Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Madforit

Madforit

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:00 PM

The other day I accidentally started to insert a USB cable the wrong way around and when i realised it was the wrong way around I had made contact with just a couple of the pins and as you know they wont insert fully the wrong way anyway but as this happened my laptop suddenly shut itself down and now it won't turn on or charge or do anything.

Do you think that I could of killed the motherboard or something similar and how can i find out what the actual problem is ?

Any help would be great,.

It is a Fujitsu but i am not sure of the model number at this moment as I am at a friends house, It is almost a year old and was a cheap model,,I know this isn't much help but I guess that this sort of problem would be similar whatever system it happened on.

Thanks in advance.

Please forgive me if I have put this in the wrong part of the forum but i couldn't work out which was right.

Stevo

Moderator Edit: Moved from general Chat to a more appropriate forum

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 03 March 2014 - 02:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ToxicUlcer

ToxicUlcer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:58 PM

I don't see how you could have killed the laptop completely just by USBing upside down.  I'm half blind and I plug USB connectors in by feel all the time.  My bet is that it is just a coincidence.  On the other hand, I've never owned a Fujitsu laptop. 

First thing to try:  Remove the battery.  Plug in A/C power cord.  Press power button and see if she will power up.  If it powers on and boots OK with no battery in it, you've got a kaput battery.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:09 PM

As Toxic mentioned, unplug the battery and the power adapter, then plug just the power adapter back in and try to power on.

What color are the usb ports? Do you know if they are usb 2.0 or 3.0? USB 3.0 have enough power to cause some serious damage to components, I have seen a usb device that was melted when it was put in too far and was constantly shorting. Your computer obviously shut down to protect the circuit. They are generally designed to shut off in case of dead shorts. I have seen a single time shorting a port cause a permanent failure with a mainboard but this is rare.

Visually inspect the usb port, is there any pin that is bent and currently shorting out? This could prevent the computer from powering on.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users