Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Power Eraser problem - possibly infected?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 papapeace

papapeace

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:55 PM

Hello there,

I've experienced some problems with Norton Power Eraser and just wanted to know if anybody does have another idea of what I could try. Hope this is the right subforum for this, but as I'm not quite sure what exactly causes the problem I suppose its accurate to post here.

Here's the scenario: I can run NPE on my pc without problems, a normal scan (including rootkits) works just fine, scanning all partitions except C (the windows one) works fine as well, but whenever I try to scan C I get the error message "Norton Power Eraser has successfully restored internet connection. Hosts file and NPE proxy settings may have been modified."

Now thats not a new issue and it has been dealt with in the Norton support forum in some threads but the soultions offered there didn't work for me. First I tried running NPE in safemode without any changes. Then I turned off my routers firewall as suggested in this thread: https://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/Norton-Power-Eraser-Has-Successfully-Restored-...

I've got a Fritzbox 7170 by AVM so its not precisely possible to "turn off" the firewall. However, a quick google search showed that this is equivalent to labelling the computer as "exposted host" with this router as it will basically open all ports for that pc. So I did that but again NPE was unable to complete a scan on the windows partition (safe mode didn't work as well).

After that I even reinstalled my windows and formated the whole hard drive but agian NPE wasn't able to complete the scan on C, not even in safemode.

I then wanted to make sure that my router isn't the problem here so I took my pc to a friends house where I knew for a fact that NPE ran without any problems on a pc with windows XP. That one didn't have any issues completing a scan of the windows partition either. However for my pc that didn't work (again tried safe mode as well without any changes).

So as it is now I do have a pc which for whatever reason can't complete a scan of the partition thats got windows running while the scan is made. I ran scandisk on my computer as well to make sure its not just a corrupted part of the harddrive and I used a ram-tester to check if that could be a problem (both with negative results).

I've tried these solutions on Win7 Home Premium and I'm using Norton Internet Security Online on that PC. If you need any more informtion don't hesitate to ask, I'll check this thread daily from now on, hoping that anyone of you has got another idea what I could try.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Sincerely,

T.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:18 PM

Are you using Norton Power Eraser for malware disinfection?

Norton Power Eraser is specially designed to detect and eliminate malware threats using aggressive methods.

If not, be aware that not many members here use Norton (Symantec) products. If no one replies with any suggestions, you may want to contact ...
* Norton (Symantec) Live Chat Support
* Norton (Symantec) Phone Support
* Norton (Symantec) Product Support
* Norton Community Users Discussion Forum
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:53 PM

I did some more research in regards to that "Norton Power Eraser has successfully restored internet connection. Hosts file and NPE proxy settings may have been modified" error and noted you already posted a topic here at the Norton Forums. The person who replied seems to have dismissed the issue with NPE and just made a referral to check for malware.

Symantec employees replied with suggestions in these topics...none were malware related.
Odd Norton Power Eraser behaviour
Norton Power Eraser has restored the internet connection
Norton Power Eraser Has Successfully Restored Internet Connection Error
Norton Power Eraser error code: 0x80045008
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 papapeace

papapeace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:41 AM

Thanks for your efforts, quietman.

To be honest I'm not quite sure if malware is the problem. I did run NPE on any other partition and external harddrive I have. A few thinks popped up that NPE wasn't sure about and a few obvious threads. I've deleted them all as far as I can tell but it just makes me nervous about there being more as I can't run that specific scan. I already thought it might not be due to any malware or virus at all but rather something else entirely, but I'm just not sure, thats why I posted in here.

I've checked the other links you posted already prior to opening this post and the one you found in the Norton Forum ;) Unfortunately none of them solve my specific problem :/ Thanks anyway as I said, I'll definetly contact Norton directly in the next few days.

T.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:14 AM

You're welcome and good luck.