Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New upgrades. Now freezes on Windows 7 Startup screen, follow by crash/repair

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 joeboarder14

joeboarder14

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

Hello,

My name is Joe. In 2010, I had some freinds help me build my first computer. I listed the parts below.

Motherboard - GA-EP45T-USB3 LGA 775
CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Core Q8400 Yorkfeild
RAM - Geil Ultra GU34GM2200C9
Graphics Card - XFX Geforce GTS 250
HD - WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM

I recently ordered and replaced everything here except for the WD Hard Drive(which I'm not sure if this is the issue. RPMs?, Cache?, No idea). The Hard was fine before I swapped out the parts. The new parts are.

Motherboard - GA-B85-HD2 
CPU - Intel i5-4670K Haswell LGA 1150
RAM - Corsair Dominator(which was the wrong one, but I then I tried Corsair Vegence CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B) Still same result below.
Graphics Card - Gigabyte GV-N760OC-2GD GeForce GTX 760
Here is the tricky part(for me at least). I want to use the same HD because I have a lot of stuff, but I also ordered a Seagate Constellation ES.3 ST1000NM0023.that I wanted to use as a slave HD. Is this the problem? If not can someone please explain the procedures? The bios on this new motherboard is badass, but I have no idea how to use it lol. 

Finally, Once I Installed and hooked up my Corsair TV 850W PS to the parts, I turned it on, and it went to the Windows Starting scree, then froze, the blue screen flashed, then self repair, followed by shut down. Does it eeverytime(like 20 times).

Can somebody please explain what I need to do? I tried reseating everything, swapped memory(only because it was the wrong one in the first place, yet it does the same thing with the "right" memory, ei. freezes at start up), I messed with bios, but I am not too familiar so I stopped. 

I sincerely appreciate your time for even reading, and would appreciate insightful responses even more. Please indulge me and help me out,

Thank you,

-Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:11 PM

Hi, the issue you having is due to the old operating system attempting to boot up using the older drivers and software which is incompatible with the new hardware. The solution is to purchase a new copy of Windows 8.1 which means reinstalling everything and wiping out the old contents on the WD hard drive. 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:28 PM

What is your operating system first?You have bought very good CPU and bad motherboard.Slave hard was doing before years and is connected with IDE or ATA harddrives.The cable is white,wide and thin.

#4 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:59 AM

I can't imagine windows 7 not being able to run on that hardware. You don't need to buy windows 8.1

Try pressing F8 during bootup (there's a certain moment to press it, you can't press it too soon or too late or you won't get this menu) to get the Advanced Boot Options menu. Then pick Disable automatic restart on system failure (like you see here: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/disable-auto-restart-windows-7_2.htm )   Then you should be able to read the blue screen window and post what it says.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:07 AM

don't need to buy windows 8.1

The current copy of Windows 7 license is tied with the old motherboard and from the EULA, you cannot transfer it to a new system (new motherboard) unless the OP has a official retail copy of Windows 7, hence my suggestion of purchasing a new copy of Windows. Also is it not necessary to work out why it is bluescreening as the old OS that is installed on the WD drive contains old drivers from the previous motherboard.

Edited by killerx525, 05 March 2014 - 03:09 AM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:43 AM

What is your operating system first?

Please read this topic's title, it clearly states Windows 7 as the operating system in question here.

joeboarder14, If your hard drive contains an install of Windows 7 from a previous motherboard setup, this may be part of the reasons for your current problem. Whenever an operating system is installed on a hard drive with motherboard number one and that same hard drive is moved to another motherboard, things will not work out as you might as expect them to.

Besides Windows 7 complaining that you pirated it because it is being recognized as being installed on possibly two different computer systems (even if it is still on the same hard drive) the operating system was originally set up to work properly with your original system setup (the original motherboard.) That could very well be the reason you are having these issues.

Now, please excuse me if I misunderstood you, you never mentioned that you reinstalled your windows 7 operating system once the hard drive was connected to a different motherboard, so I am assuming you only moved the hard drive from system number one to system number two and still have the original installation of windows 7 on the current hard drive in question.

