Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with Win7 driver installation on Toshiba Satellite C55D-A5170

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 amyclaire1976

amyclaire1976

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:36 PM

My friend got a new laptop and didn't like Win 8 so she asked me to put Win 7 (64 bit) on it.  No problem, I thought, I've done this dozens and dozens of times (with Dell PCs at work).  Yeah right.  I'm stuck.  (Never dealt with AMD drivers before.)

So what I've got in Device Manager are 5 devices I've got to find drivers for (see image).  With Dell I always liked to start with ethernet and network controllers so I could then get on the internet and download the rest directly to the PC.  But I am not able to do that with the Toshiba.  I keep getting the error "The RealTek Network Adapter/Controller was not found.  If Deep Sleep Mode enabled Please Plug the Cable."  I troubleshooted this issue for about 3 hours to no resolve, but I came across something that said I needed to install the chipset first.  Which is where I get stuck.

I read that the AMD driver is a combination of the graphics and chipset, but I can't find a driver that works on the Toshiba website.  I downloaded and tried many but they won't execute.  So then I went to the AMD website and downloaded the Catalyst software and what I thought was the chipset/graphics driver.  But I can't figure out how to install this driver via the Catalyst.  It seems like you need an internet connection in order to install it.  Where am I going wrong here?

I've done a little desktop support, but I'm certainly no guru.  (So go easy on the criticism please - thanks so much!)

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:11 PM

For each of the devices with exclamation mark right click, select properties and under the details tab select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Provide the information shown.

original.jpg

#3 amyclaire1976

amyclaire1976
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:04 PM

Hi John C, thanks for your help.  Here is the info you requested:

Ethernet Controller:
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8136&SUBSYS_FF1E1179&REV_07
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8136&SUBSYS_FF1E1179
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8136&CC_020000
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8136&CC_0200

Network Controller:
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8179&SUBSYS_019110EC&REV_01
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8179&SUBSYS_019110EC
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8179&CC_028000
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8179&CC_0280

SM Bus Controller:
PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_780B&SUBSYS_FF1E1179&REV_3A
PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_780B&SUBSYS_FF1E1179
PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_780B&CC_0C0500
PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_780B&CC_0C05

Unknown Device:
ACPI\SMB0001
*SMB0001

USB2.0-CRW:
USB\VID_0BDA&PID_0129&REV_3960
USB\VID_0BDA&PID_0129

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:50 PM

For the ethernet controller download the driver second from the top of the page.

I need a little more time on the wireless and other drivers. Can you download CPU-Z and under the motherboard tab provide the chipset name?

Have you downloaded and installed the graphics drivers?

Edit: For the wireless driver, the only Windows 7 64bit driver I found with that vendor and device ID was actually from HP and was confirmed on the Toshiba Forum site. Even though the overview lists it as a Windows 8 driver, Win 7 64bit is supported.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 March 2014 - 09:04 PM.

#5 amyclaire1976

amyclaire1976
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:32 PM

Hi JohnC,

Fantastic!  The ethernet controller and the wireless drivers installed easily.  The Chipset is AMD ID1536.  No, I have not installed the graphics drivers yet.  (I read that they are included with the chipset?)

I just found the card reader and was able to install it.

Edited by amyclaire1976, 07 March 2014 - 10:47 PM.

#6 Atty.1973

Atty.1973

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:19 AM

Sounds like you're all set; I was going to suggest Toshiba Tech-Support since it's a new?? computer. I have a Toshiba A665 and when I first got started I found Toshiba Tech-Support helpful. There was no cost for the first year. Good luck!!

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:05 AM

That's great. Can you post the link for the card reader. If other people have the same problem of downgrading to Win7 64bit it will help.

Yes, AMD puts their chipset in the graphics driver. They also have a standalone chipset driver. I didn't know if you downloaded the graphics driver and still had an issue. I would go to the AMD autodetect page and download their stand-alone detect tool. (link right after bold print)

Note: I have never heard of the 1536 chipset before. Was it 1563? I was actually looking for a SBXXX number. Here is a list of all the AMD chipsets for your reference.

#8 ohyougottabekidding

ohyougottabekidding

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:52 AM

Toshiba's such as the rapidly cheapening C55's have official Toshi Win7 support pages in Europe.

Specifically for those fotherNucking missing Win7 drivers, this gets you to top of the front gate:

http://www.toshiba.eu/innovation/download_drivers_bios.jsp?service=EU&selCategory=2&selFamily=2&selSeries=312&selProduct=7937&selShortMod=3962&language=13&selOS=30&selType=all&yearupload=&monthupload=&dayupload=&useDate=null&mode=allMachines&search=&action=search&macId=&country=all&page=1

The difference is EU's nomenclature uses the OEM P/N PECGWE instead of USA's numerically escalating 5120, 5130, 5150 (the one that drives you to the edge of decisiveness).  The EU part number is always on the bottom sticker.

As officially unsupported for Windows 8.1 USA owners, the EU's twin cousin drivers page has language options but that only changes the subsequent links pages, Toshiba is great by packing all languages into the same extracting driver, Toshiba are dicks since packing all languages is painful if lack of drivers or being chid down in country desert means ISDN or AoL dial up to retrieve a 43mb WiFi driver inclusive of French Klingon and pharmacist Latin versions.

John and those like John are the damnest of the decent for finding drivers at other pages, all just as good as Toshi's, however the Microsoft Update Catalog hosts the entire portfolio of drivers for that cheap and lethal Satellite.

FWIW, for anyone migrating a Toshiba to different version of Windows w/o recovery discs,  your HW installs are less hassle if you start with Toshiba's ACPi System driver for stable integration with the rest of theirs or anyone else's info dashboards like Speccy which reported more and accurate temperature readings with the System driver then without. The SystemDriver implements HW Windows BlueTooth support for BTACPI ( tos/6205 ) that even today the undefeated widow maker of driver misunderstandings proudly resulting in corruption of the resf of your Windows build since 2002.

https://www.piriform.com/speccy

It's hard to screw up Windows drivers on Toshi's, it takes concerted effort and intentional avoidance of three sites to miss a Toshiba driver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users