Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WHY apple account update requires CREDIT CARD INFO

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:46 AM

I'm trying to get a FREE UPDATE.

I paid a ransom fee for this computer and I SERIOUSLY REGRET having anything to do with APLLE.

From their ripoff policies about stuff i PURCHASED and for which they now decide to tack on another fee

to this latest thing of being refused updates unless I give them my credit card number

This company should be investigated for FRAUD

This is about my Desktop Computer so maybe it is in the wrong place - sorry

I am frustrated beyond word with Apple

Tried to get onto MacRumor and played a never ending update password game so gave up on that.

My last nerve has done been had and so have I.

Edited by hamluis, 03 March 2014 - 07:00 PM.
Moved from Apple IOS to MAC O/S - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:58 PM

Link

Louis

#3 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 696 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:22 PM

Link

Louis

Thanks for the link - now it seems the password I used just a day ago is no long acceptable.  Going to have to get that straight, normally should be no big deal but this is apple.    There's this thing where in some cases you have to have a user name and some places you have to use the email address and they can't seem to make up their mind which way it is.   I hate passwords - they are a necessary evil.   I'm well on my way toward hating, or at least despising APPLE as well.  I do appreciate the link and it should hopefully get me thru my latest tribulation.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:17 PM

I'm trying to get a FREE UPDATE.

I paid a ransom fee for this computer and I SERIOUSLY REGRET having anything to do with APLLE.

From their ripoff policies about stuff i PURCHASED and for which they now decide to tack on another fee

to this latest thing of being refused updates unless I give them my credit card number

This company should be investigated for FRAUD

This is about my Desktop Computer so maybe it is in the wrong place - sorry

I am frustrated beyond word with Apple

Don't know what you mean about them tacking on another fee. The update (assuming you mean Mac OS 10.9 aka Mavericks) is free. They just require you to have a credit card on file to be able download any updates, even free ones.

Yes, that is kind of a crappy policy, but it is not fraud. And it is a policy that has been in place for years, so it is nothing something new that they "sprung on you" without it being public information.

FWIW, you should be able to download individual "bug" & security updates directly from the Apple website without needing to tell them your credit card if memory servers. The downside is that you will have to find them yourself (not that hard) and download and install each individually. This will NOT be the case for the upgrade from Mountain Lion (or Lion) to Mavericks.

Tried to get onto MacRumor and played a never ending update password game so gave up on that.

My last nerve has done been had and so have I.

You do realize that MacRumor is not part of Apple, right?

#5 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 696 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:27 PM

Yes I realize they are seperate entities however it was one fiasco on top of another and it almost always revolves around something to do with Apple.

If I had time I'd tell you all the reasons why I regret purchasing an Apple computer and why I take issue with company policies.

Everyday I get a notice to get my FREE UPDATES but as yet they are unavailable to me, after paying $1200 for a computer I have a problem with that.

They have no right to my Social Security Number or my Credit Card and frankly they can go to HELL.

This is the only company I constantly have problems logging onto with their password / user name policies.    I regret my purchase more and more with each passing day.    They are impossible to reach unless you pay another king's ransom for their support.

#6 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:29 AM

Apple has never asked for my SSI #, ever. My CC # yes, but it's because I have bought all my Macs, iPods, iPhones, apps, music, movies, tv shows etc from Apple. It sounds like Apple products aren't for you. Do you know that Macs have a pretty good resale value? Sell your Mac and buy something better for your needs. 

My experiences with Apple have been completely opposite of yours.

Edited by Buddyme2, 07 March 2014 - 01:15 AM.

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:54 AM

Yes I realize they are seperate entities however it was one fiasco on top of another and it almost always revolves around something to do with Apple.

Again, the MacRumors site has nothing to do with Apple other than the fact that they are a independent site covering Apple products. Don't blame Apple for problems that you may have with the MacRumors site. That is like blaming Microsoft for problems that I might have logging into a site like Bleepingcomputer or PCWorld.

If I had time I'd tell you all the reasons why I regret purchasing an Apple computer and why I take issue with company policies.

Everyday I get a notice to get my FREE UPDATES but as yet they are unavailable to me, after paying $1200 for a computer I have a problem with that.

They have no right to my Social Security Number or my Credit Card and frankly they can go to HELL.

Apple has never asked for a Social Security Number in all the years I have used Macs (about 30 now) and I doubt they ever will. About the only reason that I could see them asking for it would be if you did some sort of financing directly through Apple (as opposed to putting it on a credit card or paying cash) for the purchase of the computer.

If you don't want to give them your credit card number, then don't…but then you won't get the free update to Mavericks (at least through the App Store). That is entirely up to you.

This is the only company I constantly have problems logging onto with their password / user name policies.    I regret my purchase more and more with each passing day.    They are impossible to reach unless you pay another king's ransom for their support.

How long ago did you purchase the computer? If it was with in the last 90 days, you should not have to pay for any support. If it is past 90 day, they may as ask for a credit card when you call in for support, but should not charge you anything if it is an actual hardware problem that needs to be repaired under warranty. If it is a software problem (i.e. OS problem) then they likely will charge you for support. Frankly, this approach is not that much different from most computer companies these days.

The other option is to make an appointment at an Apple Store, which is free. Of course, this assumes there is one near you, which may not be the case. FWIW, not many other computer companies offer THIS option. EDIT: Your info says you are in Lee's Summit, Mo. If that is the case, then it appears there is an Apple Store about 30 minutes away.

