Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange random screen captures.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 r0cko

r0cko

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:38 PM

This is a new one for me guys, I repair electronics and computers for a living but my poor mother has something going on on her computer where random screen captures are being taken on a regular basis. I've done a complete virus removal session with LogMeIn to no avail and I've found no mention of anything like this so far through Google searches.

The way she noticed was in her Windows Photo Gallery. These aren't cached images from the web or anything, it's literally taking full screenshots continously. Even when I'm remoting in, I'm logged in right now so I guarantee there are several full screen captures of this as I'm typing!

Anyone heard of this one before? I haven't found any suspicious processes or anything so it's either a fluke, like a setting in Windows or maybe a program she's installed or spyware of some sort. I haven't made any progress so far...

Just curious if anyone else has any experiences like this.

Thanks,

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Nostromov

Nostromov

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:40 PM

I haven't found any suspicious processes or anything so it's either a fluke, like a setting in Windows or maybe a program she's installed or spyware of some sort.

So you've checked *all* of the stuff, like using CCleaner / msconfig.exe to see the Startup entries and/or Run... services.msc 2 see if there's something *strange* there (although it would prolly show up in Task Manager, yea)

#3 r0cko

r0cko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:10 AM

I haven't found any suspicious processes or anything so it's either a fluke, like a setting in Windows or maybe a program she's installed or spyware of some sort.

So you've checked *all* of the stuff, like using CCleaner / msconfig.exe to see the Startup entries and/or Run... services.msc 2 see if there's something *strange* there (although it would prolly show up in Task Manager, yea)

Haven't used CCleaner, I tend to get more hardcore than that, but I'm pretty sure she runs it regularly. I'll double check on that one. Haven't had time to check through the services yet, but I'm mainly curious whether anyone else has experienced this.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:36 AM

I'd start with a stuck Print Screen key...as a premise for any capture that doesn't employ other programs for such.

Louis

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,619 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

There are programs that will take screen shots on a schedule that you set....some free. The fact that they are being sent to the photo gallery without

user interaction leads me to think that there is a program doing do this.

Are screen shots done on what appears a scheduled basis...every so many minutes, etc.?

Of course, there are keyloggers used by criminals, too....malware. But I don't recall anyone of those putting the screen shots into such an obvious

location.

Suggest you check ALL programs installed on the computer and ALL add-ons in ALL browsers installed on the computer. 

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 r0cko

r0cko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:36 PM

Yes, it seems to be every so many minutes that it takes a screen shot. To the guy above , Just pressing Print Screen captures the current screen in memory but doesn't save it as a file.

I haven't had a chance to dig into it deeper yet but I appreciate the feedback! Keep it coming. This is most likely an installed program, but it's also likely that it might be a new malware so I'm trying to figure out what I'm fighting against here. Still haven't found any insight on the web yet.

Edited by r0cko, 05 March 2014 - 10:44 PM.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,619 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:46 AM

If you have checked the listing of ALL programs and add-ons installed and have found nothing that's causing this, I suggest you

post another topic.

Follow the directions here: Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs

Then post in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs Forum - BleepingComputer.com Forum.

I suggest that until the problem is resolved not to do any banking or any other financial transactions using the computer with the problem until the problem is resolved.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users