Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsofts latest abomination Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 gsx1100fm7

gsx1100fm7

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:19 PM

Hi Guys,

Newbie been in the Windows loop for 15 yrs. Just as frustrated today as ever. But two problems that have been thoughtfully included by MS engineers with every new OS is the "failed updates" and the error message when trying to sync PC time with Internet time. I am reasonably computer savvy and I know all about the two pages of gobbledy gook work arounds for MS problems. My question is this. Who thinks, with all the bally hoo and conch shell blowing that goes with every launch of the next OS from MS that simple tasks like the two I mention, should really have been sorted by now?    

Edited by hamluis, 04 March 2014 - 02:32 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Gen Chat - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:41 AM

You are assuming that they aren't breaking this stuff on purpose... just so they can flog off extraordinarily expensive training courses to fix these things, which require that you only use MS products to fix all your MS problems. There's a whole ecosystem in play here, not just our desktops.

#3 gsx1100fm7

gsx1100fm7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:12 AM

No of course they are not breaking stuff on purpose. And I dont want this threadb to be misunderstood. My point is this: The IT help desks ariund the world are clogged 24/7 with exactly the same requests for help as they were 10 yrs ago. Each new OS brings with it the same old errors and faults as the one before. Given that a genuine copy of (say) win 7 still retails for over $ 300 per license and that 150 million copies have been sold one would think that some of that money would have been used to solve the generic problems that have been with us since win 95.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:51 AM

Well, it seems pretty funny that I can pull a Linux hard drive out of any machine and put it in almost any other machine, turn it on, and it works. Whilst at the same time I can take a Windows hard drive and put it in an identical machine, same make model and components, turn it on and it often doesn't work.

How could a company that makes billions every year have a core product that fails so easily, so often, in the same ways?

I understand why you are left holding these unanswered questions, I agree with you.

#5 gsx1100fm7

gsx1100fm7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:43 AM

I dont know anything about Linux, but I am glad you see my point.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,686 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:28 PM

You are assuming that they aren't breaking this stuff on purpose.

I agree.

Well, it seems pretty funny that I can pull a Linux hard drive out of any machine and put it in almost any other machine, turn it on, and it works

I have Linux( Puppy) that's installed to USB. and it boots any system ( after bios reset). CD or DVD is to big to carry around so is my laptop, I have set up a USB stick with puppy Linux on it with settings bookmarks etc when I travel I just take the USB with me. ( the stick is encrypted for security)  I heard you can do it with windows too.

So I wonder are they breaking it on purpose as TsVk says.

Edited by NickAu1, 04 March 2014 - 09:40 PM.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:52 PM

For example, one of my machines with Mint on it had a mobo die recently, I just got another machine and stuck the HDD in it.... worked perfectly. Not a single driver update or anything.

This is an installed environment... not just a live CD. You don't even have to pay for this sort of high functioning software.

It raises some serious questions about the competency of Microsoft, or their agendas as a whole.

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:39 PM

Microsoft is a company that has to answer to stock holders and make money. They have to adhere to release dates and other constraints. They are in a market where they can do practically whatever they want as long as the product continues to sell because they have implanted themselves in that market for so long, people rely on windows for almost everything now a days. Microsoft does as little as possible to the operating system so they can maximize profits, while linux has a great community of devs which, while they still have release deadlines to deal with, can still maintain and produce a good quality product because they are not looking to reduce time spent on coding things that are important to users like me who expect linux to work on anything. Now having said that, obviously there are other factors that contribute to the fact that windows still needs to download and install drivers for hardware etc, most of that is because of the manufacturers. Most drivers and such for linux are third party and open source written by the community. So yes, Microsoft has the power to produce something better.. now do they want to? Not really, for the average user it works and has worked, bugs still exist but since they have been around so long they just don't care anymore.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,686 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:30 PM

or their agendas as a whole

Profit and lots of it.

Microsoft would never want a Windows7 Live disk that could run with a save file like puppy can. Piracy

As for HDD swapping from 1 machine to another, Same problem as above, Each time you swap machines the machine fingerprint would change by allowing that to happen Pirates could install a copy of windows to 1 machine then use clonezilla to clone the hdd and use on any machine. Wouldnt that make windows free?

#10 gsx1100fm7

gsx1100fm7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:11 AM

Inthink I need to go and research this whole linux business.

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,686 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:24 AM

Yes you do.

Here's a tip.  You do not have to install any linux to your pc to try it ( some you never have to install) just download the .ISO burn it to dvd as an iso set your pc to boot from dvd drive wait for it to load( in most cases it will still load faster than Windows takes to boot lol) and enjoy. If you have a hardwired internet connection it will auto connect. You could try Zorin then Unbuntu and Mint, After that try a puppy, Puppies are great for old machines.

VIDEO NOT MY WORK  everything you see in the video is pre installed and still only a 160 meg download.

http://youtu.be/qkDYveZZkp8

Edited by NickAu1, 05 March 2014 - 12:42 AM.

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:30 AM

Mint is particularly friendly to ex_windows users. My wife and kids hardly made a noise swapping to it.

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,686 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:04 AM

@ TsVk

Have you tried  Australis Mate, Its a bonzer os, struth would I tell you porkies.

Quote from site

Australis Mate 1.6 L.T.S​​​
Is developed here in AustraLia by meyself (jay Conway) and co developer Jesse Avalos.Australis Lts mate edition is built from the L.T.S core of Ubuntu 12.04. We hope to provide an out of the box experience for the new linux users and current with added stability of the Long term support mode.Also keeping a modern slick clean look.

Note **** login name is ( linux ) NO password needed (just press enter)

If installed you could set your own User name and password.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/australismate/

Edited by NickAu1, 05 March 2014 - 03:08 AM.

#14 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:18 AM

And another great way to try Linux is in a virtual machine. I am running Mint 16 in  VMplayer Player (free). No problems at all. In fact, the only bug-a-boo I ran into was installing VMplayer Tools. And another virtual machine out there is Virtual Box. It gives you a chance to try Linux with no changes at all to you system. Also you find out if it is compatible with you set-up.

My new morning paper has become DistroWatch, and as they say in the Linux world, just ignore the rankings.

http://distrowatch.com/

http://vmware-player.en.softonic.com/

https://www.virtualbox.org/

#15 mixpix

mixpix

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:45 PM

What is the advantage of Linux? I get the bit about windows. I kept with XP for as long as possible but having Apple in our household tech fold, forced my hand to upgrade to Win 7, due to its ability to run iCloud. I have no plan to go for Win 8.

I would think that Linux would be susceptible to viruses? If not, I would be interested in learning why?

And finally, having an older Dell, with the upgrade from xp to win 7, is it possible to partition & run Linux? Will it run iCloud? Is it a similar family of OS to Apple?

Thanks.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1709
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo i5-4210U CPU  T5750 @ 1.70gHz 2.40 GHz
Ram: 8.00 GB
system type: 64bit x-64-based processor
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VNZNmcrsHQpEHgN51iurDWj

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users