Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"There's a problem with a server's certificate" Windows 8 Mail

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cecilia421

Cecilia421

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:48 PM

Sooooo... Here's the problem

Two computers, a desktop and a laptop, both running Windows 8.1, both have all available updates installed, both are connected to the same home wireless network.

On my laptop, when I access my email in the Windows Mail app, under Settings > Account > Gmail (and Yahoo), it jumps to the bottom of the page under the section for the IMAP settings, where it says: "There's a problem with a server's security certificate." When I click "Details," it says "The certificate isn't from a trusted source. Malicious servers might use fake certificates that cause this error." That's it. No error code. It gives me the option to "Ignore certificate errors," which is "(not recommended)." It seems to be downloading the mail, though, so I'm not sure what's going on.

On my desktop with the same Windows account synced over both machines, same email account information, there is no error.

I've tried to Google this but I haven't turned up anything. Does anybody know what's going on here? Why are two machines with the same IMAP information disagreeing about the server certificate's authenticity? This is for both my Gmail and my Yahoo account, so I would think it must be Windows.

I've restarted the laptop twice to see if it would just go away, but no luck.

Please help!

"Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards."
- Soren Kierkegaard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cecilia421

Cecilia421
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:59 PM

:oopsign:

OK - sorry. As soon as I posted this, I went back to Google and read somewhere online that changing your date/time settings can affect the Mail app's certificate verification and I was fiddling with my clock yesterday. There's a "real time" oriented PC game that I play and I was trying to speed it up.  :rolleyes:  I guess I won't do that any more...  

I removed both accounts and added them back, and the server error is now gone. So, we're good here.

Edited by Cecilia421, 04 March 2014 - 03:59 PM.

- Soren Kierkegaard

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:01 PM

Thank You for reporting back on the solution.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Cecilia421

Cecilia421
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:47 PM

No problem... Although I can sympathize with the people who don't. I had quite the "duh" moment there...  :whistle:

- Soren Kierkegaard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users