Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

F8 recovery error

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 immisfit

immisfit

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:13 AM

Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron 531, running Vista with Service Pack 2. Bought new (a few years back.)
Recently I've had some malware problems with my PC, and to deal with it I've decided that I am going to do a system recovery.
I turn on my PC, and press F8 for advanced boot options.
Select Repair my PC.
It loads a bit, then I encounter a problem on startup I get to the logon screen and all it shows is "other user" with the username/pass fields blank.
this is my personal computer and has only one user account. Mine, which is the administrator.
The problem is, that when I enter the information for this account, which is the only one on my PC, It says that it is not recognized or cannot be contacted.
If anyone has experienced similar problems, or if this is NOT referring to a user account but something else instead, I would greatly appreciate some help from you. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:47 AM

Enter Administrator as the username and leave the password blank.  Does that work?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:02 PM

If you leave the password blank you will need to press Enter to continue.

Can you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?

If you have malware you should address this with the proper software.  A system Recovery will delete your data and any programs which were installed via a CD or download.

I would suggest starting with Malwarebytes.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

1)  Double-click on mbam-setup.exe, then click on Run to install the application, follow the prompts through the installation.

2)  When the installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:

Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Then click on Finish.

3)  MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. 

4)  Click on perform Quick Scan, then click on the Scan button.

If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.

5)  The scan will now begin, this may take some time to complete so please be patient.

6)  When the scan is finished click on Show Results to display all objects found.

7)  Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.

8)  Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.

Make sure that every item shown in the results has a check mark in the box next to it, then click on Remove Selected.

9)  When removal is completed, a log will open in Notepad.

This log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.Copy and paste the contents of the log in your next post, then exit MBAM.

Important:  If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Reagardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Please copy the Malwarebytes log and paste it in your next post.

To locate this file right click on the Start orb and choose Open Windows Explorer, then click on C: drive.

When the C: drive opens click on the following:  ProgramData, Malwarebytes, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Logs.  

If there is more than one log, choose the log with the date that you ran scan that I requested.

If there are a large number of items found you can go into Settings and click on Scanner Settings to change the setting in Action for potentially unwanted programs (PUP) to Show in results list and check for removal.

Malwarebytessettings_zpsb9b50638.png

Edited by dc3, 05 March 2014 - 01:07 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 immisfit

immisfit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:46 AM

Hello and Thanks for the reply. Yes I can  enter Safe Mode with Networking.  I tried using administrator / enter to logon, didn't work. I am downloading the program for the malware and going to follow your instructions  to help with that. But I still want  to find a way to get to the recovery partition or I feel it is just wasted memory.

Thanks Again

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:49 AM

You should be able to access the System Recovery partition by pressing and holding the Ctrl key and tapping the F11 key when you see the Dell splash screen.

You should be aware that if you use this you will lose all of your data and any programs which were downloaded or installed from a disc.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users