Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reinstalled xp on a generic computer, and now it won't connect to internet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 berbes

berbes

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:57 PM

how can i find what drivers i need for a generic computer to connect to the internet, pls?  i looked at device manager, and it only shows the !'s with nothing else identifiable.  i used one of those DRP driver downloads to find the currently functioning drivers for video, audio, etc.

thanks!

Edited by berbes, 05 March 2014 - 12:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:01 PM

Download and run PCI-Z on the computer.  That should give you information about the installed devices.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:48 PM

If you are referring to a custom built computer as "generic" it is a OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) computer, like Dell, HP, Gateway, Toshiba, etc.

If it is a OEM Please post the make and model.

If this is a custom build please post the make and model of the motherboard.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 berbes

berbes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:49 PM

yup, it's a built by someone else with lots of different parts, ara.  thanks for the correct terminology :).  i will be poring over the board when i get it back tonight.  i got a program called 'belarc advisor', hopefully that will tell me what i need to know (what motherboard make/model i need the drivers for) without digging into the computer again.  

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:58 PM

If this is a custom build the motherboard should have come with a CD with the drivers on it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 berbes

berbes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:46 PM

if only it was that easy.  customer didn't have anything, so after installing belarc advisor and finding out what was there (GREAT program), i went to the gigabyte website, popped in the name/model of the board, BING! up popped the chipset & atheros ethernet drivers needed.  thanks for the directions, though!!

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:59 PM

That's where this was headed, glad you figured it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users