Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Failures; Slow PC SAS Freezez and Graphic Card Miscues

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
108 replies to this topic

#46 sspea

sspea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:19 AM

I did go back and Hide the Intel update.

Computer seems to be running fine short of the video and this popup advertisement within Firefox from an application called Arcade Parlor which seems to have its oun subdirectory on my menu (under All Programs).  That and a lot of new Bing stuff Microsoft provided in the updates.

The Intel driver info I had to unhide but I did not restore.  The Alert window says:

Intel Corporation - Display - Intel® HD Graphics

Download Size: 43.1 MB

Update type: recommended

Intel Corportion Display software update released in January 2012

More info: http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20466598

ESET Inspector log could not attach because the zip file is 497KB (limit is 442.95KB).  Suggestions?

Here are the logs for Services Repair:

Log Opened: 2014-03-12 @ 09:47:56
09:47:56 - -----------------
09:47:56 - | Begin Logging |
09:47:56 - -----------------
09:47:56 - Fix started on a WIN_7 X64 computer
09:47:56 - Prep in progress.  Please Wait.
09:47:58 - Prep complete
09:47:58 - Repairing Services Now.  Please wait...
INFO: The restore action ignores the object name parameter (paths are read from the backup file). However, other actions that require the object name may be combined with -restore.
INFORMATION: Input file for restore operation opened: '.\Win7\BFE.sddl'
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\BFE\Parameters\Policy\Persistent\SubLayer>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\BFE\Parameters\Policy\Persistent\Provider>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\BFE\Parameters\Policy\Persistent\Filter>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\BFE\Parameters\Policy\Persistent>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\BFE\Parameters\Policy\BootTime\Filter>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\BFE\Parameters\Policy\BootTime>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\BFE\Parameters\Policy>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\BFE\Parameters>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\BFE>

SetACL finished successfully.
INFO: The restore action ignores the object name parameter (paths are read from the backup file). However, other actions that require the object name may be combined with -restore.
INFORMATION: Input file for restore operation opened: '.\Win7\BITS.sddl'
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\BITS\Security>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\BITS\Performance>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\BITS\Parameters>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\BITS>

INFORMATION: Input file for restore operation opened: '.\Win7\iphlpsvc.sddl'
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\iphlpsvc\Teredo>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\iphlpsvc\Parameters\Teredo\{FA88062C-9A61-4C1E-AC45-7143F8F01AAD}>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\iphlpsvc\Parameters\Teredo>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\iphlpsvc\Parameters\Isatap\{8AD2FB26-F91E-44F1-9B24-3C0AE56C9CE0}>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\iphlpsvc\Parameters\Isatap>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\iphlpsvc\Parameters\IPHTTPS>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\iphlpsvc\Parameters>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\iphlpsvc\Interfaces>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\iphlpsvc\config>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\iphlpsvc>

INFORMATION: Input file for restore operation opened: '.\Win7\MpsSvc.sddl'
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\MpsSvc\Security>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\MpsSvc\Parameters\PortKeywords\Teredo>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\MpsSvc\Parameters\PortKeywords\RPC-EPMap>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\MpsSvc\Parameters\PortKeywords\IPTLSOut>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\MpsSvc\Parameters\PortKeywords\IPTLSIn>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\MpsSvc\Parameters\PortKeywords\DHCP>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\MpsSvc\Parameters\PortKeywords>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\MpsSvc\Parameters>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\MpsSvc>

INFORMATION: Input file for restore operation opened: '.\Win7\SharedAccess.sddl'
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\Logging>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\GloballyOpenPorts>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\AuthorizedApplications>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\RestrictedServices\Static\System>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\RestrictedServices\Static>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\RestrictedServices\Configurable\System>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\RestrictedServices\Configurable>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\RestrictedServices>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\PublicProfile\Logging>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\PublicProfile\GloballyOpenPorts>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\PublicProfile\AuthorizedApplications>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\PublicProfile>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\DomainProfile\Logging>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\DomainProfile\GloballyOpenPorts>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\DomainProfile\AuthorizedApplications>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\DomainProfile>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess\Epoch2>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess\Epoch>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess\Defaults\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\Logging>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess\Defaults\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess\Defaults\FirewallPolicy\PublicProfile\Logging>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess\Defaults\FirewallPolicy\PublicProfile>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess\Defaults\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess\Defaults\FirewallPolicy\DomainProfile\Logging>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess\Defaults\FirewallPolicy\DomainProfile>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess\Defaults\FirewallPolicy>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess\Defaults>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\SharedAccess>

INFORMATION: Input file for restore operation opened: '.\Win7\WinDefend.sddl'
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\WinDefend\TriggerInfo\0>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\WinDefend\TriggerInfo>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\WinDefend\Security>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\WinDefend\Parameters>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\WinDefend>

INFORMATION: Input file for restore operation opened: '.\Win7\wscsvc.sddl'
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\wscsvc\Security>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\wscsvc\Parameters>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\wscsvc>

INFORMATION: Input file for restore operation opened: '.\Win7\wuauserv.sddl'
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\wuauserv\Security>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\wuauserv\Parameters>
INFORMATION: Restoring SD of: <machine\System\CurrentControlset\Services\wuauserv>

09:47:59 - Services Repair Complete.
09:54:46 - Reboot Initiated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#47 Oh My!

Oh My!

