Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem Issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Lewis

Mark Lewis

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 14 May 2006 - 09:35 PM

How can I find out the manufacturer of my modem? I have an old computer, that the original manufacturer does not have any records of anymore. I've had to format my HDD several time, but have lost the CD that contains the driver for the modem. Right now, I just have the Standard Modem 56K installed, but the driver date is from 1999. I need to find out the manufacturer of the modem, so I might be able to get updated drivers.

I have a PII333 with 192MB RAM and Win 98.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 12:46 AM

There are several things that you can do, you could pull the card out to see what you have, or you could download Everest Home Edition which if you click on computer and scroll down the list you will find your modem, or you could just spend $10 - $15 and purchase a new one, here's one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16825130005

If you want to download Everest here's the link.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 01:51 AM

The Everest Home 1.51 program will give you the most information, but I have a couple of system utilities you may find useful.

Start> Run> msinfo32
Start> Run> dxdiag

Good luck.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 07:11 AM

There are several things that you can do, you could pull the card out to see what you have

That's always been the most reliable way.
Get the chipset name and numbers as well as the fcc id numbers.
The problem with third party software like everest is it pulls info from installed drivers.
Windows may mis-identify the HW yet install drivers that will work, hence, you get the wrong info.
Everest is good utility provided everything is installed correctly to start with.
Call me old school but it's the only way I do it. :thumbsup:

#5 Mark Lewis

Mark Lewis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:20 AM

There are several things that you can do, you could pull the card out to see what you have

That's always been the most reliable way.
Get the chipset name and numbers as well as the fcc id numbers.
The problem with third party software like everest is it pulls info from installed drivers.
Windows may mis-identify the HW yet install drivers that will work, hence, you get the wrong info.
Everest is good utility provided everything is installed correctly to start with.
Call me old school but it's the only way I do it. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I have tried a couple of the downloadable software, such as Everest, but all the told me was that I had a Standard Modem. *L*

I guess I'll hafta take my modem out and give it a look. Thanks y'all! :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users