Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Shuts off / Crashes During Gaming

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 jrgoncal

jrgoncal

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:06 PM

Simply Put, my PC just shuts off during gaming, or rarely displays the Blue Screen for about 3 seconds before shutting off.

I greatly appreciate any help!

Details

It's been like this for about 2 years since I got it, and used to randomly crash about once or twice a day.

Then I removed 1 ram stick and it went to once or twice a week, now it's about once every 5-10 minutes while gaming.

I switched out a different ram stick and it's back to once or twice a day lol.

Games

They range from simple games such as Dungeon Defenders, League of Legends, Dota, to more complex games like Skyrim, Call of Duty.

Basically any full screen game gives me this problem and very very rarely while using an internet browser.

Computer Specs

- Windows 7 64bit, Intel i3

- ATI Radeon HD 5770 Powercolor

- 650watt Coolermaster PSU

- 6gb DDR3 ram (2+2+1+1)

Attempted Solutions (that failed)

- Replaced 550 Coolermaster PSU with the 650 one

- Replaced my videocard with a frends Radeon HD 5770 xfx - no difference

- Removed 1 stick of ram at a time to find which one was faulty - first 3 no difference, 4th one slowed crashes (but might just be coincidence)

- Cleaned out the dust from the fans - no difference

- Over the years I've formatted a few times and installed the latest drivers - no difference

Tests (that also failed)

- Since I've formatted a few times and removed viruses, it shouldn't be virus related

- I've ran memtest86 over night (12 passes) and all my ram appeared to not have any errors

- I've ran FurMark stress test for about 20 minutes. My PC qiuickly jumped up to 82 degrees and  stayed there. It ran at 100% Cpu/gpu without problems.

Despite all the above, it will still crash within a short perior when running a full screen game.

I'm not super good with computer hardware. Everything I've done above was found through google. At this point I have no idea what it could be.

Could it be the motherboard? Cpu? I'm not sure how to specifically test those.

Anyway, after 2 years of miserable gaming on that machine and random online help not working. I'm hoping you guys could help me out,

and I'd be super greatful. Thanks! :)

Edited by jrgoncal, 04 March 2014 - 12:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:29 PM

Have you tried running prime 95 to test the ram and the cpu? Do you have any over clocks on any hardware? Have you tried resetting the cmos to the default values in the bios?

Can you please run who crashed:

We need to analyze your operating system's crash dump files to further diagnose what could possibly be crashing your computer system.

Please download Who Crashed? and save it to your desktop.

Double click whocrashedSetup.exe and choose Run

On Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 machines, when User Account Control asks if you wish to install this program, say YES to install the program on your computer.

Program can also be installed by right click and choosing Run As An Administrator.

On the next screen choose Next and accept the agreement.

Install the program in it's default location C:\Program Files\WhoCrashed (If your primary drive is different from C:, choose your primary drive.)

Choose Next and allow program to create a Start Menu Folder called WhoCrashed and click Next.

Allow program to create desktop icon and click Next.

Now Click Install.

Once the program is installed on your computer system, look for the WhoCrashed icon.png desktop Icon and double click it.

Accept the User Account Control request and the program will open on your screen and should look something like this.

whocrashed.png

Next, Click the Analyze button. analyze.png

An Information Window should appear on your screen prompting you to scroll down your screen.

If a report was generated we would like to have a look at this report.

To do this, click File analyze.png and then choose Export.

Save as WhoCrashedOutput.htm to your desktop.

Open WhoCrashedOutput.htm and copy and paste all of the contents from System Information (local) and Crash Dump Analysis and the Conclusion into your next reply.

Edited by zingo156, 04 March 2014 - 12:29 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

Also please run speccy:

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.

• Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

• You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

• After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

• Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:32 PM

Hi. Let`t see the temperatures of CPU,Motherboard,Videocard,Harddisk using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

Download Minitoolbox - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/

Start the application.Set tick everywhere and click GO button.After scan is done a log will appear.Save and attach it here.

Edited by Alex&Vanko, 04 March 2014 - 12:34 PM.

#5 jrgoncal

jrgoncal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:59 PM

Wow, thanks for the fast replies!

Have you tried running prime 95 to test the ram and the cpu?

No, I only ran memtest86, I will run prime 95 now.

Do you have any over clocks on any hardware?

No, I don't even know how to use over clocks :)

Have you tried resetting the cmos to the default values in the bios?

Yes, I just tried that earlier, but everything was already default

WhoCrashed (Result was really long, so I put it here)
http://pastebin.com/faWqTFTe

Speccy
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/TL7BQl6JO1dwckAj53StXr0

MiniToolbox (I couldn't find where to attach the file, so I put it here)
http://pastebin.com/GCbXTpR1

Thanks again!

#6 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:36 PM

Uninstall this - NVIDIA PhysX (Version: 9.12.1031).You have ATI Videocard.
Also those:
NetBalancer
K-Lite Codec Pack 6.4.5 (64-bit) (Version: 6.4.5)
K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 8.9.5 (Version: 8.9.5)
Install the latest version from here - http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite_mega_codec_pack.htm
I think the problem is in AMD/ATI drivers.

#7 jrgoncal

jrgoncal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:01 PM

Okay Alex&Vanko, I will make those changes.

I have formatted a few times in the last few years so I don't know if my problem is software, but I will try anyway :)

I will edit this post soon to say if it worked or not.

Also Prime 95 did many tests, up to 10k all passed.

Edited by jrgoncal, 04 March 2014 - 02:03 PM.

