Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wipe computer, set up partitions properly

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 teatrap

teatrap

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:32 AM

I've never done this before, so it'd be good to get some guidance on it... This is part practical part learning. My partitions aren't set up as well as they could be, and I'd like to learn this for future reference. Thing is I'm unsure of the steps I have to take, I don't want to create a paper weight.... 

I'm going to list what I think has to be done. If anyone could add to / subtract from or guide me to any thing I should probably read up on / guidance that'd be much appreciated!

1 Disk image current set up - just so that I have everything backed up. I guess I can use Macrium Reflect / Windows built in image system for this.
2 Create a USB Boot drive. I think there's a way to do this within Windows. 
3 WinPE disc / Linux disc? I've heard of these - I don't use Linux (I think one of the disc types is referred to as Linux though) 
4 Check the image has worked correctly. Check the USB Boot drive. 
5 Wipe laptop? 

I'm unsure what comes after 5 ... I would like to set up the partitions so that the OS and programs are on one and the files are on another. So would I need three partitions? And is this something that's done during the setup process or afterwards. 

C : OS
D : Files
E : Recovery 

I would at some point in the future like to use Linux on this system, but I guess I can do that as and when rather than having to consider it at the moment? 

Few tips would be great. cheers  :thumbup2:

Operating system_Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center (9600)
CPU_Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
Motherboard_Hewlett-Packard (1966)
RAM_12063mb
Hard Drive_931gb (HGST HTS541010A9E680)
Graphics card_Intel® HD Graphics 4600
Sound card_IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:17 PM

The Windows 8 DVD contains the tools necessary to delete any existing partitions, create partitions and then format each partition.

Of course this deletes everything so you'll want a good backup (or two) first.

#3 teatrap

teatrap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:57 PM

The Windows 8 DVD contains the tools necessary to delete any existing partitions, create partitions and then format each partition.

Of course this deletes everything so you'll want a good backup (or two) first.

DVD? I don't have a DVD.... The laptop came with windows 8 - since then I have upgraded to 8.1

RAM_12063mb

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:17 PM

Hi

To create an additional partition for data storage, you don't need to wipe out the OS. You can use Disk Management to split the "C" drive and create a new partition from the free space.

1.  First move all your data ( cut and paste ) to an external medium ( DVD /USB ). Also uninstall all unnecessary software to free disk space.

2. "Defragment" the C drive. 

Please follow "Option one" of this guide - http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/8615-optimize-drives-defrag-hdd-trim-ssd-windows-8-a.html

3. "Shrink" C: and create a new partition.

Please read this guide carefully - http://www.tweakhound.com/2013/01/02/how-to-resize-your-windows-8-partition/

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 03 March 2014 - 11:18 PM.

#5 teatrap

teatrap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:16 AM

Cheers Anshad - I didn't think that defragging was a thing / necessary any more... not sure where I got that idea from 

I'll have a read through the links though :)

Would you suggest having :

OS  /  Programs  /  Files        or       OS & Programs  /  Files

as the partition set up? 

RAM_12063mb

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:45 AM

Hi

Surely OS & Programs  /  Files is what i recommends ( one partition for OS and one for data storage ). 

I didn't think that defragging was a thing / necessary any more... not sure where I got that idea from 

It is highly recommended to defragment the hard drive before shrinking. Because the amount available for you to shrink will be purely depended on the total free space available and the degree of file fragmentation. Even you have plenty of free space available to split, "Disk Management" may not allow you to shrink it if the drive is severely fragmented. 

btw, it doesn't matter whether you defrag or not after shrinking.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 04 March 2014 - 08:46 AM.

#7 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:22 AM

DVD? I don't have a DVD.... The laptop came with windows 8 - since then I have upgraded to 8.1

Let me try and reword that. The Windows 8 installation routine contains the tools necessary to delete any existing partitions, create partitions and then format each partition.

Edited by SpywareDoctor, 04 March 2014 - 09:48 AM.

#8 j_bins

j_bins

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:48 PM

Can I just ask for clarification regarding Windows 8.1 and partitions?

I am getting a new PC and want to partition the 1Tb HD when it arrives. Am I correct in thinking that:

It is possible to shrink the existing partition then use the new unallocated space to create/format a new partition without loosing data, programs and the OS? And this can be done with no risk?

....not sure how much space to allocate for data and how much for OS/progs though?....... :wacko:

#9 teatrap

teatrap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:18 PM

j_bins - I'm sure someone will comment with better info than me, but as far as partition size goes for OS - my recovery drive is 23GB so I'm guessing that's the size of the OS. 

It is possible to shrink the existing partition then use the new unallocated space to create/format a new partition without loosing data, programs and the OS? And this can be done with no risk?

Well I doubt there's ever anything that's objectively 'no risk', but as far as I can tell it's a pretty common practice, so I wouldn't imagine that would be any drama around it... 

How many partitions are you going to have? 

1 OS
2 Programs
3 Files

or 

1 OS / Programs
2 Files

There are probably other combinations as well... I'm not sure what's best / most secure / quickest. I imagine that having them more separated might make any future changes easier to implement, I don't really know though. 

I would have thought that the partitioning would have been done after the install, and then assign documents / music / downloads etc to the new partition. 

Like I say, I haven't actually done this, Interested to hear what others say though as it's on topic. 

FYI my program files / program 86 files folders combined size is 25 GB. I don't have games installed, I have a fair few programs kicking about though. So perhaps 100 GB would be a conservative number for the programs, seeing as you have a fair size drive to play with. 

RAM_12063mb

#10 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:36 PM

Forget partitioniing. Each one has a fixed size that is a pain to adjust. Folder sizes automatically adjust.

#11 teatrap

teatrap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:41 PM

Forget partitioniing. Each one has a fixed size that is a pain to adjust. Folder sizes automatically adjust.

What so just have OS / Progs / Files all on the same partition? 

RAM_12063mb

#12 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

Sure, why not?. It's just as easy to backup a folder as it is a partition.

#13 teatrap

teatrap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

Sure, why not?. It's just as easy to backup a folder as it is a partition.

I thought that having things partitioned made OS changes easier as well as restores and stuff? 

It makes more sense to me it being used in a tower or something and the actual drives being separate.... I just thought It was 'best practice'!

RAM_12063mb

#14 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

Hasn't been "best practice" around here for a number of years. ;)

#15 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:19 AM

What so just have OS / Progs / Files all on the same partition? 

That will make troubleshooting Windows a lot more difficult. Just think how many hours it take for a CHKDSK operation to repair a single 1 TB partition. Also no matter how well you maintain your system, Windows may need re-installing at some point of time. If OS and data are separated,  re-installing OS or restoring it from a backup will be a piece of cake. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users