Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer consistently zaps off after a couple of hours

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sizuper

Sizuper

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

Hi and thanks for taking time to help us folks!

A number of months ago my computer started to crash while encoding and/or burning movies with Nero. It crashed in this manner: I'd hear a little "pop" and the computer instantaneously turns off, losing everything currently worked on. It is basically the exact same "pop" sound and subsequent go-black zap-off that happens when you hold the power button down several seconds until it shuts off.

After a few months, I was using the computer for longer periods of time and it started popping and shutting off after a couple hours of use *without* Nero (or any other heavy program) being open, leading me to believe that Nero was not causing the shut-down issue but rather it was always shutting down with Nero simply because that's when I was keeping the comuter on for more than 90 minutes, waiting for a movie to encode. I tried using other smaller programs like DVD Flick and it consistently zaps out while waiting for that to encode & finish too (it is much more time consuming than Nero).

My computer is a Toshiba Satellite L675 with an AMD Premium Vision processor and Windows 7 OS. I am using a replacement battery, but the problem did not seem to follow the battery replacement.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Giving up authoring of my family's home movies is a pretty big sacrifice, but it's crashing me on a daily basis even without the Nero. Please let me know if you need any additional information. I look forward to hearing back - thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me.

--David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:11 PM

Welcome to the community. Lets run these 2 programs, so we can gather some information about your computer.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs

List Devices
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

List Minidump Files

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy -
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 . Please post the link to the snapshot in your next reply.

Edited by chrisd87, 05 March 2014 - 03:14 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 Sizuper

Sizuper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:36 PM

Additional info: This happens whether on battery power or plugged in, and my first trouble shooting attempt was to buy a Logitech cooling pad (in case the problem was over-heating), but that does not seem to have any impact either, except making my legs cold.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:37 PM

Do run the programs posted above by chrisd87. Speccy will show us the temps...

My guess is that the computer is overheating and turning off (even with your cooling pad). Computers need to be dusted out at least 1 time a year especially if you are using them for demanding tasks such as video editing/rendering. More heat generated means a faster moving fan, a faster fan means more moving air and more dust pulled through. Dust builds up on the heat sync and can block air from going through.

I dust out my computers more frequently because I live on a gravel road, have a dog, and burn wood to heat my house. (very dusty situation) You can use canned air to blow through the intake and exhaust ports of the computer. Intake is most likely on the bottom and exhaust will be out the side or back of the computer (where the hot air comes out).

Also never block the intake on the bottom of the computer, sometimes using a laptop on a lap will do this or on a bed etc, why they put the intake on the bottom I have no idea, most newer laptop computers do not have the intake there anymore.

Computers will automatically shut off when a certain temperature is hit to prevent damage.

Edited by zingo156, 05 March 2014 - 03:45 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Sizuper

Sizuper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:59 PM

Thanks for the guidance! I have a can of air and will blow out the computer as you recommended. I will post whether the problem persists after doing this step.

#6 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:46 AM

Also if you need an application for checking the temps i'd recommend HWMonitor, it's lightweight and also shows you the lowest, highest and current values, it's a nice app for this i feel.

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users