I am not sure if your copy of Windows 7 is an OEM copy or retail copy, if it is an OEM copy that was tied to your original computer system, you can not reuse it on another system. So you need to buy a retail copy such as Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. If your copy is a retail copy, then you are fine to transfer it to another system. But it is best to re-install your copy of windows 7 as a fresh install so it is properly setup for your new motherboard.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 05 March 2014 - 03:56 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:47 AM

(in response to killerx525),

I don't know why you are highlighting the word "buy". I wasn't saying that he could get 8.1 without paying for it, I was saying that he doesn't necessarily have to get 8.1 at all.

We don't know that his copy of Windows 7 has a license that tied it to his old motherboard, he didn't even specify which version of windows he has. He could easily have the retail version.

You said the solution is to buy windows 8.1, as in there are no other options or solutions, hence why I said he doesn't need to buy 8.1. He could buy windows 7, or windows 8, or use linux, or maybe continue to use his windows 7 if the license is right for it etc.

Working out why it's bluescreening could help lead to a solution no? Maybe if he could get past that and into windows, he could do a repair install and get rid of the old drivers, I don't know.

Alternately, and now I'm kind of just grasping at straws because I'm not sure if you can do this or if it could work, but you could try putting the hard drive back into the old computer, going into windows and removing all of the drivers (so it just has basic windows ones) and then try putting it in the new machine. I'm just trying to help the guy, not tell him to go buy windows 8.1? And really, he's trying to make his computer *better* not worse... :P

Edited by bludshot, 05 March 2014 - 03:51 AM.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:22 AM

(in response to killerx525),

I don't know why you are highlighting the word "buy". I wasn't saying that he could get 8.1 without paying for it, I was saying that he doesn't necessarily have to get 8.1 at all.

We don't know that his copy of Windows 7 has a license that tied it to his old motherboard, he didn't even specify which version of windows he has. He could easily have the retail version.

You said the solution is to buy windows 8.1, as in there are no other options or solutions, hence why I said he doesn't need to buy 8.1. He could buy windows 7, or windows 8, or use linux, or maybe continue to use his windows 7 if the license is right for it etc.

And really, he's trying to make his computer *better* not worse... :P

Please, insulting someone else here in this forum board is not the best way to prove your point.

I personally did not see any highlighted BUY so I am not sure what that comment is all about.

If you feel another member's advice is in poor taste, I believe your point can be made without insulting another member in the process and I also believe joeboarder14 understands that everyone who participates here at BC for the most part are everyday people who volunteer their time and just want to help another person. We are human beings and try our best to say what is right and correct. I believe KillerX525 was trying to help and his choice of words or lack of should not subject him to public insults.

I guess for him to be correct he should have included every copy of Linux and every copy of Windows as well, I don't think all that is needed.

Now, lets replace those insults with helpful advice.

As a staff member here, I can tell you, insults and flaming on another member will not be tolerated.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 05 March 2014 - 04:30 AM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:57 PM

Please, insulting someone else here in this forum board is not the best way to prove your point.

It was not my intention to be insulting. If someone has been insulted then imo it is by way of them being insulted not by way of me trying to insult them. I've just read my post line by line over and over again to try to find what is construed as an insult. The closest I can figure is when I said I was trying to help the guy not just tell him to go buy windows 8.1. (I also made a little joke about windows 8 but nobody should take that personally.) He did just tell him to go buy windows 8.1, so that part can't be an insult since it's just a fact, so the closest thing to an insult would be an insinuation that he wasn't trying to help him. I'm sorry if that comes across as insulting. I think if someone is trying to get their computer working with windows 7, then when someone declares that the only solution to their problem is to buy windows 8, then, in the most un-insulting way possible (and I seriously mean that non-sarcastically) I would say that that is not a helpful reply, because it doesn't help them get their computer going with windows 7, and it misinforms them to think that that's their only path forward.

I personally did not see any highlighted BUY so I am not sure what that comment is all about.

Maybe that is a font issue on your end, possibly you have everything zoomed in to look bigger so it all looks bold (or everything smaller so it all looks unbold)? Here's what it was about:

buybold.png

If you feel another member's advice is in poor taste, I believe your point can be made without insulting another member in the process and I also believe joeboarder14 understands that everyone who participates here at BC for the most part are everyday people who volunteer their time and just want to help another person. We are human beings and try our best to say what is right and correct. I believe KillerX525 was trying to help and his choice of words or lack of should not subject him to public insults.

I didn't really feel that his advice was in poor taste, just fairly unhelpful (not completely so, because sure, he could buy windows 8.1), and misleading - not maliciously so either, as you'll notice in my previous post I didn't blast him for giving terrible advice or anything like that. Personally I thought my post was pretty innocuous and I'm surprised at the fuss over it.

