Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help needed with new SATA III add-on card

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bardos

bardos

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:11 AM

I have just installed a sata III pci-e card on my Gigabyte p35ds3l motherboard, which only supports SATAII. I had been running an Intel SSD as my C:\ system drive with Windows 7. I booted into windows and installed the drivers for this card: Asmedia 1061.

Now when I plug in a normal sata drive to the card it shows up in windows, no problem. However it refuses to boot from the SSD drive, which is my "C" drive, when plugged in to the sataIII card. In fact, when plugged in to the sata3 card, it is not recognised on the start-up screens or in the VBIOS. I went into the bios and changed boot order to add on cards, but this did not change the situation. Can anyone offer advice? Using AHCI.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:20 PM

You're not going to want to hear this.  You have two options, suffer with the SSD on the motherboard or reinstall Windows.

If you want to move the SSD to the new card Windows needs the drivers in place to boot from it, this is done when you install Windows.

I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:24 PM

By "VBIOS" do you mean the controller cards own BIOS?

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 bardos

bardos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

By "VBIOS" do you mean the controller cards own BIOS?

My error, I mean "BIOS"

#5 bardos

bardos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:48 PM

What about another ssd which would not function as a boot drive, but as a "D:\ drive? Would it be recognised?

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:49 PM

Does it have a BIOS with any configuration options?  Some cards do.

So lets say you have another drive connected to the add on card, does the controller show the name/model of drive when it first starts up?  But it doesn't do this (like the card is not detecting the drive) with the drive you want to use as the "c:" drive?  Is that correct?

Edited by jonuk76, 04 March 2014 - 02:50 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users