Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not sure whats happening... maybe a virus?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 BoltsFan760

BoltsFan760

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:10 PM

Here is how it starts. Yesterday all day my Dell inspiron 660 was working fine. We moved it into a new case with a new power supply. We get a black screen start up error saying SYSTEM FAN FAILURE press f1 to continue f2 for boot options. I press F1 b/c all the fans a working. Desktop boots to normal windows 8.1 homescreen/desktop. I go to the desktop screen and I have a message stating windows hasn't updated in  over 30 days. I says the updates have not been updated in 365k days. I click update now. It says update failed. I figure it might be stopped by me ESET security suite. I try to open ESET and it doesnt work. I uninstalled and reinstalled it. Still wont open. When I try to go to google, It says the security certificate for google is not valid and won't let me proceed. It shows both ESET and windows defender as being off. I turned on ESET but it wont open. Also when I Right click on the desktop background I get a message saying

Microsoft Viual C++ runtime Library

RunTime error!

Program: C:\Windows\explorer.exe

This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an

unusual way.

Please contact the application's support team for more information

When I close the box My screen flashes purple for a second or two and goes back to normal.

I tried doing a system restore from 02/28/14 I noticed a box that said the restore point was over 30 days old...

I noticed my calendar was set past 12/2099 and the system date is 03/14/3099

On the MY DELL support page it says my waranty has expired on 05/21/15 and my next scheduled check up is in 2029

The Dell support guy said I have a virus. "usually from a torrent website" I dont even know what that means. I dont DL any movies that arent from Ultraviolet(my digital downloads from the BRD case) I have not gone to a "naughty" website. He said I can pay $240.00 and they'll fix it for me. I asked if a factory reset will solve the problem. He said it will not because my registry is messed up. I don't know if they are just trying to hose me, if I actually have a virus, If my brother installed somethinf wrong when we changed cases and power supply. PLEASE HELP :-) I don't know anything about this stuff.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:17 PM

Have you checked the clock in the BIOS?

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:17 PM

Set your time and date to the correct time, restart, and see if that fixes the problem. An incorrect date and time can cause many things to happen, most websites will not load with a certificate error etc. Do this and then report back. if your bios battery is dead, when you unplug the system the time will default and be incorrect. You can change this in bios as well.

Edited by zingo156, 03 March 2014 - 04:18 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 BoltsFan760

BoltsFan760
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:35 PM

Thank you, now before set the time in BIOS how do I do it. I dont know how to enter bios. Like I said I am basically inept, my brother said let me upgrade your comp so you can play games. "Just buy the parts and I'll do it." He did it and now I have this going on.

Right now I have the computer unplugged b/c I was scared of getting my ID stolen.

Maybe It willl help to know I bought this last year on Black Friday. Its not even 6 months old

Edited by BoltsFan760, 03 March 2014 - 04:38 PM.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:40 PM

When you boot it up, it should present you with some keys to push like DEL to Enter Setup or F10, F12, F2, or some other key combo.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

It does seem odd the cmos was cleared, this is not a virus that would cause that though. Just go into the bios and look for the system time. There should be a way to change it. Bios menu's vary so much that I can not tell you exactly where the option is. You can also boot to windows and set the time there.

Edited by zingo156, 03 March 2014 - 04:42 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 BoltsFan760

BoltsFan760
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:45 PM

I hit F2 and I'm in blue old time looking computer screen that

System info

BIOS REVISION

BIOS Build Date

System NAME

Sytem Time 

ETC

I think this is the right screen. The clock and date are both wrong. I'll see if I can change the date/time right now

#8 BoltsFan760

BoltsFan760
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:50 PM

I changed the clock/date to correct time. and saved it. The computer still gave me the System fan failure warning f1 to continue F2 for setup options. I hit F1 it booted normally. The bottom right clock was wrong so I just fixed that too and am now restarting again

Edited by BoltsFan760, 03 March 2014 - 04:51 PM.

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:52 PM

If you look inside the case, is the cpu fan spinning? This fan must be plugged into the cpu fan port on the motherboard or you will get the fan warning. Maybe it is plugged into the wrong fan connection. Double check this if you can or have your friend do this.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:52 PM

Make sure the System Fan is plugged into the CPU Fan Header on the motherboard.

#11 BoltsFan760

BoltsFan760
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:53 PM

When I right click on the desktop background I get a normal pop up menu. I think that is good news. My ESET seems to be working again.

it only has limited connection to my router, and I got a message saying to check for updates again but it couldnt b/c no internet

Edited by BoltsFan760, 03 March 2014 - 04:55 PM.

#12 BoltsFan760

BoltsFan760
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

I think the order of my posts has gotten messed up. Anyway My ESET opened up and is Updating the virus signature database, and the checking to see if I need a product update. I dont think so because I just reupped it the other day until 2016. Seems to be going slow but it is working.

Eset has properly updated and everything is current. Not sure what else I can do at this point

Edited by BoltsFan760, 03 March 2014 - 05:01 PM.

#13 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:00 PM

Disconnect from the internet and then re-connect.

#14 BoltsFan760

BoltsFan760
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:08 PM

Everything seems to be working properly, I did get a message telling me to reinstall DELL Backup and Recovery. Anything else I should do?

It says

Reinstall required

This program needs to be reinstalled before working properly on this new version of windows

>Get help online

>Run program w/o getting help

What should I do

Clicked get help pop up says Dell B/R hass known compatibility issues

progress bar pops up and says No solutions found

When I clicked run program w/o help a ghost image of a rewinding clock showed up and gives me options of backing up/Recovery/reinstalls

I think this is not what I need. Havent used it before. I back up my info somewhere else

Windows is properly updated, I think we are good.

HUGE THANK YOUS TO CRYPTODAN AND ZINGO156

Edited by BoltsFan760, 03 March 2014 - 05:22 PM.

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:10 PM

Make sure you can connect to secure sites, you may need to clear your browser caches and you should be golden.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users