Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP users to be prompted to upgrade.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

In case you didn't know already, Microsoft will be dropping support for Windows XP (SP3) and Office 2003 on April 8, 2014. From this date onwards, Microsoft will no longer provide new security updates, non-security hotfixes, free or paid assisted support options or online technical content updates.

As such, use of Windows XP after this date (on non-isolated systems) is strongly discouraged. Indeed, to encourage PC owners to upgrade from Windows XP Microsoft will be presenting an official notification on the desktop of those Windows XP customers who are using the Home or Professional editions and who have elected to receive updates via Windows Update.

The notification will look like this:

Notification_5F00_64E154AA.jpg

Note: this is a genuine notification and not a symptom of malware (which often uses similar looking prompts to entice a user to download further malicious software. (source)

Microsoft have also partnered with Laplink to provide Windows XP users with a free data migration tool called PCmover Express. This tool for Windows XP will copy over your files and settings from your Windows XP PC to a new device running Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. It will be available for download from windowsxp.com soon.

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:55 PM

More about the transfer tool....

New Windows XP data transfer tool and end of support notifications

To help customers on Windows XP prepare to move to a new PC, we are announcing a free transfer tool that will be available beginning this month. We have partnered with Laplink to provide Windows XP users with a free data migration tool called PCmover Express for Windows XP which copies your files and settings from your Windows XP PC to a new device running Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. This tool will copy your files, music, videos, email and user profiles and settings from your old PC to your new device, transferring across your home or work network, and even enables Windows XP users to customize exactly what they want to bring over to their new device.

AmIRunningXP.com

...a website designed to automatically tell if a PC is running on Windows XP or a newer version of Windows like Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1. If it detects Windows XP, the website provides guidance on how to upgrade ahead of the April 8th end of support deadline.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Percyvere

Percyvere

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:35 AM

If there was a usable alternatve to xp i would give it up, i keep praying reactos will get going but i doubt it.

#4 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:03 PM

I would argue that Windows 8.1 is perfectly usable but I realise that it is not to everyone's test, however, what's wrong with Windows 7?

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#5 Percyvere

Percyvere

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:54 PM

If i had to choose, it would be 8.1, win7 is awfull!

but i think if xp comes to a shuddering halt then its going to be a linux distro.

#6 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:59 PM

Today windows update has this patch Windows XP End of Support Notification (KB2934207) which is the thing this thread is talking about.

If you have windows update set to manual, which I would recommend to advanced users, then it's nice because MS actually gives you a choice whether you want to install this nagware or not. Hmm lemme think, yeah, no I'm not going to install a popup window that tells me something I already know every day lol.

For those who have automatic updates and got this thing installed on them, apparently you can uninstall it in add/remove programs.

#7 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:58 AM

Thanks for the update (pun intended) bludshot.

#8 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:21 AM

Got this update earlier this morning.  It was added automatically as just another update like all the others.  Guess there'll be more to come.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:17 AM

Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them
How to Hide Updates in Windows XP
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 White_Zombie

White_Zombie

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:20 PM

Yeah, unfortunately I'm going to have to upgrade a ton of people to Windows 7, since they are too scared to run XP without support or updates.

#11 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:50 PM

Just charge them for it, then it becomes "fortunately" :wink:

#12 White_Zombie

White_Zombie

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:27 AM

Just charge them for it, then it becomes "fortunately" :wink:

lol...yep

#13 CaptainHDY

CaptainHDY

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:07 PM

Problem as usual is the apps that will not run on a win 7 and above platform. and more apps taht will not work in a 64bit enviorment. I could list 20 such apps right now and even in windows xp compatibility mode they still do not function. Most users do not wish to replace all their software in their libary so it is hard to get users to move to a new vertion of somthing they have been use to for years.

#14 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:50 AM

I wouldn't call it 'nagware'...there's the 'Don't show this message again' checkbox (smart thinking, MS! ;) )

I accidently installed it Tues. Oh well, it's not there now.

BUT.....today I installed a Microsoft Security Essentials update through Windows Update. I forgot to jot down the KB#. But it was a "End of Support" notification for MSE. Just a reminder that support for XP would be ending, and that I 'may' be at risk. I didn't mind that, but MSE went from green to orange in my taskbar, and wouldn't change green after a scan (I have it set to scan every monday evening, like clockwork. Never had an issue).

So, bye-bye MSE! Hello AVG on my work PC!  (LOL that rhymes)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users