Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I.E. 11 BING - Can't Open Links or Change Search Engine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 luv2read

luv2read

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:06 PM

Hi.

I've been working with Jeff over in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware and Malware forum and we've come to a point where he feels that the problem is possibly a hardware software problem of some sort.

Until a couple weeks ago, my I.E. search engine was Google and I had no problem opening links.  However, somehow I was hacked and they managed to corrupt my Kasperky Pure 3 program as well as my IoBits Advanced System Care Pro, well still acting as if both were updating and running as they should.  Then I discovered my firewall was down, and the programs were not running according to Windows Security.  From there, I couldn't turn on Windows Firewall or Windows Defender and Windows Update had been shut down.

Kaspersky worked with me and we discovered that the program had indeed been corrupted so using another computer and cd which I burned, I installed a new Kaspersky Pure 3 program.  Windows Security now showed Kaspersky as the firewall, virus protection and spyware/malware protection.  I had to turn Windows Update back on.

When I turned Windows Update back on, it did some updates to I.E.  I didn't think anything of it as I don't use I.E. except for the very rare occasion.

When finalizing our troubleshooting, it was recommended that I check settings in I.E. to be sure they were set properly.  When I opened I.E. all of a sudden it kept trying to redirect from the homepage. I closed the browser, opened it again with the same results.  I went into I.E. options and selected default home page so it changed the home page from AOL to MSN and my search engine from Google to BING.  I tried to perform a search for Google and Yahoo.  It found the links, but when I'd click on them, the links wouldn't open.  I then performed a right-click open in a new tab option to get the link to open.  When the link opened, it would have the correct URL but all I would see was a blank white browser page.

At that point I contacted Jeff once more.  We performed some more stuff because of the redirecting thing, all with no success.

I went online to learn how to change out the preferred search engine in I.E. 11 and did as instructed.  Google shows as the default search engine, but BING is the search engine that is being used regardless of Google being the default search engine according to the add-ons section.

As per Jeff's instructions, here is the link to the topic so you can view the steps taken to try to correct the problem:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/523254/virusmalware-protection-programs-corruptedcomputer-rebooting/

Windows 7 64 bit computer

Thanks. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 luv2read

luv2read
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:22 PM

Bumping to see if anyone can help me.  Thanks. :)

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:41 PM

Hi, can you go to IE 11 browser's Tools menu - Manage Add-ons - Search Settings and disable Bing Suggestions? Go back to Manage Add-ons (Toolbars and Extensions) and Disable Bing Bar and Helper.

xh8d5Me.jpg

Dowload Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer

Tekken

#4 luv2read

luv2read
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:40 PM

Hi jhayz. Thanks for your help. :)   I had already disabled Bing Suggestions.  However, I'm not finding Bing Bar and Helper listed anywhere in the Manage Add-ons section (Toolbars and Extensions) or otherwise.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:46 AM

Check in Add or Remove Programs and also in View Installed Updates of any Bing related products installed then remove them by right-clicking uninstall. This can be found on the left corner of Add or Remove Programs - View Installed Updates.

Edited by jhayz, 03 April 2014 - 01:46 AM.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users