Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New to this forum Hello

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mikeb906

mikeb906

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:40 AM

A business partner and I support a private not for profit charter School in New Orleans. I have the old MCSE and a few hard knocks from that school. We are always learning new stuff in an ever changing IT world. The students are very savvy and find lots of ways to challenge security. I hope our experience might be beneficial to others . We are looking for help building a better "homemade" utility diagnostic, repair disc like ERD but better ,more useful and current.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:03 AM

Hello and welcome!

I use GRUB4DOS to create bootable media and customize it with my favorite tools for diagnostics etc. The tools I currently have on it: Hirens bootcd15.2, memtest86(4.2 and 5.0), MHDD (my favorite hard drive test), ntfs4dos, passwordchanger (for resetting forgotten windows login passwords, unless they are on a domain, also it does not work for windows 8, 8.1), pmagic (parted magic is my favorite linux distro with many options to help recover data from bad hard drives, it used to be free but now costs 4.99), quicktech (a quick test for most hardware and I use it mostly for testing keyboards in laptops now), SpinRite (another hard drive test that can sometimes recover data from bad sectors and reallocate them), active@ (a windows 7 like os for imaging new hard drives with whatever os I choose from images I have already created), TuffTest (a really simple hard drive test, either there are errors or there are not, I typically only use this if spinrite or MHDD will not run).

GRUB4DOS: http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/grub4dos

Edited by zingo156, 05 March 2014 - 09:05 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users