Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98SE Computer Automatically Reboots On Startup.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 homepcsi

homepcsi

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:39 AM

Hey guys,

We have a Gateway 450 running Windows 98SE that will automatically reboot upon startup. We turn the computer on, it POSTS, and then starts to load Windows but right the Windows 98 splash screen would normally give way to your desktop or user login, it reboots.

We can boot into Safe Mode without any problems at all, but that's about it. I am currently using Hiren's Boot CD to scan the computer for malware and other nasties using MalwareBytes and as of this moment there are 7 found infections, but I'm afraid I don't know much more to do with a system so old.

How can I go about troubleshooting this startup problem? I have tried reading articles on Microsoft's website (namely, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188867) but it didn't change the fact that it still reboots on startup.

I have ran memtest86 just to check for memory errors and that came up clean. I'm stumped.

Any suggestions, guys? I am afraid I don't have the troubleshooting knowledge of anything prior to Windows XP. :)

Edited by homepcsi, 04 March 2014 - 09:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 homepcsi

homepcsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:12 AM

Ended up creating a clone of his hard drive and trying to install Windows 98SE over the existing installation, but it didn't have any effect. So I copied all of his personal data over to a flash drive, reinstalled Windows 98SE on a clean install to our cloned hard drive, set everything up as it was, copied data back over and then cloned our drive back over to his original. It took care of the problem, but that sure was a long, drawn out, tedious way to go about it.

I had tried scanreg /fix also, and it found an error but it could not repair it. I suppose it was inevitable. The customer had the original installation of Windows 98SE from 1997, so I suppose if he was still actively using it, it might of been a good thing that he had a fresh install done with a few pieces of updated hardware, updated drivers, Windows Updates, KernelEX to allow for things like Mozilla Firefox + AdBlock, etc.

oldapps.com was definitely my friend in finding some of his old programs he was using. Oh well, it's finished now and the customer seemed happy. Just thought I'd post an update.

#3 The Fixedr

The Fixedr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:17 AM

What about using msconfig, going to the startup tab and disabling the startups one by one? If that fails, go to the services tab, tick the "hide all microsoft services" box, then disable the remaining services one by one? Tedious yes, but often very effective at finding the culprit, and in more than 95/98.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users