Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Artifacting desktop and lagging OS

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 opaqueMutiny

opaqueMutiny

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:14 AM

While using my web browser(firefox) the entire OS locked up for about 10 seconds(except for the mouse, I could still move it, but it wouldn't highlight or allow me to click anything). I also have a USB device that streams data with the OS and it lost connection during this time, even though my mouse which is USB did not.

I started getting artifacting, if I close/ minimize one window it would leave parts of it on another.(Seemed like a bad GPU/GPU Driver). The next trick was when I got to the desktop, the wallpaper had become a garlbled mess of what the last web page I was on. The taskbar was drawing perfect though, desktop icons where questionable, can't remember for sure, but I beleive most where visable. I kept getting intermitent OS lock ups(over about 5 minutes), Tried using Chrome, couldn't type in a full search query. Ran firefox again, and Downloaded the latest MS Malicious removal tool. Tried running it, it kept hanging up(gave it only a few miniutes). Finally decided to shutdown and disconnect a few storage HDDs, IDE and SATA(easiest suspects to eliminate). System rebooted fine, download Crystal disk, checked SMART date, all good. Checked PSU voltages, all good. CPU and GPU Temps, all good.

System seems to be running fine now. Ran a quick scan with MS MRT, came up clean(Running a full test now, should come up clean as I'm quite strict). I use Avira for AntiVirus and have Java, Flash, Browsers, etc up to date, as they always are.

So my question is, what caused this lagging/locking up/artifacting. It seemed like it was something more major than a storage HDD that was just sitting idle having a issue, but that is the only thing I changed, the system wasn't under any particulare heavy load before or during the issue. I've never seen a wonky HDD with these symptoms before.

Edited by hamluis, 04 March 2014 - 10:12 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:43 AM

Any piece of hardware can cause problems. Hard drives, especially bad hard drives will cause these exact issues. While recovering data from bad hard drives for clients, most of the time I have to use a different computer to do any work. Even music playing in the background will stutter, the cursor will jump around on occasion or become unresponsive etc. There are some good hard drive tests out there for free you boot from a disc, the one I use most of the time is MHDD: http://hddguru.com/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/

It is a bit tricky to learn how to use and you must run the test with the bios sata operation set to ATA, IDE or Compatibility. (not AHCI or Raid). So if you have any sata drives you would have to disable AHCI and then run the test. (remember to set it back to whatever it was when booting to windows or you may get a bsod).

The good thing about MHDD is that it reports the speed of blocks as well as locates the bad ones, it has the option to erase delays or bad blocks, ONLY DO THIS IF YOU HAVE BACKED UP DATA FIRST. Anyway if you have multiple drives it may be worth testing them as it is possible just 1 of the drives is causing all of the issues.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users