Adware and Spyware and Malware.....

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 37,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:26 AM

So are you saying when you hide that update you are no longer getting the video card warning?

Please upload the ESET zip file here.

Gary

If I do not reply within 24 hours please send me a Personal Message.

"Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God."

#48 sspea

sspea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:38 AM

Sorry for not being more clear.  I have hidden the Intel driver update within the Windows Update program, but upon rebooting the computer I still get the Error Alert saying my graphics card is out of whack and it looks like I'm in Safe Mode.

#49 sspea

sspea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:39 AM

ESET file has been sent.

Thanks!

Steve

#50 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,957 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

Hi Steve,

Please do this for me.

===================================================

Testing Video Performance Using Ubuntu Live CD

--------------

For these steps you will need a blank CD.
  • Download 10.04.4 LTS onto your desktop. This is a large file so allow it some time to download
  • Download and install ISO Recorder (either 64 bit or 32 bit) if you do not already have ISO burning software on your computer.
  • Insert a CD into your CD player
  • Double click on the Ubuntu icon
  • Click Burn, then Close when completed
  • Restart your infected computer. If your computer does not automatically boot from the CD please see here
  • Once the Ubuntu desktop is loaded please select English and then Try Ubuntu (be patient while the program loads)

Ubuntu.jpg

• If your wireless connection is encrypted click the Wireless Connection icon in the upper right corner of the screen and log into your router
  • Left click on the Firefox icon on the left hand side (Firefox is included in the program)
  • Navigate to the web pages you were experiencing difficulties with and check your video performance
  • Once you are through testing close all open windows
  • In the upper right hand corner of your screen select the icon just to the right of the time
  • Click Shut down... then click Shut down... again in the pop up window
  • Post back with the results
===================================================

Things I would like to see in your next reply. Please be sure to copy and paste any requested log information unless you are asked to attach it. :thumbsup2:
  • How is your video quality?

Edited by Oh My, 12 March 2014 - 11:28 AM.

Gary

"Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God."

#51 sspea

sspea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:53 AM

I'm not sure i understand.  I downloaded the zip file to the desktop.  loaded up a DVD blank and then the AutoPlay comes up asking if I want to Burn files to disc via explorer, DVD, Add files or Add files to disc with Roxio.  None have Ubuntu.  I hit the wubi.exe file that was in the zip file and it has me at a screen for the Ubuntu Installer (17GB to install) and to select a username and pwd.  I have not hit Install.  What do I do from here?

#52 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,957 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

Hi Steve,

You do not have ISO burning software on your computer so I modified the instructions with a link to download what you need. Close out any AutoPlay screen that comes up. When you double click the ISO file it should launch ISO Recorder. If not, let me know.
Gary

#53 sspea

sspea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

Hmm.  I am looking at the zip file (ubuntu-10.04.4-desktop-i386.iso.zip) and when i click on it i get a listing of 8 folders and the following files:

autorun.inf

md5sum.txt

README.diskdefines

ubuntu

wubi.exe

I had previously clicked on the .exe file and that is where I'm at.  Sorry for not understanding, but should I go back to the zip (unextracted file)?  or click on one of the other files?  or complete the username and pwd for the Ubuntu installer?

#54 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,957 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:42 AM

Right click on the file select Rename and remove ".zip" Then double click the icon and see if you get different results. Not sure where the zip came from since it is not a zip file you are downloading.

Edited by Oh My, 12 March 2014 - 12:09 PM.

Gary

#55 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,957 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:44 AM

Your icon should look like this.

Gary

#56 sspea

sspea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:27 PM

OK mea cupla.  I screwed up.  Sorry for wasting your time.  Completely forgot the ISO Recorder step.  Did all that, opened, burned.  Rebooted, but didn't come from CD.  So I went into BIOS to change boot order.  It powered down twice before i could get it changed fast enough.  Rebooted from CD and it powered down, twice.  Got a partial ISOLINUX loading screen, powered down.  Got to a purple screen, powered down.  Got to the language, powered down.  Got to the "Try Ubuntu" screen and powered down.  Never got that close again 6-7 times.  And that's where I'm at.

#57 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,957 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:35 PM

What exactly does it do during "power down"? Is the program shutting itself down?
Gary

#58 sspea

sspea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:37 PM

I will be at a certain screen like the Language screen or the loading screen, and then the screen goes black while I hear the CD stop spinning and the power indicator lights on the laptop go dark.  Total silence in a blink of an eye.

#59 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,957 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:42 PM

OK, I am not saying that isn't a problem but what you are describing may be normal. Let it continue until it tests your patience then be patient again! The disk is loading a lot of information into your computer memory and often times it appears as if nothing is happening for an extended period of time.

Let me know.
Gary

#60 sspea

sspea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:01 PM

OK, I had forgotten that after posting my results about the powering down last time that I had gone back in and changed the boot sequence.  So I just powered it back up and both the hard drive and the CD ran.  Ubuntu came right up!  Got as far as testing the wireless connection and getting into Firefox.  Problem is I dont think I have any web pages where I was experiencing difficulties.  I had mentioned that when my kids use Wizard101, it connects through its own engine and the picture looks a lot like Safe Mode.  But we have deleted Wizard101 from the system.

As far as how the screen looks?  Absolutely awesome right now.  But I am still in Ubuntu.  I am going to power down and then see if the graphics are any better.

Thanks,

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users