Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Recovering Encrypted Data from HDD from Busted Laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ShrekH

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:14 PM

(Before I get started, know that I DO have the passwords for the encrypted data, I just can't figure out how to get at it.)

I'm trying to recover data from a Toshiba 250GB HDD that came from an "IBUYPOWER" model "HL90" laptop. The screen is broke to the point that you can only view what is on the left and right half inches on the screen and I cannot get either of the HDMI/VGA video out ports to work. It is for a friend so I do not know what version of Windows Vista he has.

I tried booting from the hard drive on another computer but I'm assuming it's an OEM version of windows since it never logs on but keeps on restarting. I tried accessing the HDD from windows 8.1 but it says the drive cannot be accessed due to incorrect parameters. I then booted up my computer using Ubuntu and was able to access all of his unencrypted data. My friend said that on his desktop there was a shortcut to a "Personal Safe" which is what encrypted his data. From my online searches I have found out it is a common program on Sager laptops which is part of a "Protector Suite SQL". Through linux I entered the desktop folder but discovered no such program/shortcut (although I could find the Protector Suite folder.) Does anyone know of a way for me to access the data or is it a best bet just to try to replace the screen?

Thank you in advance for any help in the subject. I also apologize in advance if I was verbose or too vague.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:45 PM

Could you use the half inch to see enough to get the data? I know that's fairly silly but just saying

#3 JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,137 posts
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:56 PM

Protector Suite QL 5.6 from what I have read uses fingerprint technology. Does this laptop have a fingerprint reader? If it does, not sure how you will decrypt the data.

Edit: Not sure if it only uses fingerprint technology but it can be downloaded from Sony's site. Maybe pull the drive and attach it to a XP computer that has the software installed.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 March 2014 - 10:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users