Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer screen went blank and remains blank after restarts :(

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 ZashieYo

ZashieYo

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:13 AM

After i bought a new PSU and graphics card i've got this problem now,

When i booted up the PC after a few mins the screen went blank (it was doing it last night during gaming too) but now on restarting the PC it won't show a display at all.

System specs if needs be

Intel Core i7 3770K

POV Nvidia Geforce GTX 590 (Sli mode disabled due to performance issues for some reason.)

32GB DDR3 1333MHZ RAM

GIGABYTE Z68 AP-D3 Mobo

1TB Seagate barracuda

Corsair CX750 PSU.

Windows 7 Ultimate

the Nvidia card's LED is still glowing, not blinking to indicate a problem however all 4 lights (one red, one green and two yellow|) on my motherboard remain on and i am wondering if it is diagnostic lights.

:( i hope my computer hasn't died, can't be that the PSU is not enough, no components are overclocked,

stuff to add

Those lights im talking about on the mobo are the Phase LED's all of them are currently on, screen is still blank, and the graphic card LED (the 590 came with the LED , good for showing offness but handy for saying if somethings up) Isn't showing any issues and remains on, CPU fan is spinning and yes the BIOS is updated, all cables are in but i dunno what be the cause.

(if it's the 590 i'll just get a 7950)

Edited by ZashieYo, 05 March 2014 - 11:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:58 AM

Try removing the video card and boot with the motherboard integrated video (you may have to change settings in the BIOS, or maybe not, see your manual) and see if you get monitor video then. If so, you have a problem vid card. If still no joy, try swapping the monitor with another to test. If still no video, it may be your power supply. Without a power supply tester it will be difficult to test, but if you can swap in the old power supply (that is if it is in working condition, of course) that will tell.Usually when something bad happens immediately after installing new hardware, the new hardware is the first suspect.

Post back with what you discover.

#3 Ant.Man

Ant.Man

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

I have reviewed your mobo manual, found here.  I find no reference to diagnostic LEDs present on the motherboard.

After checking all connections, the first test for 'no video' is to remove all RAM (faulting RAM is the most common cause of no video at POST).

POST will report an error for no RAM, but if you now have video, the problem may be isolated.

Edited by Ant.Man, 05 March 2014 - 11:25 AM.

This is not my signature.

#4 ZashieYo

ZashieYo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

XD *regrets getting a EVO 212 cooler for the RAM part* gonna need zee hands of a surgeon to do this, but im gonna try the ram thing first

one thing i noticed is it does a quick restart after a few mins.

will do the ram bit first, then i'll report back

1st go i removed one of the 8GB Sticks (4x8gb, now 3x8gb), now the PC is loop restarting, still no screen.

2nd , removed the 2nd ram stick, LED's have dissapeared, and so has the restart loop, but no screen still

Edited by ZashieYo, 05 March 2014 - 11:38 AM.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

Was that 590 new or used when you bought it?

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 Ant.Man

Ant.Man

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

Please report if you have installed a motherboard speaker.  If not, it is a wise investment.  You should be able to find one locally for around $2.

$5 at NewEgg

If the problem is on the motherboard and detectable in POST, the speaker will provide a clue to the cause.

See page 26 of the manual for location and placement.

I am new to this forum and do not yet know how to attach an image.

1st go i removed one of the 8GB Sticks (4x8gb, now 3x8gb), now the PC is loop restarting, still no screen.

Remove ALL RAM for this test.

#7 ZashieYo

ZashieYo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:44 AM

did the no ram test, Still no screen, should i run with a single bit of RAM or presume the ram isnt the issue then? PSU wise i dunno if i could test on another PSU, i have a 500W Enermax PSU but 500W isn't enough for a big mammoth of a GTX 590

590 Was used bought it for 180, if it was new i'd be like...omg

gonna do the Onboard test.

Edited by ZashieYo, 05 March 2014 - 11:47 AM.

#8 Ant.Man

Ant.Man

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:02 PM

You have reasonably proven that RAM is not the issue (unless all sticks faulted, not likely).

