Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD A10-5750M - New Laptop - Game Windows Blink / Flicker

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Britain 

Britain 

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:39 AM

Hello users of Bleeping Computer, this is the first time I've posted here about a hardware issue, though I think it might be more of a software issue, possibly drivers that I haven't found or some type of software I'm unaware of or some setting that is on that was on by default that shouldn't be... I honestly have no idea what I'm doing here.

First off if this in the wrong section, I apologize in advance and if you need to move it to the correct section then please do, sorry for the trouble if I messed up.

----

Alright, down to the issue I'm having. I bought a new laptop, and I knew I shouldn't expect much out of this for games, but this clearly is an issue and not a system limitation. When I open a game, almost any game... I think the only exception is OpenGL stuff? Don't take my word 100% on that, I've only noticed two games not blink and the rest of the games I've tried will always blink. Blink / Flicker.. not really sure what the correct term to use here.

The title/header of the window will blink about every 0.5 - 1 seconds, and very very briefly there will be a (Not Responding) message by the title that goes away instantly. I have found a sort of loop around where if I open a window that removes the focus from the game, then minimize the new window, I can then play the game normally without blinking. However, if I need the mouse for any reason the moment I click inside the game window again it will begin to blink/flicker again.

Example:

7SsLBTH.png

2aNhwKy.png

I don't know very much about computers, so I'm seeking help from people that do. I believe it's common practice to provide a DXDiag file when asking for help with stuff like this, so I attached the results of the scan to this post.

Here is the System Information portion of the file, the rest will be in the attached file.

------------------
System Information
------------------

Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_gdr.131030-1505)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PC
BIOS: F.31
Processor: AMD A10-5750M APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics   (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 7366MB RAM
Page File: 6257MB used, 8533MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

-----

Things I've tried doing:

• Updating the drivers

I have no idea if they installed correctly or not, I didn't see any change at all.

Also: When I click the window it always blinks, every time I click.

Also2: Sometimes (not all the time) when I minimize a game window it's very difficult to bring it back up, almost a struggle.

If I need to provide any further information to diagnose the issue, please let me know. I'll be following this topic to receive updates ASAP.

Attached Files

Edited by Britain , 03 March 2014 - 03:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:28 AM

I think your idea about drivers is correct, I have found many preloaded computers have what ever was on the loading disks none of the latest drivers.  I would go to the AMD site and see what they have to help you out.

Also go on windows update and get all the fixes/patches.

Just scanned through your Dx report it does appear to be up to date, you may not find much out there but still worth trying. 

Edited by OldPhil, 03 March 2014 - 07:36 AM.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 Britain 

Britain 
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

I'm beginning to think this is a windows 8.1 issue.

The laptop came with windows 8 and I upgraded to 8.1, though I did it before playing any games really because I was still trying to get use the the OS and really just wanted my start menu button back, and of course the 8.1 version isn't that either.

I like the smoothness of windows 8, the apps that you can drag to the side of your screen, along with some other things the OS has done. I might try doing a wipe and reinstalling windows 8, but if that doesn't work I'm pretty sure I'll have to go back to 7.

I called AMD, they said they couldn't help and that I needed to talk with HP. I called HP and they pointed the finger at windows 8.1. They recommend I call Microsoft but I can only imagine another finger will be pointed in a different direction once again.

If it's the OS, then it's not worth having. If it's the hardware I have a warranty that I can make use of and get a replacement. If it's the software I can try to find something that works, but no amount of driver updates has seemed to affect my system at all in any way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users