I also don't think I was really insulting to another member, and I think you're able to read more into what I said than I am? I'm surprised at what you are saying because I'm doing double takes here wondering what I said that was so bad? Just looked at it again, maybe you have taken my line "(in response to killerx525)," as some sort of hostile phrase? When in fact I just put that there because initially I was replying directly under his post, but then someone else made a new reply while I was writing, so, without that line it was a bit confusing or someone could think I was replying to the reply instead of to him. Personally I'm guessing this is just a problem with internet text communication. If we were all in a room and some guy said his win7 was broken, and another guy said "Buy windows 8" and then I said "nah you don't need to buy windows 8 yet, why not see about fixing this first", nobody would be insulted, we'd just be tech guys standing around talking.

I don't think I did go nuts raking killer over the coals for his choice of words or anything, I just made a simple reply about it. You talk like I am pouncing on someone for not using words perfectly and I don't think I did.

I guess for him to be correct he should have included every copy of Linux and every copy of Windows as well, I don't think all that is needed.

I think that's a bit silly. All I was saying was that windows 8 isn't *the* (only) solution. I can't say something isn't the only solution if I don't mention some other solutions.

To be honest now I feel insulted because you are making me out to seem like some insulting jerk, when I just felt I was having a normal discussion.

Now, lets replace those insults with helpful advice.

As a staff member here, I can tell you, insults and flaming on another member will not be tolerated.

All (2) of my posts in this thread so far have contained me trying to give some helpful advice. I feel anything I said does not even come in the ballpark of "flaming" someone.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:37 PM

bludshot you are taking this topic way off course and into another totally different subject.

However, the thing that caught my eye was the :P  at the end of your post directed at killerx525. It was the context of your post finished off with that icon. To me, you were being spiteful, not productive.

The correct procedure should have been, I agree with killerx525, however I also want to offer that you could buy windows 7 or a try an open source Linux version, such as Ubuntu...blah..blah.

I would have liked to see you work along with killerx525 and add to his advice, not lock horns with him on what he said. Don't you think you could have used a better choice of wording? I do.

As a regular here, I try my best to work along side everyone here, if I see bad advice from another member, I try to contact them outside of the forum board and see if they are willing to reword or remove it. If I see advice such as what killerx525 posted, I would try to add to his advice in a positive manner and leave the horn locking out of the topic.

If you had done that without quoting him and added a contribution as I did above in the third paragraph, I think you could have helped the flow of this topic to stay on track.

Bruce.

Edited: Added missing word.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 05 March 2014 - 09:17 PM.

#11 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:24 AM

To keep from littering this thread with more screens of off topic stuff, I will primarily respond to you via pm. Here I will just keep it comparatively short and say that I am not the one who took this thread off topic, the way that you took my " :P" comment was not the way it was intended at all, I was not being spiteful with that, I disagreed with killerx525 because I disagree with him, yet I still feel that everyone was adding input and working together towards a solution, and I think the 'locking horns' thing is overstated. Better choice of wording is always possible but its a 2 way street. :flowers:

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:14 AM

Thank you for PMing me blodshot, I have replied.

Now lets work together and help joeboarder14 solve his problem.

I do believe what joeboarder14 did was installed windows 7 on one computer setup and moved the hard drive to a different computer setup without reinstalling windows.

When this is done, windows sees a major hardware change and calls home to Microsoft activation and Microsoft activation can flag the operating system as an illegal copy. In other words, they think joeboarder14 has his copy installed on two different computer systems at the same time.

What also happens, is the initial setup of windows 7 was configured to the original motherboard's chipset and drivers were configured for that computer setup. When the hard drive is relocated into another computer system, things don't just work out as one would expect. If lets say joeboarder14 booted up the hard drive and tried to use windows 7 like usual, that is where things can go wrong. When you install a new copy of an OS such as Windows 7, you remain in setup, while the OS adds drivers and software to your hard drive, during that time a 16 bit screen displays a status as to what is taking place. Once the installation is done, windows 7 configured its self to work properly with that current system. If the hard drive is then transferred to another motherboard, that configuration will no longer work properly and the only way to fix that is to boot from your windows 7 DVD and do a fresh, clean install, which wipes everything off of the drive. Although, you can also have it move your old windows directory to a folder called windows.old

I personally went through this myself when my motherboard died and I transferred my hard drive to another computer tower with a different motherboard. The first thing that happened was windows 7 locked me out completely! I have a retail DVD copy of Windows 7 home premium and my license key was flagged by Microsoft, which stated I had it installed on multiple computer systems. I had to call Microsoft support, via the telephone number that displayed on my computer screen telling me to buy genuine windows. I had to explain to someone at microsoft, that my original computer died. They un-blacklisted my license key and told me I had to re-install windows 7 once the hard drive was in the new system or I would experience drivers crashing issues and other problems.

