Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive making clicking noise, am I able to recover data?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ItsMe_JESI

ItsMe_JESI

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:39 PM

Hello all... I sure hope someone can help me...

Our laptop would not boot and gave this error:

Problem Signature:

Problem Event Name:   StartupRepairOffline
Problem signature01:  6.1.7600.16385
problem signature02:  6.1.7600.16385
problem signature03:  unknown
problem signature04:  34
problem signature05:  AutoFailover
problem signature06:  1
problem signature07:  BadDisk
OS Version:           6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID:            1033

We've taken the HD out and mounted it in a hard drive station on another computer to see if we could get the files off. It showed up at first but my boyfriend was looking through the files instead of just copying them over to a new HD and then all of a sudden it would no longer show up. I hooked it up to another computer to see if it would show up on there but it wouldn't there either under "My Computer." I checked in disk management and it was there but it had a black line at the top and said it was unallocated and I was unable to do anything with it. I downloaded "MiniTool Partition Wizard 8" and I tried using that to get the files off but when it was finished the HD was no longer anywhere to be found (not in disk management, not in the Partition wizard program) and the HD starting making a clicking noise!

Do I have to take it to a professional and pay a lot of money now??

Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:46 AM

Man, I feel so sorry for you... 

Try GParted and try to clone the partition, but before you do that stick that sucker in the freezer for 24 Hours (IN A PLASTIC BAGGIE!!!!!!!) and then plug it back in and get the data as fast as you can off that thing (if you can).

I prefer Linux. Windows 10 is just to invasive for me.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:13 AM

Decent shot freezing it but work fast plug the cables i wrap it in a dry towel to hold the cold, I have gone as far using cold packs leaving the drive in plastic.  50/50 good luck!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:36 AM

I agree with the above posts, I have had a bit of luck with a few drives using the freezing trick. Freeze in a zip lock bag as posted above. Try to get important data first, make sure you know the location of that data as well so you can browse to it as fast as possible.

If it is vista or windows 7, the data is usually found here c:\users\"your user name" In windows xp here C:\documents and settings\"your user name"\

Under your user name there will be multiple folders such as documents, pictures etc.

I had one drive where I could get data for about 10 minutes after freezing it, then I would have to re-freeze to get more, it was slow going. Ice packs and towels or pillows can help keep the drive cold longer, just keep the drive in the plastic bag as much as possible to avoid condensation problems.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:21 AM

Do I have to take it to a professional and pay a lot of money now??

Only you can determine how much your data is worth.  If you decide to go the professional route I can recommend Kroll Ontrack  I will tell you I've never seen a bill for less than $1,000 and most are in the $1,500 range.  For that money you do get an external drive that is fully encrypted with your data on it.  I have only sent them one drive that they were unable to recover and that drive was dropped while running and fully encrypted with Microsoft's BitLocker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users