What problems logging onto their system or problems with password are you having? If you explain what issues you are having, we might be able to help. Of course, you just want to vent/grip, then feel free to continue to do so…but we will not really be able to help much if that is all you want to do.

Edited by smax013, 07 March 2014 - 01:58 AM.

#8 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:12 AM

This may or may not help: https://discussions.apple.com/message/21237122#21237122  The only way it would help is if once you did that process, then your apple id account would no longer ask you for a credit card to get the mac updates - but I have NO IDEA if that's the case so this could be useless info.

#9 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:28 AM

Use a prepaid gift card, like an American Express, MasterCard, or Visa. I used one on my account years ago, still does not ask for the card number. Also, Apple is not the devil. They make passwords difficult to create in order to make sure they are original, to protect you. Also, you should be using your email for everything. Your Apple account is associated with an email, not a Username. The only exception would be GameCenter, if you use that at all.

Unofficial iOS Genius

#10 6jake9

6jake9

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:23 PM

Isn't entering your credit card information optional? I've upgraded multiple Macs to Maverick via the app store with updates as well without having to enter in any credit card information. I assumed all of that was just "preparing" you for the App Store... you know, so your kids can buy games without your permission and whatnot.

#11 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 696 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:55 PM

Isn't entering your credit card information optional? I've upgraded multiple Macs to Maverick via the app store with updates as well without having to enter in any credit card information. I assumed all of that was just "preparing" you for the App Store... you know, so your kids can buy games without your permission and whatnot.

It didn't appear optional to me because I couldn't go forward without entering a credit card.   And believe it or not I am STILL trying to deal with this.    

I quit a while back because I wasn't getting anywhere and getting frustrated and since it wasn't life or death I said the heck with it. 

Well here it is months later and its still nuts.

I finally figured I'd just make a whole new apple id but they said I already had an i.d. with that address.    So I tried another address that I thought I found the password to but the password wouldn't work so I said I forgot and answered all the blah blah about that so then they said they had sent me a link to get a new password and they didn't 

I don't care what anyone else says I HATE APPLE

and I HATE PASSWORDS even though I realize on the one hand we need them but on the other hand everybody has to be CUTE WITH THEM.

Rather than tell you UPFRONT - choose a password that has to be "x" number of characters, cannot start with a number, has to have a capital letter, has to have a symbol, can't be one you used before blah blah blah like that, they let you try one but they tell you it doesn't have enough characters so you make a longer one and then they say "Has to have a Capital" so then you choose one with a capital letter and it says "Has to have a symbol" so you choose one with a symbol and then it says MUST HAVE at least one number so you choose one with a number and then it says it CANNOT START with a number, blah blah blah

Before I get through I forget why I was trying to join because it started about 3 issues back and in order to solve the first issue I found another issue and by the time I get 3 issues deep I forget what the heck ONE SILLY DUMB "simple" thing I needed to do and I do what I did before and say THE HECK WITH IT which is where I am now but I know I need to fix my java file but oddly enough I do remember my first issue and that was it - fixing java and it all went downhill from there.

i REITERATE I HATE PASSWORDS AND I HATE APPLE.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

#12 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 696 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:02 PM

All this is made the more complicated because THE FIRST ISSUE I was trying to deal with is that something is wrong with my network and somewhere I got a pop-up suggestion that something was wrong with my javascript.   So now I'm gonna start another thread on that but that's the reason I didn't edit my response from just a minute ago I couldn't.  Its a long story.

#13 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 696 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:30 PM

Wanting to give Apple the benefit of the doubt I thought maybe I should allow them a little more time to send the link they said they were sending but at least a half hour later there is no link to change my password.

And that's why I especially hate APPLE because it always turns out to be A HUGE HASSEL.

My patience (or lack thereof) is not one of my strong suits so I've been trying to be "cool" about this because I only end up complicating things if I "lose it" but after the all weekend long problem with my connection and now this apple thing I can feel myself DRIFTING in the direction of LOSING IT.

I hate when that happens.

#14 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 696 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:25 PM

I don't see any option.    I HATE APPLE.   They kept saying I didn't have the right password and my security answers were wrong to use my Apple ID so I finally decided to heck with it and got a whole complete new idea and i stuidous wrote down every detail.

So I'm back where I was months ago getting this FREE UPDATE and it asks for my ID so I enter it and it says  - you have never used this id so I had to review the agreement and I did and sign I accepted that and then they asked for my credit card info and it won't go any further.  

Since the very first day I got this computer every time I try to contact them there's always a problem, wrong id, wrong password, or many other things but this damn thing of browbeating you into using a credit card and giving them the info is heavy-handed.   In the day and age when THEFT of credit info is rampant I resent like hell being hounded/bullied into giving it so I'm not and Apple can kiss my @$$ - I've told anyone who asks about my experiences that they are IMPOSSIBLE and unless they like jumping thru endless hoops to pass by APPLE - the price is exorbitant and so far I AM NOT IMPRESSED.    I just wish they quit messaging me and the pop-ups advising me to update WHEN I CAN'T

Edited by JayJax, 14 August 2014 - 04:26 PM.

#15 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:54 PM

Spot on Hamluis  I am learning ever day?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users