Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to pin calculator to classic shell taskbar

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gmpowell

gmpowell

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:09 PM

I just got windows 8 with a new laptop thinking how bad can it really be?  Well, I have an I phone and I did not want a monster version of the same.  Win 8 is a junky mess suitable for teenagers and not for grownups.

However, after installing classic shell, it is a little better, but I need to have a small calculator pop up while I work.  I cannot get this to happen .  I read there is a $4.95/mo program that will fix this, but I am not going to pay ongoing fees to fix this awful software.

Has anyone any idea how to pin a calculator to the classic shell taskbar that will stay small and not take over the whole page?

Geraldine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:25 PM

I haven't that much experience with Windows 8 but navigate to the following

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Accessories

There should be a calculator app. Run that. Does it show up on the classic shell taskbar. If it does, right click it and select pin to taskbar.

#3 gmpowell

gmpowell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:25 PM

That is the first thing I tried but it does not work.  Any click turns it into monster full page app.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:32 PM

Can you grab the calculator app from a Windows 7 computer? I saw the full screen app of the calculator on Windows 8, terrible.

Edit: I did find this but not sure if it will help.

http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=faq-Windows-8&faq=45

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 March 2014 - 09:34 PM.

#5 gmpowell

gmpowell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:52 PM

JohnC_21,

You brilliant person!!!!!!!!

The link you gave me works.  It is so simple:

windows logo on laptop +r

Enter "calc"into box, and Eureka! There is the little calculator and you can pin it to the classic shell taskbar.

Thank you , thank you, thank you.

Problem solved in  under six hours

Geraldine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users