Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer removal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Michaelone

Michaelone

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:21 PM

I am running XP SP3, with Firefox as my browser and DuckDuckGo as my search engine. At 79 years of age and living with a severe heart attack, I am trying to survive on an inadequate pension; the feasibility of purchasing a new system is nil. If I remove 'Internet Explorer', keep 'No Script' and be careful of what enclosures I open, will that help prevent exploits for the foreseeable future? Any other suggestions? In my senior group, two are trying Linux Mint. they seem to like it but are having difficulty adjusting to it. Is Linux a good alternative to Windows?

Edited by hamluis, 05 March 2014 - 02:23 PM.
Moved from XP to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,729 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:48 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

Unfortunately, there is no safe method to remove Internet Explorer from Windows XP.

Internet Explorer is more than just a browser. It works as an underlying technology behind a number of internal Windows XP processes including updating, basic Windows functionality and more. There are methods outlined on some other websites that appear to completely uninstall Internet Explorer and provide workarounds for the problems that removing it causes, but I don't recommend them. In my experience, removing IE causes too many problems to be worth it, even with the workarounds. Even though removing Internet Explorer isn't a wise option, you most certainly can safely disable Internet Explorer and use your alternative browser as the one and only way to access the Internet on your Windows XP PC.

How Do I Uninstall or Remove Internet Explorer From Windows XP?

If you uninstall Internet Explorer 7 or 8, then Internet Explorer 6 will be automatically restored.
* How to uninstall Internet Explorer 8 in Windows XP
* How to uninstall Internet Explorer 7 in Windows XP
* You cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 7 or Internet Explorer 8 after you install Windows XP SP3

I would not recommend reverting back to Internet Explorer 6 as that browser is even more vulnerable to malware infection due to flawed code that can be exploited by attackers. Microsoft has repeatedly advised this outdated browser should be upgraded to protect your computer.Free alternate browsers:Since you already have Firefox, keep it and choose another from the list as an alternate browser. End Of Support For Windows XP SP3 is April 8, 2014 and you will no longer be able to update Internet Explorer with security patches.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 kosmonaft

kosmonaft

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:36 AM

Linux Mint is the lightest version but you need to learn new interface. Still it is the best solutions for old system. Tell us more about your system specifications. 

http://furg.net/ - Free online games 

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,729 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:39 AM

About Linux Mint
Linux Mint: The new Ubuntu?
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:19 AM

A good thing about Linux Mint is that you don't have to install it to try it out.  You can try it out without making any permanent changes to your system. It can run directly from the DVD (albeit slowly), which can be burned from the .iso file from their website.  Even better is to use a USB flash drive, if your PC is capable of booting from USB - it will be almost as fast as a fully installed version.  Here is an example of software you can use to make a bootable USB flash drive - http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,729 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:48 AM

Keep in mind that Linux is not a cure for all ills.

100% agree..whenever someone states that linux or macs are more secure I laugh. You ever look at the monthly security updates for those operating systems?

The reality is that the market base is too small and not worth their while. Not worth their time to target a much smaller base.

Grinler, BC Site Admin & Microsoft MCP: Post #2332.

Your browser will happily inform the web server what operating system you are running, allowing the server to provide you with the correct executable format for your platform.

Fabian Wosar, Security Developer: Post #2341.

Linux malware includes viruses, trojans, worms and other types of malware that affect the Linux operating system. Linux, Unix and other Unix-like computer operating systems are generally regarded as very well-protected against, but not immune to, computer viruses.

Linux malware

* Myth Busting: Is Linux Immune to Viruses?
* Linux malware: Challenges of the Linux worm
* Meet badBIOS, the mysterious Mac and PC malware that jumps airgaps
* Linux infection proves Windows malware monopoly is over
* Kernel.org Linux repository rooted in hack attack
* Cross-Platform Adware Poses as Flash Player Update
* Mac Flashback Trojan Horse Masquerades as Flash Player Installer Package
* Fake Adobe Flash malware seeks to disable Mac OS X anti-malware protection
* Darkleech's Apache Malware Module
* Malicious Linux Commands - 8 Deadly Commands You Should Never Run on Linux