Needless to say, I had intentions of doing that, however, during boot up, the OS tried to load before I could go into the BIOS setup utility set it up so my computer would boot from the Windows 7 DVD. So you see, even that 3 second boot up caused my copy to be flagged and it might have done just the same even if I had booted to the DVD. That is the way the EULA works with OSes since windows XP, where activation is required. That includes the various editions of windows Vista, windows 7 and Windows 8.0 and 8.1

Now, I realize when we add new hardware, such as a video card, windows loads generic drivers, sometimes those work and sometimes they won't go past 16 bit status, without using a driver installation disk from the video card maker. So you see even changing one device causes issues. Now imagine moving that windows 7 hard drive from an Asus brand motherboard to a Dell brand motherboard, The configuration was initially setup for the Asus motherboard, not the Dell.

I edited this post because I originally wrote it late at night and realized I left some information out. So I added to it.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 06 March 2014 - 04:10 PM.

#13 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:08 AM

A fresh install of the OS on a new system is needed.  Installing the OS will allow it to be configured properly for the new hardware.  Just adding the drive with your old install on and attempting to boot from it will just not work usually, as is the case here.

The main situation where you would have to buy a new OS or license key is if you have an OEM copy of Windows 7.  OEM copies are tied to the machine they are installed on first under the terms of the license.  In practice that means you can change pretty much everything apart from the motherboard...  A retail copy of Windows can legitimately be installed on a newly built PC as long as it's replacing the old machine.

The easiest way to transfer your stuff is before you take apart the old PC is to export your documents and settings (ideally to an external HDD but you can use DVD-R's etc.) using Windows Easy Transfer.  Then it's just a simple case of performing a clean install on the new PC and importing your old documents using the Easy Transfer wizard.

7sbvuf-6.png

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

jonuk76 thanks for the backup, even though you did not quote me, you gave strength to what I said and thanks for providing that Microsoft link. That should help a lot to explain why it can't be done. :thumbup2: 

Bruce.

#15 joeboarder14

joeboarder14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:21 PM

HELLO GUYS!

I sincerely apologize for the delayed response. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOU CONCERN!!!

I did a lot of reading and found out that I had to change the frequency of the motherboard to the hd(set to ide). This booted it up!

I then had to installed the drivers asap since the system was so unstable to the setup. 

I have to say, I am quite disappointing in how slow my computer still is. My old HD (please see above P/Ns for clarification) is full of music and games. It only has 35GB free of nearly 600GB (Western Digital HD). I tried to backup my files on to DVDRWs, but it stopped halfway through. A was of 14 hours, ugh! My plan was to backup the files, re-install windows(btw, there didn't seem to be an issue with OS product keys, and I do have to old disk), and then obviously reload the backups. This again didn't work because it stopped on the 13th disk.

I do have and used Degraggler, and CCleaner several times in attempt to make it run faster. Nothing substantial changed.

^This leads me to another question, I have everything swapped out, but did not install the new Seagate 1TB on account I did not have an SAS cable(I think that is what it is called). My original plan was to keep the old WD HD, slave in the new one. Is this still possible although one is SATA(WD) and the new one is SAS(SG). I want to be sure before I go out and purchase a cable. My theory is(if this is compatible) is to install the new one, back up the files onto it, re-install Windows, and either put some or all of the files back onto the drive. 

I want to stray away from having to purchase a new OS if I really do not need to. From what I was reading SOME PEOPLE said that it would be wiser to stick with Windows 7. AGAIN, I want these files, I have probably just under 350GB of music, and it is a nightmare to transfer on account that both Itunes, and Zune like to make a dozen copies of each some, and Itunes like to reject every song I own under the assumption I must have stolen it if I am copying it.

Please let me know what you guys think.

I really did and still do appreciate the inputs.

Thanks again,

-Joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users