Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloning and Installing Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Millie2015

Millie2015

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:46 PM

Help!!

The hard drive on my laptop crashed awhile ago. My brother-in-law told me to buy a new hard drive rather than a new laptop and he'd clone it for me, but now him and my sister broke up so........ I'm on my own. 

I looked the instructions up online and I'm so confused.

I have the laptop, the old hard drive still in the laptop, and the new hard drive.

How do I clone the old one? Do I go online with the old hard drive in the laptop and the hard drive gets cloned to "the cloud" or something? Or does the new hard drive need to be physically connected to the laptop when I do this? If so, how do I connect them? All the instructions I've been reading seem to be leaving out the most important parts. I'm so confused... Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:24 PM

You can clone a drive or partition by several methods.  Any number of programs support/accomplish cloning.

The one that I use involves installing a program (Macrium Reflect Free) and using it to clone the drive.

After clone is complete, I turn the system off, remove the old drive and connect the new one in its stead.  Purpose is to ensure that new drive is bootable.

Once I've verified that the new drive is bootable...and the BIOS boot order reflects it as first bootable device...I then attach the old drive as a xecondary storage drive, deleting entire previous Windows install from it and partitioning it to fit my storage desires.

What I do works for desktops...your laptop may be another matter, territory that I have not ventured into.

Laptop manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,933 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:41 PM

Upgrading a Laptop Hard Drive

Method One: While some laptops have the capability to swap out the optical drive and add another hard drive, it's not common, so you'll need to use an external USB hard drive, or potentially another PC with a shared folder, to save an image of the current drive. Once you've created the image, you can install the new drive, and then restore the image onto the new hard drive.

Method Two: Your other option is to install the new hard drive, use an external USB to SATA adapter to hook the old drive to the laptop, and then clone the drives that way. This eliminates the extra step of copying to a secondary device, but requires spending a little extra money for something you might not use very often—so you might want to borrow one from a geek friend that does PC repair (or just use the first method above)

Source of Quote And See instructions here

http://lifehacker.com/5517688/how-to-upgrade-your-tiny-hard-drive-to-a-spacious-new-one-and-keep-your-data-intact

USB 2.0 to ATA SATA IDE Cable HDD Cable Adapter

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-2-5-3-5-Hard-Drive-HDD-Adapter-/170670554084?pt=AU_CablesConnectors&hash=item27bcc1fbe4

I looked the instructions up online and I'm so confused.

Get a quote at a pc repair shop It shouldn't cost more than about 50 to 70 bucks.

Edited by NickAu1, 02 March 2014 - 08:01 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 Millie2015

Millie2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:52 PM

Thanks NickAU1,

That actually really helps. A friend just told me I'd have to buy an external hard drive and move the info from the old hard drive to the external to the new one, but the cable seems easier (and cheaper?)! 

My brother-in-law told me actually physically taking the old hard drive out will be hard, but I think I'm going to try anyways. Don't really have another option... Any tips?

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,933 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:19 PM

My brother-in-law told me actually physically taking the old hard drive out will be hard

Laptop details please, And no generally replacing the hard drive even in a laptop is not hard.

This Video shows how to do it on a HP laptop but basically it should be the same on any laptop.

VIDEO NOT MY WORK

http://youtu.be/650mXGa-kDY

A friend just told me I'd have to buy an external hard drive and move the info from the old hard drive to the external to the new one, but the cable seems easier (and cheaper?)!

Well yes..much cheaper, you already have a drive ( the new 1that you want to clone too ) all you need is the cable to connect it. The cable is what? $18 ?

How much is a new usb drive $ 50  -  $70 bucks

That cable will allow you to treat the new drive as an external usb drive.

This is for SSD but it wont matter the process is similar to what you want. Pay attention to how the lady connects the drive to the laptop, This is that cable for 18 bucks.

VIDEO NOT MY WORK--- YES it's this easy, When you are ready post a reply with what cloning software you will use eg Clonezilla and I will find you the youtube tutorial on how to do it, And it wont be any harder than this video.

http://youtu.be/_vRCgNylkOo

Edited by NickAu1, 02 March 2014 - 09:50 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#6 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:47 AM

Not sure if I saw this or not, but how can you clone a HD after it has crashed?  Or am I missing something?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:34 AM

FWIW:  http://www.whatsabyte.com/P1/HDD_Crash.html , ignore the advertising, the narrative is worth reading, IMO.