I strongly recommend acquiring the system speaker.  The problem you are reporting may not be on your PC.  It could be the monitor or monitor cable.

If the fault is on the motherboard or an add-on card, even the PSU, your mobo may be reporting the specific cause, but you cannot hear the report.

The next most reasonable test is to attach a known working monitor, using a known working monitor cable.

Edited by Ant.Man, 05 March 2014 - 12:05 PM.

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:07 PM

My first test would be with a different GPU...

I have started seeing quite a few bad 500 series cards showing up. The reason is almost always dust and heat build up, these cards are starting to get older and many people do not know that video cards and computers in general need to be dusted out to prevent over heating. I never recommend buying used video cards, I know many people who have bought used cards and have had nothing but problems with them (unless you can find a used card that has a lifetime warranty even when transfered to another person, XFX did this for a little while and I believe they still do this with Black Edition cards if the first person to buy the card registers correctly).  It seems most of the used cards were over heated and have problems. Some people "re-flow" the gpu's to get them working again and then sell them, but re-flowing has been a problem for me with about 60% of the cards failing within a few weeks or months. I never sell a reflowed video card due to the failure rates. I will re-flow for clients but always warn against it and it is at their risk.

Edited by zingo156, 05 March 2014 - 12:17 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#10 Ant.Man

Ant.Man

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:09 PM

PSU wise i dunno if i could test on another PSU, i have a 500W Enermax PSU but 500W isn't enough for a big mammoth of a GTX 590

Consistent with BC Advisor's suggestion - remove the video card and use the onboard video.

Do this BEFORE swapping PSU.

Edited by Ant.Man, 05 March 2014 - 12:09 PM.

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:21 PM

One more question, was the PSU new? There have been problems with a few corsair psu's recently, a few were posted on bleepingcomputer.com, I helped with a problem only about a month ago about a brand new 850w Corsair where the computer only crashed under load the PSU was the issue.

I use corsair in all my builds and have not had issues, maybe they have had a bad batch or changed the design...

It may be worth testing that card with a different psu as well. The onboard may work fine due to the lower demand but then the 590 being a hog puts more stress on the psu and then it fails.

If onboard does not work you should test with 1 stick of ram at a time. 1 stick could be causing the no post. You can test with 1 at a time and swap them to find the bad stick (if you have a bad stick) It could also be a slot on the board, so if a single stick does not work in slow 1 try it in slot 2 etc.

Edited by zingo156, 05 March 2014 - 12:49 PM.

#12 ZashieYo

ZashieYo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:06 PM

PSU is brand new yeah, :0

I've put in my old 550ti and blank screen still, no RAM inside still And i know the 550ti works fine

#13 Ant.Man

Ant.Man

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:14 PM

You are testing components in the wrong order.  NOTHING reported in this thread indicts any component on the motherboard, and the no RAM test essentially eliminates one known cause for the reported affect.

Return the RAM to the slots. Faulty RAM is essentially ruled out.

Connect an alternate working monitor.

There is NO substitute for the motherboard's POST reporting, either through a POST card (extensive & detailed) or the less expensive (and less robust) system speaker.

You can replace everything in the PC and still not have video if the monitor or monitor cable is failed.

Edited by Ant.Man, 05 March 2014 - 01:15 PM.

#14 ZashieYo

ZashieYo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:34 PM

Okay UPDATE

550ti is showing a display with a stick of RAM in.

590 dead?

Edited by ZashieYo, 05 March 2014 - 01:34 PM.

#15 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:42 PM

if the 590 shows no video in the exact same configuration as the 550ti, I would assume the 590 is dead or there is a power issue. The 590 uses significantly more than the 550ti. The PSU or the 590 itself are the last 2 possibilities. It would seem the 590 is the likely culprit but to rule out psu for certain you would need to test with another psu which can provide enough power for the 590.

You must have at least 1 stick of ram in for any computer to post. Retest the 590 with the same setup the 550ti worked in if you have not done so.

Edited by zingo156, 05 March 2014 - 01:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users