Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to clone my hard disk.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:39 AM

Hello guys, 

I had an old laptop a compaq presario 1680 that suddenly went out on me, its motherboard got fried.  So what I want to do now is to take that hard drive and put it in a working computer.  Easier said than done, because the hard drive of that compaq is physically bigger than the standard 2.5" hard drive of my working computer.  So I cant fit that old hard drive into the working computer.  

So what I want to do now is to clone the compaq  hard drive to the hard drive in my working computer.  Soquestion is, is it possible to clone an external hard drive (the compaq hd)  to an internal hard drive (in my working computer) and if so what program and what are the steps

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:49 AM

The drivers and services on your disk will not work correctly on a different computer, what you need to do is copy the data you want to keep off the disk.

If you purchase a USB HDD docking station it will be as simple as plugging it in and copying what you want over on to you working machine. They can be had these days for $10-$20 online.

#3 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:54 AM

I have already made a copy of everything on the old hard drive (its a toshiba hard drive).  So Ive copied all the folders.  But according to what I know, programs and applications do not transfer, and I think the only way to make a complete copy of your old hard drive is to clone it to a new one, so that programs, applications, operating system, data are all retained and the new drive also becomes bootable.  So thats why Im exploring the idea of cloning, cause I want to transfer everything and not just the data.  

Problem is my old hard drive does not fit into any of the laptops even though it is a 2.5" because it is physically bigger(thicker than the hard drives of today).  The new hard drive is 2.5", 80GB and will fit into a laptop.  So, if I have the new hard drive in the laptop and the old hard drive connected to th laptop by USB, then can I clone the external old hard drive to the internal new hard drive? 

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:41 PM

No, the system drivers will not work in the new machine. You cannot do that and make the new machine run.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:22 AM

its motherboard got fried.

As already explained, the host computer needs to be working in good condition in order to use the cloning method and on top of that, the source drive should be mechanical and error free. Unless you're willing to replace the whole motherboard of the same type.

Tekken

#6 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:56 AM

You can do offlne clones, its all sector based and literally clones everything so if you have a 1 terabyte drive and the clone size is 100 gig, your 1 terabyte drive will show as only being 100 gig so you need to be very carefull.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users