Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrator user profile corrupt?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

My wife is unable to log into her account on her laptop (Windows 7).

When she tries she gets " The User Profile Service failed tthe logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

There are three accounts on this laptop, hers (administrator), mine (normal user) and sons (normal user).

I can log into her account in safe mode and even managed to change her password (create one for her, she didn't have one before).

I've tried managing other accounts using her account while in safe mode, upon clicking the link it just blinks and does nothing.

I think I need to be logged in as administrator to fix this, but can't get logged in.  Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:56 AM

Hello, Open a command prompt as administrator. Start > type cmd in the search box > right click, run as administrator

Type:

net user administrator /active:yes

Reboot the computer. You will have access to the super user account of Windows 7. After you are finished fixing any accounts, disable the account using this command.

net user administrator /active:no

#3 Bill253

Bill253
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

Thanks for responding John.

OK, tried that.  The command prompt came up.  When I right clicked > run as administrator the User Account Control box came up asking for my wife's (administrator) password.

I entered the password and clicked on Yes I got "Windows cannot find 'C\:Windows\System32\cmd.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

When I went into Window Explorer and looked at Windows\System32 I found the cmd application.  Tried right clicking it and got the same error.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,276 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

Can you do it in Safe Mode with command prompt?

Edit: Do the command prompt as administrator in one of the normal accounts. The UAC will ask for the password. Then run the net user command.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 March 2014 - 01:17 PM.

#5 Bill253

Bill253
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:46 PM

Not sure I followed your instructions exactly - I booted up in safe mode with command prompt, then logged in as my wife (administrator) and got an administrator command prompt. I ran the net user command to which I got a 'completed successfully' (or similar) reply. 

I then rebooted into safe mode with command prompt. At the login screen I now have an Administrator account showing - I take this as a good sign.  I'm now back at an administrator command prompt window. Will reboot again in normal mode and see what happens...

Thanks.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,276 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:54 PM

Thanks for the update. Sorry, I wasn't clear. If safe mode didn't work I thought you could try logging into one of the other accounts in normal mode using the command prompt as administrator.

#7 Bill253

Bill253
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

I'm now able to start winows normally and log into the administrator account.  Thanks again.

Now to try to create a new profile for my wife and/or fix her old one...

Got distracted with trying to uninstall old games that my son used to play on this laptop, including Steam...

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,276 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:04 PM

Not on Windows 7. You can get an administrator account on XP in safe mode but not on Windows 7 unless it is enabled. I just booted into safe mode on my Windows 7 laptop and there was no administrator account, only the normal accounts I created.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users