Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my computer crashed compaq presario sr1630NX. its the hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

My computer crashed yesterday.  I think thats the term for it.  Its running windows xp.  Well, I shut it off at night, and when I tried to turn it on in the morning, the computer came on , the fan started spinning, lights came on, but the hard drive kept making clicking noises.  So, I hurriedly took out the hard drive, and retrieved my data from the hard drive through that IDE-USB adapter.  So, at least that was safe now

I think the disk is bad, and I need to replace it.  However I dont really want to pay for a whole new operating system.  Is there a way to transfer the operating system from the old drive to the new drive with its activation status, so that I dont start gettting those pesky activation notices?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:54 PM

You can use disk imaging software, such as Macrium Reflect FREE Edition, to clone the old hard disk to a new one.  Once the new cloned disk has been installed, you will be asked to restart your system after you first boot it, so that Windows can reconfigure for the hardware change.  You will not need to reactivate Windows if you do this.

One thing to watch out for is that if the new disk is a different size to the old one and you have more than one partition on the disk, the software may dynamically resize the partitions and if you have diagnostics and/or recovery partitions you might want to keep the size of those the same as on the old disk.

#3 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:48 PM

okay, but if I clone the drive, will it also copy all the programs and data?  And what if there were viruses on the old hard drive, will those also be copied?  

Also, one more question,  would the drive that will be cloned have to be in the computer and the other drive connected by USB?  Or can I have the old drive external and the new drive internal?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:19 PM

A clone is an exact copy.

How the program used for cloning...how it works...varies by program.  If you read the instructions for using said program, it will answer many questions.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users