Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking to upgrade

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 khawk89

khawk89

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:31 AM

Hey, I had a fairly mid ranged computer made in june 2011 and was looking to upgrade to more current components. It's a gaming computer, so graphics and performance are important. 

The current build (copied from cyberpower system invoice):

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5 2500 Quad Core 3.3GHz 6MB cache LGA1155 + HD Graphics 
MEMORY: 4GB (2x2GB) PC10666 DDR3/1333mhz Dual Channel Memory 
MOTHERBOARD: MSI P67A-C45 P67 DDR3 Intel LGA1155 DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, SATAIII USB3.0 
OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX460 1GB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Power by NVIDIA)

Brand new PSU: 600 Watt Corsair CXM Modular ATX/EPS

To increase the performance I know you need to up the graphics and cpu but I'm really not sure what they have to be compatible with, or even what is top end anymore. (Been out of the computer component loop for a while and the industry moves fast)

I was thinking of Intel i5 4670 quad core and Nvidia Geforce GTX750 TI 2GB. Is that high enough an upgrade to warrant the costs, would they be compatible with the rest of the components etc?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Edited by khawk89, 05 March 2014 - 11:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:18 PM

I would start with the RAM for now, grab either 2 sticks of 2 (for a total of 8) or 2 sticks of 4 (for a total of 12), and see what that does for you for now.

Honestly a buddy of mine is running an AMD 955 B.E. quad, 8GB of RAM (PNY 1333 2x4GB), and the same video card you listed (identical actually)

and he runs most games on high settings, some he has to turn down a little bit but they are still very playable.

In order to get the CPU you mentioned you would need a new motherboard, and overall you would see almost no performance increase, (see here) you may benefit from a graphics upgrade, but I would say grab some RAM, save up for a while longer (like 6-12 months) and wait for the next wave of things to come out (haswell is 9 months old at this point, the next version should be out soon ish) and the 750TI again wouldn't be a HUGE increase, but probably noticeable. (By the way both cards recommend 8GB of RAM as a minimum)

#3 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:23 PM

You have a very good CPU.You need to buy a new Videocard,because it is weak compared to CPU.They both are working together when you play games.Also you can buy memory to increase it`s volume.It is fine to be the same as existing one.So two sticks 4GB (2x2GB) like yours.Power Supply is enough powerful.If you want to step on Haswell platform you must buy new motherboard,except CPU.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:35 PM

The benefits of changing to an i5-4670 will be fairly minimal, and it will need at least a new motherboard, possibly new RAM.  Yes it's a faster CPU but not by that much.  Definitely more memory (8Gb) will be good and personally I would get a better graphics card than the GTX 750 Ti if you want to make a really noticeable upgrade.  A GTX 760 is about 50% faster than a GTX 750 Ti (and about 100% faster than the GTX 460).

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

I absolutely agree with jonuk76.GTX 750 is as cuted you can see.It`s 128 bit card.GTX 660 is 192 bit and have more Cuda Cores.GTX 760 is 256 bit and more Cuda cores than previous.

#6 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:17 AM

you didn't mention what kind of hard drives you're using: adding a 240 GB (or whatever) SSD for your OS, etc. will speed things up noticeably. it's a reasonably inexpensive upgrade, which is good cuz I agree with all the posters who recommended increasing RAM/GPU.

Edited by defanged, 07 March 2014 - 04:17 AM.

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

#7 khawk89

khawk89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:58 AM

Okay cheers guys. Our hard drive is 1TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16M Cache Hard Drive - just the one hard drive though my partner was thinking of adding another just for back up purposes. 

I'll look into adding more ram. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users