Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is "myfree CODEC" really malware/junk?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 topher1

topher1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

Like most people, I think I've discovered that more than one tool is needed to really detect and clean all the dust bunnies from the cracks and crevices of my computer.  AdwCleaner finds and reports "myfree CODEC" but gives me the option of removing it or not.  I had elected to keep it as it apparantly is required by Kies and I use Kies to update my Samsung Android phones.  I've searched the web and not seen any information that suggests it really is malware/adware.

Yesterday I decided to try JRT and much to my dismay it ripped out myfree CODEC without any questions being asked.

So what's the story here? 

(1)  Is myfree CODEC OK or does it actually track and report something back? 

(2)  What do I have to do the next time I want to use Kies?

(3)  Is it possible to feed JRT an "ignore" list for things like this?

On a similar note...

(3)  Why does AdwCleaner flag "NCH Software?"  I actually paid for that audio toolset and like it.

Thanks!

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:56 PM

What is MyFreeCodec?

JRT (Junkware Removal Tool) is a free non-interactive batch program created by thisisu (a member of the BC Malware Response Team) that will remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, extensions, add-ons, browser helper objects (BHOs) and other junkware. JRT is designed to remove all traces of these types of programs which includes services, registry values, registry keys, files, folders and potentially unwanted extensions. JRT will also restore some default settings for Internet Explorer, Mozilla FireFox and Google Chrome. JRT automatically removes whatever it finds...there are no options to skip or ignore detections and no option to backup/restore removed items.

AdwCleaner is a free portable adware cleaner created by Xplode (a BC Security Colleague) that will search for and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, extensions, add-ons, browser helper objects (BHOs) and other junkware to include many related registry entries (values, keys). It will also clean FF and Chrome extensions and Add-ons. In some cases AdwCleaner may detect items related to legitimate programs...a search should always be performed first so the detections can be reviewed. When first run AdwCleaner includes options under the tabs to show what was found and to allow disabling detections you want to keep since not all detections are necessarily bad. The only things you can't uncheck is Chrome and Firefox preferences lines but you still can view them in the "Chrome" and "Firefox" tab.

PUPs do not fall in the same category as malicious files such as viruses, Trojans, worms, rootkits and bots. A PUP is a very broad threat category which can encompass any number of different programs to include those which are benign as well as malicious. To learn more about PUPs and how you get them, please read: About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:04 PM

If AdwCleaner is removing a legitimate file, you can report the detection to the developer in this topic: AdwCleaner Whitelist Additions

#4 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:27 AM

MyFree Codec is only required if you use Kies to transfer multimedia content to or from your smartphone or play multimedia that is stored on your smartphone.

If you only use Kies for firmware upgrades and backups or syncing, then you don't need MyFree Codec.

I have Kies and the download only places the MyFree Codec installer package on the hdd, it doesn't actually install it until Kies determines that a codec is needed which is not currently installed on your system.

I do find it interesting that Samsung are pushing out beta version codecs to their customers as 'beta' means that it may still have bugs.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:09 AM

What is MyFreeCodec?

MyFree Codec contains files which are necessary to play various media files from your device to Samsung Kies. It is automatically installed when upgrading or installing Samsung Kies. KIES utilizes the playing functionality and if it is not installed then you might experience errors when using various features or playing some media files, typically AVI or MPEGs or other movie or audio files.

#6 topher1

topher1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:40 PM

Quietman7 & dis62...

I appreciate your replies however both of you have provided information I already knew from my searches of the web.  Unfortunately this doesn't answer my question.  While I am quite willing to report myfree CODEC as a FP... I'd like to do that knowing that I am correct. 

The question is:  Does anyone know if it actually collects user data and/or reports information back to Samsung or my Service Provider or leaves it laying around on my PC where anyone else could pick it up?  That is:  Does it fit the classic defintion of malicious SW, Malware or Adware?  (I can see how it might be classed as a PUP.)

And then... same questions about NCH Software.

Chris

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:20 PM

Kies is a Samsung product for Smart Phones and Tablets. While I can find no information on their website, various users have reported that Kies will prompt for EULA acceptance/installation of MyFreeCodec (by Korean developer ENJsoft Inc) to fully enable all its playing functionality while others have reported the installation was automatic.

System Explorer provided the following note.

This Codec pack installer appears to be VALID and a NON-THREAT, when installed as PART OF the KIES app from trusted Samsung. Moreover, Kaspersky network considers this file as TRUSTED by over 10,000 of its KSN members.

As of 2013 Jan, the filesize was 3,681KB (3.59MB) and version 1.0.2012.1210, and was signed by "Samsung Electronics CO., LTD.", according to Windows Explorer properties.

The EULA prompt concludes with the following verbiage:
"MyFree Codec Pack (Beta)
Copyright © 2007, ENJsoft Inc.
www.enjsoft.com
info@enjsoft.com
Windows 2000/XP/VISTA

Samsung Privacy Policy provides a description of what information they may collect.

NCH Software provides a variety of software programs for audio, video, editing, ripping, graphics, and AVI/Mp3/Sound converters. They also recently released a program called Warp Speed PC Tune-up which purports to clean and optimize Windows registry. Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.

I have read that during installation, NCH Software installs Google Chrome Toolbar by default and is known to bundle other on-demand components such as codecs. The NCH Software Privacy Policy provides a description of what information they may collect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users