Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Install - BSOD - 0x0000007E

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lameskeptik

lameskeptik

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

I've been having a problem re-installing Windows 7 onto a computer.
The computer hadn't been working correctly for a while but I discovered it was a Memory problem and removed the dead RAM stick. I've formatted the drive already and tried installing Windows 7 about 8 or so times now all failing. 

I get passed the "Expanding Windows Files" and installing part, but when the computer restarts and it says "Completing Installation", it hangs for a minute and then BSOD.

I'm installing a legitimate version via USB.

I've tried so far:
Remaking the USB install, using both the Microsoft USB tool and PowerISO's usb boot disk maker.
Doing the same after re-downloading the ISO.
I'm run memtest86 on both memory sticks currently in use, in all 4 slots, and both passed in each one. I am now using just one of the 2 sticks in the primary slot.
I've updated the MB's BIOS, though the most recent one only fixed a couple of minor things.
I tried unplugging everything and holding the power button for 30+ seconds as was suggested somewhere else, also tried leaving the computer unplugged for 30 minutes and doing the same thing.
I also tried manually setting the memory speeds to what it reads on the sticker on the stick I'm not currently using.

The computer was working fine before I tried reinstalling Windows. It was just so cluttered I thought a fresh install would do it some good.
I almost wish I hadn't.

But I'm hoping this is a learning experience.

Thanks in advance for any help, 
JP

ALSO
Here is a (not so great) picture of the BSOD.
http://imgur.com/6nC9SXC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:08 PM

This error usually occurs when a usb device fails to communicate. What type of usb port are you using for the usb bootable? Is it a 3.0 usb port? If so try it in a 2.0 port if you have one. Disconnect all devices that are not needed that are usb (if you have any wireless usb adapters, webcams etc remove them). If it continues to fail I would recommend using a different windows install iso or a different disc to install windows, it may just be a problem with the windows version you have on your usb device.

I found a thread here where they had the same problem on install, turns out their disc was the cause: www.techspot.com/community/topics/0x0000007e-while-trying-to-install-windows-7-on-new-build.173831/

Edited by zingo156, 04 March 2014 - 12:11 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 lameskeptik

lameskeptik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:54 PM

I was installing it on a front port USB2.0.

I tried it again on one of the USB2.0s in the back and in the one and only USB3.0 in the back as well.

Still BSOD after the first restart.

Thanks for the advice.

I have also tried a bootleg version of windows I got from my roommate and it  is doing the same thing.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:01 PM

Do you have any over clocks? If so remove those, or reset the cmos to defaults.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 lameskeptik

lameskeptik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:20 PM

All BIOS settings tried at default and again manually setting the RAM timings.

I've seen the same suggestions on other forums but they're all from 7 months to a year ago. I was hoping that there was some new information out there.

Unless you have some more suggestions, I'm going to assume its a motherboard/cpu error that happened in the five minutes from it working to me formatting the HD in the Win 7 setup window.

Thanks again.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:34 PM

I am not sure if you have tried this: Remove all but 1 stick of ram and try installing windows that way. I had a computer that would never complete an install, pulling out all but 1 stick worked. I do not know why or how, but it did. (I never got to run Prime95 on it because it was a rushed computer for a client, my guess would be it had cpu problems, memtest86 passed.) It is possible the cpu or board has a problem that affects loading windows but not an already running windows. The only other thing I might suggest is setting your bios sata operation to IDE, ATA or compatibility and then trying to reload. Sometimes windows does not have the correct AHCI/RAID driver so when that is installed and the computer is restarted it crashes on the next boot. Of course I would also recommend trying an actual purchased copy of windows on disc. If you have the option to borrow someones genuine disc you could try it.

Edited by zingo156, 05 March 2014 - 08:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users