Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just got a refurb W7 notebook. Any advise on when/what to back up?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:49 PM

I just got a refurbed Dell e6410 with Win 7 (because of the xp thing).

It just arrived. I haven't even fired it up yet, but I did notice it came with a Dell Win 7 sp1 x64 Restore disk.

I'm guessing this means there is a partition on the drive that contains the Win 7 (that's how my old Win XP came on a Dell notebook).

I was going to create an image of the hard drive 'as is' before I do any Windows Updates. Would this be the right thing to do? or should I do an image after all the Windows Updates are done. Doing both sounds redundant but seems safer to have both versions. I'd be keeping the images on a portable hard drive and probably copying the images to the HDD in my desktop as well for storage.

Anything else I should do before I start loading anything onto the new notebook?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:34 PM

I was going to create an image of the hard drive 'as is' before I do any Windows Updates. Would this be the right thing to do

YES...................... You can never have too many backups. I would even clone the recovery partition if 1 is present.

Edited by NickAu1, 05 March 2014 - 09:36 PM.

#3 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:32 PM

I noticed in the lower right corner of the desktop a message saying something like "this is not an authorized version of Windows (7)".

I don't want to back up until I figure out what that's about. The seller didn't include any setup info. There are a few helpful programs included on the computer so I'm hoping I don't need to re-install Windows.

I'd like to have some sort of idea what's up before I contact their customer service.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:22 PM

That makes me think it was not bought from Dell.

I've never seen ""this is not an authorized version of Windows (7)" in a computer bought from Dell. If it did come from Dell You need to get in touch with them. If not You should get in touch with the Seller. That message as I see it portends future problems.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users