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

Your most common crash in that list was this: Bugcheck code: 0x7A (0x20, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009D

Read about it here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff559211%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Here are the details for C000009D,  STATUS_DEVICE_NOT_CONNECTED, indicates defective or loose cabling, termination, or that the controller does not see the hard disk.

Windows errors are general at best, but because that was the most common BSOD error, I might recommend checking all of your sata cables and connections to the main board, or maybe replacing them, they are cheap and may solve the issue. Speccy indicated that your smart data from the hard drive did not contain any problems but smart data is not always accurate. I usually run MHDD which is tricky to use, I will post instructions on how to use mhdd below this post, they are quite long.

It is possible you have a mainboard problem or cpu problem. You could try a version of linux, something like mint: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

You can actually install steam in linux and play certain games. If you have no problems there, it may be an issue with drivers you are using in windows. Also after a format do you install your anti-virus right away? I might recommend trying it without an AV.

Edited by zingo156, 04 March 2014 - 02:15 PM.

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:04 PM

Download this and burn it directly to a disc, no need to unzip: http://hddguru.com/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/

Here are instructions to help you run MHDD:

Before running this test it would be a good idea to backup any data that you cannot afford to lose. This test uses the hard drive at 100%. If the drive is failing or has problems it is possible for the drive to fail suddenly especially during heavy use as this test will do. It is unlikely but still I recommend backing files up to be safe.

Here are the instructions to run the test:

The first step will be to burn MHDD to a disc as an image (cd preferably) or create a bootable flash drive from the iso.

After burning the disc/flash drive, restart the laptop and start tapping f2 right away to get into the bios. There you should see System Configuration, expand that by clicking the + button. In that list there should be something called Sata operation. (Sata Operation may also be by itself in that first screen list)

Click on sata operation and take note of the current setting to the right it will probably be set to AHCI it will need to be switched back to this after MHDD is done running. Select ATA, ide, or compatibility mode and then click apply. Save and exit the bios, or if apply was the only option you can use Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart.

Now with the burned disc/flash drive in the computer, after a restart, start tapping F12 on the keyboard. This will bring up the boot options menu. Select cd/dvd/cd-rw drive or bootable flash (if you went this way) and hit enter.

If this worked correctly and booted to mhdd you should see a screen that says Microsoft windows 98 startup menu. You can let the timer run out or just hit enter on option (2 . Start computer without SCSI support) in that menu .

Now you should see a screen with numbers, most of these will not have any device listed behind them but one number should for example on my dell computer number 6 has WDC WD1600BEVT-75A23T0… and at the end a number in white which is the size of the drive 312,581,808.

If this is the correct drive, on the keyboard type the number in front of the drive (in my case it was 6) and then hit enter.

Now you should have a screen with MHDD> and a blinking cursor.

Now hit F4 on the keyboard 2 times and this will start scanning the hard drive. (if you want to enable turning off bad blocks let me know for now just scan)

You should be able to see the computer start scanning, each block represents one sector on the hard drive. What we are looking for will show up on the right side of the screen.

There is a list on the right which shows numbers:

<3

<10

<50

<150ms

Etc…

Anything below the <150ms is a slow sector or a problem sector. Slow sectors <500 or >500 will slow down the computer. If there are a lot of these the drive should be replaced. Even new drives have around 3-4 slow sectors so if it has no more than 10 I would say the drive is ok.

Also if you have any at the end that were marked as UNC this means the drive has uncorrectable errors and the hard drive should probably be replaced.

If all of the sectors were ok and fell within the range of:

<3

<10

<50

<150ms

Then the hard drive is ok, if there are only a few (no more than 10 sectors that are slow <500 or >500) the hard drive should be ok to use.

NOTE: that if there are many slow sectors one after another or you start having error after error the drive is in bad shape and I recommend ending the test. To end the test hit the Esc key.

After you are done testing you will need to go back into the bios by restarting the computer and tapping f2. Go back to Sata Operation and change it back to the default which probably was AHCI.

Then restart and the computer should boot again.

(If you are getting a blue screen and the computer restarts go back into the bios and confirm that Sata Operation is set to what it was before changing it to ATA).

#10 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:06 PM

I am sure your hardware is ok by itself.

Edited by Alex&Vanko, 04 March 2014 - 02:11 PM.

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:12 PM

If prime 95 passed which it sounds like did, I would also assume the cpu is ok.

#12 jrgoncal

jrgoncal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:34 PM

I made the changes Alex&Vanko requested, and if they don't work, I will also look into sata cables and HDD tests Zingo mentioned.

I'll post the results after I get everything tested out soon.

For now, thank you both for your time. :)

#13 BInarybaited

BInarybaited

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:17 AM

first of all your cpu temperature is fairly high ,80 degrees should be max. this might indicate your voltage levels might just need fine tuning check specs on mainboard safe operating levels.
if you are running in turbo or high performance gaming modes try using a normal setting.
if your cpu is overclocked try running a lower setting.these are common fixes that usually work.
also I have come across a lot of people with same related problems while gaming .please visit my thread on games that crash fixes if nothing else works..

thanx.Kel

Edited by BInarybaited, 09 March 2014 - 07:19 AM.

#14 shubham312

shubham312

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:27 AM

ok so when I play games my pc automatically shuts off it also doesn't show that shutting down directly closes and when I try to press the cpu button it doesn't starts for some time. So I have installed whocrashed software and here is the link for the report: C:\Users\Shilpa\Documents\WhoCrashedOutput.htm So check for the error and do reply me.

Regards,

Shubham

#15 shubham312

shubham312

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:35 AM

Also here is my speccy report link: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/s3Wck46awisD4e32ialkYvo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users