Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Randomly Restarts

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dilute

Dilute

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:54 AM

So I recently installed a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 on my PC. Though unfortunately, after a week or so, I got the following message:

"Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you."

And it restarts and boots up safely, and I can continue my work.

But from then on, it happens randomly at least twice everyday. Since I'm a PC gamer, I'm usually just playing games, mostly multiplayer, so when I'm doing that, the message pops up and the PC restarts. I have no idea why this is happening.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:42 AM

"Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you."

And it restarts and boots up safely, and I can continue my work.

You are experiencing a Blue Screen of Death issue which can be caused by either software or hardware reasons. Since you are a PC gamer, first thing i would recommend is to disable any overclocking and voltage tweaks ( if there is any ). Also enter BIOS setup and load "default values". If the issue remains, please post a reply with the crash dump files attached.

1. Windows will save a crash dump files every time it crashes. You will find them inside C:\Windows\Minidump folder. You need to disable UAC before copying the dumps. Then copy all of them and compress them using 7-zip. Attach the dumps using "More reply options --> Attach files" option.

2. Also publish a snapshot of your system using "Speccy".

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

#3 Dilute

Dilute
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

There's no overclocking or voltage leaks, so that's nothing really to bother about. I entered BIOS setup on bootup and set the default values, but no luck. I disabled UAC and compressed all the .dmp files into an archive I've tried to attach to this post. But unfortunately the following error occurs: "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file"

So I uploaded it on Mediafire: 

https://www.mediafire.com/?5cpn194ibk4ojw9

Snapshot:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/8cpFBDdPCDWKELqVFMUcXPJ

Edited by Dilute, 03 March 2014 - 10:53 AM.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:32 AM

Hi

The issue you are experiencing seems to be related to downloading torrents.

BugCheck D1, {28, 2, 0, fffff80000d4643f}

Probably caused by : NETIO.SYS ( NETIO!RtlCopyBufferToMdl+1f )

As a test, please stop all torrent downloading and seeding. Also remove the torrent client from startup ( uninstalling the client will be better ).  Then use the system and observe whether the BSOD stops. Depending on your findings, i will post further instructions.

Regards. 

#5 Dilute

Dilute
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:52 AM

I had removed the torrent client(uTorrent) from startup earlier, but after I enabled it, the issue occurred even more. Thanks a lot. I'll let you know if uninstalling worked or not.

#6 Dilute

Dilute
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:51 AM

The PC does not shut down while uTorrent is not running, but when it is running, the PC tends to restart. 

Would you mind sharing how you identified the cause of the problem?

Edited by Dilute, 04 March 2014 - 04:52 AM.

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:44 AM

Would you mind sharing how you identified the cause of the problem?

BSOD which blames NETIO.SYS is usually caused by torrent clients in most times.   So i made an educated guess and nothing else. 

Now another test for you if you need downloading torrents. Instead of using "utorrent" , please install "FDM" full version and let me know whether the BSOD happens with it.

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/download.htm

#8 Dilute

Dilute
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:28 AM

FDM looks nice, but in that, my downloads don't start at all. I'm downloading something literally every time, so I can't really deend on FDM for that. 

I'm downloading Bittorrent now. Hopefully the issue shouldn't be present with that.

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:27 AM

Hi

Bittorrent and utorrent are not much different. I would suggest trying Bitlordhttp://www.bitlord.com/

If the BSOD continues, let me know.

#10 Dilute

Dilute
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:53 AM

Yeah, the issue comes back with Bitorrent. I guess that's because they're from the same devs.

I'll try out Bitlord.

Edited by Dilute, 07 March 2014 - 04:54 AM.

#11 Dilute

Dilute
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

The BSOD no longer occurs. And Bitlord is turning out to be an amazing torrent client; I get really high download speeds. Thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users