Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Burning Out Batties

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dog6611

dog6611

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:37 PM

HI,
So here is my story.

I own a Asus G53SX-NH71 Laptop and for the past year I have been buying new batteries only to have them die on me in about a month or so, forcing me to buy new ones.

Today my newest battery just died, which I have had since the 14th of February.

What is going on with my computer.
Is there any diagnostics I can do to see whats going on with my laptop.
I am currently powering it with the power supply

Please help me,
dog6611

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,734 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:39 AM

Your wakk charger would be the first place I would look, it is possible it is not putting out the correct voltage.  I doubt the laptop is the problem.

I just Googled you model, it seems that some others are having issues.  Go onto the Asus blogs/forums to see what is being said.

Edited by OldPhil, 03 March 2014 - 07:49 AM.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:26 PM

Are you buying genuine Asus batteries or the cheaper "knock offs"? I only buy geniune batteries for all laptops and usually do not have issues. If you post the exact model # from the battery here I can advise you on a genuine battery.

As oldPhil mentioned it would be worth checking the voltage of the power adapter to confirm it's output is correct. Usually they are between 19-20 volts. Any multimeter set to DC should work. The outside of the adapter end is usually negative or ground and the inside is positive. 

Are you always wearing the battery completely dead? This is not needed nor recommended, I recommend re-charging a L-ion battery before the computer shuts off from low power. If you wear a lithium Ion battery completely dead and let it sit for a few months without charging it can sometimes cause the battery to fail or go to sleep permanently. When the voltage of a L-ion battery falls too low it disables itself (low voltage is nearly as bad as over voltage with L-ion batteries). I once did this to a mac battery that was nearly new, I did not use it for about 6 months and the battery was toast, it never charged again.

I have heard you can use a boost charger to wake up certain sleeping L-ion batteries, though I would never try because these batteries can cause fire etc.

Edited by zingo156, 03 March 2014 - 03:46 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,734 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:32 PM

There is a possibility they got a bad batch of chargers, I threw that finding other posts on you model with similar issues.  Also do not run the LT on the charger with the battery removed, if the charger is out of tolerance it can damage the LT.

#5 dog6611

dog6611
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:38 PM

I am not using the genuine battery because its way out of my price range for a battery.  When you purchase it from Asus it's like $200 and I can't afford that.
And no im not letting the computer die before i charge it i usually charge around 20%.  I have had this battery since The 14th of February.  Not close to a month....

I have no idea how to test my charger...

All the batteries I find online are not from Asus.

I can't not run my computer, I have to use it daily for school :\

Please help me :(

Edited by dog6611, 03 March 2014 - 03:39 PM.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,734 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

I have bought a couple of batteries from this group all worked out Ok  https://www.batteries.com/laptop/

It is very important to follow the initial charging routine or the life is drastically reduced, read the instructions, you need it for school work so do the new charging thing on the weekend.  The batteries have computerized memory circuits!

Edited by OldPhil, 03 March 2014 - 04:10 PM.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

Here is a video of how to test your power adapter with a multi meter:

If you do not have a multimeter you can get them very cheap online, or take the power adapter to a local pc repair shop and they should be able to test it for you. (I always did this for free for customers though shops may vary). Can you post a link to the batteries you are buying? Are there any reviews of those batteries? If you do a lot of gaming on the laptop I would only recommend doing so with it plugged into the wall, gaming on just the battery alone can cause huge power draws that damage the battery. I have a helicopter that uses a L-ion battery and it does go through them very quickly due to the huge quick draw. (It only lasts about 3-5 minutes on a full charge). I probably get about 100 cycles out of a battery before it needs to be replaced. A normal laptop battery can usualy go a 1000 or more charge cycles under normal use. 1 cycle represents 1 full discharge from 100% charged and then charging back to 100%. My guess if the power adapter tests fine is that the cheap batteries are the problem. I only recommend buying genuine batteries because I have had nothing but problems with generic's. The price tag may be high but if your new batteries are only lasting a few months that can add up as well. How long did the original battery last?

Edited by zingo156, 03 March 2014 - 03:55 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,734 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

Curious how long your first battery lasted, if it died quickly that points to the charger.  On the very "slightest" chance the wrong charger may have been included in the packing, check not only what is stated on the charger as to voltage but also go on the LT makers site to see what it is suppose to be.

Edited by OldPhil, 03 March 2014 - 06:12 PM.

#9 dog6611

dog6611
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:39 PM

My first battery lasted about a year then after sending the laptop back to repair it died, i bought another one lasted about 4 months then every 2 months or less i buy a new one and end up getting a refund.

Here are some of the batteries I purchased:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2K90ZD2944

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1Y10NX8860

Edited by dog6611, 03 March 2014 - 08:00 PM.

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:41 AM

If you do not have the ability to test the power adapter, I would recommend taking the computer to the shop just to verify there is not a problem there. When you sent it in for repair the first time, what work was done? What part was replaced? It is possible something happened when it was sent in for repair.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users