Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When Starting Up Computer In Morning I Can't Login

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 billb1970

billb1970

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:38 PM

On Tuesday 2/24/14 I bought a refurbished Lenovo M57/6075 computer with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. The operating system was just put on the computer on Monday. I have been having problems everyday not able to login to Windows 7 login screen. The keyboard and mouse don't function. The first day I brought it home and hooked it up the computer received 146 Windows updates. I did run a restore point before the updates were installed. When I checked my computer the next day I couldn't sign into the Windows login screen or Safe Mode login screen. The keyboard and mouse weren't functioning. Somehow I was able to get Windows Launch Repair to come up and I selected System Restore. On all occasions I had to use run System Recovery from my Windows 7 disk and select Startup Repair so I could login. Each time the log file shows it didn't find any errors. First I thought it was the Windows Updates. I don't know what the problem is, but I am sure it isn't the Windows Updates. Once the computer gets into Windows 7 environment it works fine all day. There is one other thing I found. When you first start it up the CPU fan starts first then 5 to 10 seconds later the system fan starts. I don't know if this is normal operation.

I haven' found anything on the Internet that will give me a clue what is wrong. Please help me. 

Bill

Mod edit: moved from Windows Startup Programs Database
to Win 7
~~ boopme

Edited by boopme, 02 March 2014 - 09:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 billb1970

billb1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:52 PM

When the computer has to be reset a due to Windows Update or from installing a program, I am able to login.

Both keyboard and mouse are using PS2 to USB connectors.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:57 PM

The keyboard and mouse don't function.

Can you try ps2 to ps2 ?? If the pc has ps2 ports? sounds like a driver issue and or the pc not recognising the ps2 to usb at boot up.

Edited by NickAu1, 05 March 2014 - 11:05 PM.

#4 billb1970

billb1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:14 PM

I don't have a ps2 mouse and ps2 keyboard. They are both USB.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,728 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:22 PM

PS2 to USB connectors.

usb to ps2

21oatr5.jpg

2uetkar.jpg

ps2 to usb

2w6i9o2.jpg

9u6o3p.jpg

my bad.

Edited by NickAu1, 05 March 2014 - 11:31 PM.

#6 billb1970

billb1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:00 AM

I meant USB to PS2 connector. Green and Purple,

21oatr5.jpg

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,728 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:12 AM

ok thank you.

Edited by NickAu1, 06 March 2014 - 01:15 AM.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:14 PM

I would be inclined to contact your supplier if your purchase date of the 24th February 2014 is correct - even with refurbished or ex-lease equipment you normally get at least 30 days warranty.

It is also entirely possible that one of these 162 updates you mention has caused the problem. Whenever a new operating system is installed on a computer from an image or from a disc, you will have all the updates to do from the time the image or disc was created. The last time I did a full Win 7 re-install, it was actually done using the recovery partition, I lost count at 240 updates.

I am curious about why you are using PS2 adapters on a USB mouse and keyboard, or have you run out of USB slots on the motherboard ?  USB extension boards are pretty cheap and will normally give you four more ports.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 billb1970

billb1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:32 PM

I bought my computer from the UW Swap. They get there items from the UW system and when you purchase something from them you can't return it.

When I first hooked up the computer I tried using the USB ports for the keyboard and mouse. That didn't work so I tried the USB to PS2 connectors. I didn't see a setting that you could set so you could use USB setup for keyboard mouse. Do you disable the PS2 and enable Legacy Free, I read the information on Legacy Free, I don't think that is it. 

Bill

#10 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:26 AM

Usually you just plug in your mouse and keyboard to the appropiate USB slots, these usually only work after the windows splash screen because of some drivers not being loaded before that, altough some do work right off the bat i ran off into a computer where i had to plug in a PS2 keyboard in order to start XP in safe mode lol

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#11 billb1970

billb1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:49 AM

I haven't tried it with just my USB keyboard and mouse. I will try it and let you know.

Thanks for everyones help

Bill

#12 billb1970

billb1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:14 AM

The computer does detect my USB keyboard and mouse. Things seem to working fine. For now this is solved. 

Thank you for your help.

Bill   :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users