/ Windows 8
1.Close all Chrome windows and tabs.
2.Go to the Start menu > Control Panel.
3.Click Programs and Features.
4.Double-click Google Chrome.
5.Click Uninstall from the confirmation dialog.
NOTE :If you want to delete your user profile information, like your browser preferences, bookmarks, and history, select the "Also delete your browsing data" checkbox.

#8 Kabokov

Kabokov
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:45 AM

I just ran my computer in safe mode and Chrome worked!  I went ahead and uninstalled all Adobe programs (AIR, Flash, Reader) and then restarted in normal mode.  Chrome is still working.  I haven't reinstalled them yet...can you explain why this suddenly caused such a problem, making Chrome refuse to even attempt to work while Firefox and IE still did?

Any chance this is a temporary fix?

Thanks!

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:30 AM

Chrome has it's own built in Flash, so it's not dependent on being installed on the system. Whenever Chrome is up to date, so is Flash for the browser, 

You may wish to take a look at your addons & make a determination as to what you really need. Less is better. Some, as was the case with myself, was causing various issues & crashes of the browser. Adware, spyware & malware residing on the system also causes browser issues, where they're often noticed first, many times in the form of unexpected popups. These may not affect all installed browsers initially, but will over time. 

If a clean install of Chrome w/out addons nor being signed in produces the same results, this is an indication of a security, rather than a browser issue. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:33 AM

What do you mean by "ran my computer in safe mode". Are you talking about booting windows in safe mode? Or are you talking about running Chrome in safe mode (from a Chrome safe mode icon in the start menu). Firefox safe mode (and presumably Chrome safe mode, but I don't use Chrome) loads the browser with all add-ons (such as flash) disabled. So if an add-on is causing a problem, when you run safe mode the problem is avoided.

Firefox wasn't working properly either. The adobe programs include plugins/addons that work in all of the browsers. So if you had some kind of problem with adobe, it could then cause problems in both browsers. Chrome just probably reacted more unfavorably to the adobe problem than firefox did. Why flash would suddenly have a problem one day and make your browsers fail, I can't really say. Usually when people ask me why things break, I say it's because computers suck, windows sucks, and the software sucks, so it just breaks itself haha.

If you reinstall Flash and Reader (which I imagine you can't live with out) and the problem doesn't come back, then it's not a temporary fix. Don't re-install AIR unless you have a reason to though.

There's always the possibility that something else was causing the problems and it's only working now as a fluke. But time will tell.

#11 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:41 AM

Usually when people ask me why things break, I say it's because computers suck, windows sucks, and the software sucks, so it just breaks itself haha.

LOL!        sad but true...

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#12 Kabokov

Kabokov
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:48 AM

That's funny, I never knew browsers had independent safe modes. I'll definitely make use of that in the future. I ran the computer itself in safe mode and uninstalled adobe from there. I will monitor it to see if a fresh install of browser and add-ons fixes it permanently.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:10 AM

I just ran my computer in safe mode and Chrome worked!  

Since it works without a problem in Safe Mode I would suggest performing a Clean Boot to see if the culprit can be found.

***This is a diagnotic tool for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.  This will not repair your computer, but it may point to where the problem lies so that a repair can be made.***

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Step 1

(1)  Click on the Start orb, then type msconfig.exe in the Search programs and files box.  

(2)  When msconfig is seen in the pane above the search box and under Programs, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

afterstart_zps02764513.jpg

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation. 

Step 2

(1)  Click on the General tab.   

(2)  Click the Selective startup option. 

(3)  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box. 

msconfig_zps77b1ef82.png

Step 3

(1)  Click on the Services tab. 

(2)  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running. 

(3)  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list, then click on Apply, then OK.  Click on Restart in the window that opens.

Caution:  I repeat, byy disabling the Services your antivirus will not be active, for this reason I suggest that this process not be run while online.

msconfig2_zpsef3c4759.png

If the problem does not reoccur after the reboot this means that there is a Service which is causing this proble, continue with the process of elemination to find the Service which is causing this in Option A.  If the problem does reoccur after the reboot go to Option B.

Option A

**The following is a process of elimination to find the Service or Startup item that is causing your problem**.  

*  If the problem does not reoccur after the restart go back to Services and place check marks in half of the boxes and restart the computer.  

*  If the problem still does not continue return to Services and remove the check marks that were added, then place check marks in the remaining half of the boxes and restart the computer.

If the problem resumes after a restart in one of these halves, you will procede with this process in the half where the problem occurs.  If this does not continue in either half you should repeat this process in Sartup

*  In the half of the Services that the problem is found, remove one check mark at a time and restart the computer to see if that  is the Service causing the problem.  Continue to do this with the Services untill the service causing this problem is  found.

Option B

Search Startup itmesIf the problem is not found in Services, remove all of the check marks, click on the Startup tab and repeat the search process there.

Caution:  If this is a laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

If this problem is found post the Service or Startup item that is causing it. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#14 billman87

billman87

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

I'm interested to see the SMART data of your OS HDD.

I had a miss performing WD green as an OS drive for a while this caused Chrome to be painful.

Imaging to a new drive sorted it out.

In safe mode allot of background task don't run so the HDD is not doing much.

I would use windows resource monitor and keep an eye on disk queue length (Highest Active Time)

If this is constantly hitting 100 percent during basic operations like web browsing consider replacing the drive. 

#15 JohnNYCity

JohnNYCity

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:09 AM

You’ll need to look at the incorrect DNS settings which are interfering with Google Chrome. Flush the DNS settings and reload the browser. Disable sandbox feature and any malfunctioning plug-ins and add-ons. You’ll get rid of Chrome crashes.

Disable Problematic/ Incompatible Extensions:

1. Click the Wrench icon on right.

2. Select Tools | Extensions.

3. A new tab will open displaying icons of all browser extensions.

4. Uncheck the “Enabled” checkbox next to all problematic/ incompatible extensions.

Disable Ad-Filters:

1. Click the Start button.

2. Type “Uninstall a program” in the Search box.

3. Press ENTER.

4. Right click your ad-filter, select Uninstall option.

More diagnostic and troubleshooting information here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users