I've cloned a drive which was dysfunctional, so it can be done.  The only problem with such is that...if the drive is damaged, the clonec results may just be corrupted files.  You don't know until you try, IMO.

Then there is data-recovery software/methods that may be successful.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 March 2014 - 11:36 AM.

#8 Millie2015

Millie2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:39 PM

It's me again!

So, I still haven't done this but I'm about to buy the cable and just wanted to check that this cable http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-Converter-Optical-External/dp/B002OV1VJW will work for a Travel Star 2.5 inch Hard Drive SATA that I bought. I'm pretty sure it well, but I want to make sure. 

Thanks so much for all of the brilliant detailed responses!

#9 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:47 PM

Not sure if I saw this or not, but how can you clone a HD after it has crashed?  Or am I missing something?

Yes i was thinking the same, if the computer has fried no worries mate but if the HDD had gone and deosnt spin then you out of luck mate.

#10 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:46 AM

It's me again!

So, I still haven't done this but I'm about to buy the cable and just wanted to check that this cable http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-Converter-Optical-External/dp/B002OV1VJW will work for a Travel Star 2.5 inch Hard Drive SATA that I bought. I'm pretty sure it well, but I want to make sure. 

Hi

That Adapter should work but I'll pas along my experience when I bought one of the SATA/USB Adapter Cables.  It wasn't the item in your link but one that was similar.  It was a SATA/USB 3.0 Adapter (no IDE or molex power adapters).

I tried to use the cable for cloning and imaging on 2 PC's with my 2 main cloning/imaging tools, Acronis (2011 paid ver) and Macrium Reflect (free ver).

The Adapter Cable wasn't recognized by either boot media.  I tried the usual things, restarting, etc, but was unable to get either of my PC's to recognize a HDD attached to the cable.

I had another 2.5 Enclosure that I had been using for a couple of years to clone my Laptop PC.  I checked that one again to verify that I wasn't having an issue with my Laptop's USB port with the Adapter Cable.  My old Enclosure worked ok with both bootable media (Acronis / Macrium). 

I knew, for reasons unknown, that the Adapter Cable wouldn't work on my PC's so I returned it to Amazon and bought another Enclosure that I could use with either 2.5 or 3.5 Sata HDD's.

The Enclosure is working good.  I've cloned my Desktop and Laptop PC's several times without problems. 

The one that I bought now appears to be available only from higher-priced "sellers" at Amazon here  but another one that's inexpensive at Amazon is here  .

This assumes that the HDD's are all Sata HDD's (no IDE adapters with these Enclosures).

I'm using my Enclosure as an "open-air" adapter without the actual enclosure case since I'm not using it for a daily external data backup device.  When I clone or image, I just place it on my non-conductive desk while the process is running.  It's more thermally efficient that way too, without the cover installed.

I did some searching around about Adapter Cables and read at a couple of blogs elsewhere where some have encountered problems with some of the Adapter Cable models with the cable not being recognized with their PC's.  The comments mentioned something about Enclosures being standardized by manufacturers, although being essentially the same as Adapter Cables, will work without encountering device-recognition issues with some PC's.

I don't know if that information is accurate about industry standardization being present with Enclosures vs Cable Adapters but I've not had any problems with 2 separate Enclosures whereas I had problems with the one Adapter Cable that I tried to use with my PC's.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,287 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:03 AM

It's me again!

That adapter should work on the 2.5 drive. If you ever plan on using it on a 3.5 drive though it will not work. You need a included power brick for a 3.5 drive because the power from the USB port is not enough. For both 2.5 and 3.5 drives you would need something like this. I have used this and have not had a problem with it except for one drive.

If ordering from Amazon it would be this one.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 April 2014 - 09:04 AM.

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:28 PM

I would like to see his explanation of the crash, what exactly happened?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#13 beeper54

beeper54

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:19 AM

On the note of cloning, WinHex is a great tool for cloning and other hard disk operations - Linky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users