Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows 8 Admin Loss and Corrupt Directories

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 willymd747

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:11 PM

Hello All,
   I have a wireless keyboard which was left upside down (with some keys pressed) as I typed on my Lenovo Ideapad U510's actual keyboard. As I was typing I noticed some very strange issues with regards to the responsiveness of my key-presses, and I think the SHIFT and/or ALT keys were pressed. Anyway, now nearly all of my files will not open, displaying messages of corruption or those that say I need to contact the system admin (which I think I am, and Know that I *was*) and Chrome will only start 10% of the time. Starting Opera yields this: the directory cannot be open privileges are lacking contact the administrator. Trying to save a document *anywhere* returns a message that said area is corrupt. I have no idea what the issue is and restarting has not helped. 
   I believe I am no longer Admin anymore and am suffering from this and these corruption-issues, all of which started immediately after I accidentally entered some random key-combinations with the displaced keyboard. Please help me, my whole laptop has ground to a halt and is now useless. It was so easy to make this mistake, I just need to know how to fix it!
Thank you all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,067 posts
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:58 PM

I think you have reached the stage where all you can do is go through the 'Recovery' process and restore your laptop to an 'ex-factory' condition. There is a downside to doing this, it will wipe all your data. If you have a recent back-up then this is not a problem and I would just go ahead and do it.

If you don't have a recent back-up, then I would suggest you save what you can through Windows Explorer to a thumb drive or an external hard drive - depending on how much data you are trying to save - and worry about trying to sort out corruption in the data later.

There is a feature in Win 8 called 'Re-set' or something like that which will re-build Windows without affecting the data. I don't have a computer with Win 8 to hand so I can't check, but I would expect you to find it in 'Control panel - Recovery or Administrative tools'. Check with 'Help' - if you can - as to exactly what it does before you start it running. If you do decide to do a full recovery, I believe on your Lenovo you start it off with a button on the rear edge of the laptop. If you are looking at the rear edge, it is at the left hand end. Your manual should tell you how to do a recovery operation. Of course, since it is probably on your hard drive and also probably corrupted, you may need to get the use of another computer to download the manual. You will find the manual on the support pages of Lenovo's web-site.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:05 PM

It sounds to me like something else has caused your issues, and this upside down keyboard did not do anything. Your errors could be caused from hard drive issues that may indicate a failing drive.

#4 MakeItBetter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:04 PM

"Refresh" -- re-installs Windows (removes all your applications, but leaves the pre-installed Windows apps)

"Reset" -- reformats your drive and re-installs Windows

there is also a "repair option", but i believe what's included in the repair option is mfr-specific.

Thanks a Million!

Edited by MakeItBetter, 12 March 2014 - 09:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users