Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Precision M6500 No Sound

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 joecartoonfn

joecartoonfn

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:19 PM

Hi, I'm using a Dell Precision M6500 on Windows 7 and there is no sound. It seems to have happened after installing Borderlands, and only Borderlands and Skype would have sound, nothing else. I tried reformatting and now nothing has sound. Device Manager says that the sound card is fine, I tried rolling back the driver, no sound. Then I updated to the newest driver, no sound. Then I plugged my computer into my TV via the display port and the sound runs perfectly through there. I am thoroughly confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

Right click on the sound icon in the start menu (close to the clock), then click playback devices. Make sure you have the correct output device set as default. Right now because the sound works through display port the default device is probably some HD audio device. You will want to select the "speakers" as the default. Right click on the correct output and select "set as default device" Sound will go through whatever the default device is currently set as.

Edited by zingo156, 05 March 2014 - 03:18 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 joecartoonfn

joecartoonfn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:00 PM

Thank you, I tried this and still got nothing.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:17 PM

EDIT: I missed the part where you said you tried reformatting (you most likely need to download the driver from dells website) http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19

You may have to disable the other output. Or sometimes you need to restart the computer for the changes to take effect.

Edited by zingo156, 05 March 2014 - 03:20 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:22 PM

If it still does not work after that, it might be worth trying to boot to a linx distro, something like mint: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php You can burn this to a disc and then boot to that disc and test your sound there by going online to youtube or play some audio from a flash drive etc.

I have had a few laptops where the speaker connection came unplugged from the main board (most of the time they were dropped). If you can take a screen shot of your playback devices, I may be able to get a better idea of what is going on in windows.

Edited by zingo156, 05 March 2014 - 04:47 PM.

#6 joecartoonfn

joecartoonfn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:43 PM

Thank you for being so helpful. I've installed the latest driver and I booted linux as you suggested yet still got no sound. Should I check if the speaker is disconnected? Also I'm not quite sure what you mean by "take a screen shot of your playback devices."

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:38 AM

It will not be easy to check if the built in speakers are disconnected. Most of the time it requires taking the computer apart. Sometimes the connection will be under the keyboard (if you are lucky). If the sound did not work in linux my guess is that there is a problem. By chance, are you still connected to a tv through the display port? Linux may default to that same device. If you have a dvi or vga connection I might recommend trying that.

As for taking a screen shot of playback devices, you can use the windows "snipping tool" to take a picture of your playback devices, to find the snipping tools, in your start menu in the search programs and files type snipping tool and hit enter, then use your mouse to select the area of the screen you want to take a screen shot of (open playback devices first as posted above) then save the file to your desktop and on this page, use the "more reply options" button to attach the picture.

example I will post below:

Attached File  playback.JPG   31.15KB   0 downloads

Edited by zingo156, 06 March 2014 - 08:40 AM.

#8 joecartoonfn

joecartoonfn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:46 PM

Ok I attached a pic of my sound settings. I right clicked the speaker and pressed "Test" and it showed the green bars going up, but no sound. So probably a physical speaker problem?Attached File  sound.PNG   83.02KB   0 downloads

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:57 PM

Do you have headphones currently plugged in? The sound will default to that device. You can disable it by right clicking then disable. Check your headphone jack, I have seen some headphone 3.5mm jacks break inside of the laptop, this will default the sound to the headphones and could be the problem. If you are seeing the bar move but hear no sound. Because it did not work in linux, I suspect a hardware related problem. It could be that the speakers somehow came disconnected, the speakers failed, or something is jammed in the headphone jack...

#10 joecartoonfn

joecartoonfn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:12 PM

I did not have headphones plugged in, but I just plugged some it to see what would happen, and no sound came out of them either. This is truly puzzling, as that means that the speakers may not be the problem?

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

Speakers may not be the problem and it is unlikely, it is fairly difficult for the connection to come unplugged, usually it would require some sort of fall or drop etc. I have seen some instances where sound cards have failed, this could be the case unfortunately this is built into the motherboard and is not usually cheap to fix.

How did you test the sound in linux? The volume is not muted anywhere is it? Is there a volume nob or button you can use to adjust the volume level?

#12 joecartoonfn

joecartoonfn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:48 PM

If it is the soundcard, It wouldnt send sound to the tv would it? Or does the display port use a different thing for sound? On linux, i tested the volume by opening some youtube videos, and I did make sure that the sound was not muted and was turned up all the way.

#13 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

Hi, by the looks of things it looks like it is only the analogue side of the sound system not working.. I assume the display port is a HDMI, (its the only type that supports sound out) which is actually a digital output and the sound is converted to analogue inside the TV.

Another test for this if you can obtain or borrow some, would be a USB type headset as that also is a digital output converted to analogue usually in a small control box part way along the lead. If a USB headset will work that will confirm the digital side is OK.

Nev.

Why all the fuss, I already have Windows 8. Three windows at the front, and five at the back since I bought the house.
Posted Image

#14 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:43 AM

As plastic nev posted above, the analogue device is what seems to have failed, the headphones and built in speakers use an analogue signal, HDMI, Display port, Dual Link DVI-D all can carry a digital signal which runs separate from analogue. This is why sound through your video output still functions but headphones and speakers do not. Also posted by plastic nev, you can get usb sound devices some even go to analogue headphone and microphone. I have posted examples below of a few usb speakers and usb-analogue adapters.

USB speakers http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-S150-Speakers-Digital-Sound/dp/B000ZH98LU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394199726&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+speakers

USB-Analogue (headphones + mic 3.5mm) http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-CM-UAUD-Adapter-C-Media-Chipset/dp/B001MSS6CS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394199781&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+to+3.5mm

#15 joecartoonfn

joecartoonfn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:10 PM

Thank you so much. Is there any way to fix the analogue device? I assume I must open the computer or replace a part?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users