Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

If someone knows your IP address, can they hck you?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:44 AM

hello, hello

if someone knows your IP address, can they hck you?
i am trying to secure my computer/network

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:54 AM

in a word... no.

edit: unless you have no security features running at all.

Edited by TsVk!, 02 March 2014 - 05:01 AM.

#3 ProfessorCPU

ProfessorCPU

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:00 AM

very unlikely.  There are many more factors they need to be able to hack you.  Like open ports and usually some sort of virus or utility installed and running on your machine to give them access.  When you connect to a public network make sure you select that you are on a public network as well.  Since then any files you have shared out will not be visible on that network.

Also... are you someone a hacker would even want to waste their time hacking?  Your not bill gates or the ceo of walmart or something are you?

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:18 AM

Your ISP assigned IP address is your identity on the internet. If someone (who has time, will power and skills to hack you) knows your IP address, then they might try. They may become successful or fail in their attempts depending on how secure your system is.

If you have a firewall, antivirus and updated OS, then there is no possiblity of someone hacking you. As Professor CPU has pointed out, professional hackers who can actually hack you, simply do not have time or reason to do so.

#5 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:09 AM

Hi,
ey
it also helps to know that your IP is not a permanent thing in most cases, you get it attributed by your ISP. If you disconnect and reconnect from your ISP they will assign you a new IP and your hacker will no longer know what IP is yours. Therefore he will not be able to trace you anymore.

There's almost no risk of being hacked by an individual if you're just using a normal PC & Internet connection.

regards
myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:32 PM

Some background infor on IP addresses for your edification.

An IP address (Internet Protocol address) is a unique address used to identify a computer and communicate with other computers. Computers can use static or dynamic (DHCP) IP addresses. A static IP address is a number assigned to a computer by an Internet service provider (ISP) and intended to be its permanent (fixed) address on the Internet, thus, it will not change. If you don't know whether your IP address is static or dynamic, then it is probably dynamic.

Since there are not enough IP numbers for each computer, many ISPs and DHCP Servers limit the number of static IP addresses they assign by utilizing a pool of IP addresses instead. The ISP will temporarily assign a dynamic IP address automatically to a requesting Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol computer from this pool of addresses and it will change each time you connect to the Internet. When you disconnect from the Internet, the temporary dynamic IP address is returned to the IP address pool so it can be assigned to someone else. When you reconnect, you are then assigned a different dynamic IP address from those available in the pool.

To view your IP address:
Press the WINKEY + R keys on your keyboard or click Start > Run... and in the Open dialog box, type: cmd
press Enter.

If using Vista/Windows 7/8, click the Start Orb and in the Search box, type: cmd
Right-click on cmd.exe and select Run As Administrator or use Ctrl+Shift+Enter.
Click Yes if prompted by the User Account Control.

At the command prompt C:\>_, type: ipconfig
press Enter.

If you have a Private IP Address, it most likely will start with 192.168...

Private IP Address ranges are:
10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

You can also go to various sites to check your IP address:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:09 PM

hello, hello

if someone knows your IP address, can they hack you?
i am trying to secure my computer/network

thanks

In a word... YES. If they found the SilkRoad server with firewall, antivirus, updated OS, hiding its real IP with TOR hidden service - then knowing your WAN ISP IP, it come to "professional hackers who can actually hack you, simply do not have a reason to do so. FBI shuts alleged online drug marketplace, Silk Road. http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/02/us-crime-silkroad-raid-idUSBRE9910TR20131002

E-book Digital_Evidence and Computer_Crime.pdf REMOVED for breaching Bleeping Computers rule, "that states that copyrighted material cannot be posted or shared."

Edited by Crazy Cat, 03 March 2014 - 05:36 PM.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#8 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:48 AM

howdy, TsVk!, its good to see you again.
How ya been?

wow -- if you have no security they can -- with your IP?
whoa. have to make sure to always run my security program.
just the other day i was trying to install my printer and the 
"supposed" technician, as in not that smart, recommended that i turn off my firewall and all security programs so that i could install the software:
as a solution to the problem that i was having.

and i said:
"WHAT!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?"

"no, that is what i recommended for you to do."
[to solve this technical issue]

and then when you have a problem with your computer and they want to fix it, they want you to post a file that, among other things, lists your IP address!
wow, i', real glad i didn't do that one!

:cherry: ProfessorCPU hi there, its nice to make your acquaintance,
welcome.

i was referring to if you didn't have any viruses or malware.
but that printer software didn't pass the windows logo test.
and i said to the technician: "if this is a legitamate company, why does it not pass the windows logo test?"

i wasn't smart enough before about the public and trusted selection.
but if you select a specific web site as "trusted", do they then have access to your computer and all your files without you knowing?

i have had some unusal things happen to my computer.
for instance, more recently, someone on the same network as me got their identity stolen several days after i noticed my computer exibiting some strange behavior.
and since then, my security program keeps switching off its identity protection feature by itself. that is really strange.

i don't want to leave myself open to attack. its outrageous nowdays that some web sites and some jobs that you apply for don't have encrypted screens when you enter your personal information. i don't want to become a victim. i just want to secure my network and live in peace. not rest in peace, now my computer is dead: you ever heard of the chinese virus?

Romeo29, glad to meet you.

"depending on how secure your system is."
that's why i want to secure my system.

hi myrti, how is you?

dang, you really solved the problem here.
i guess i really don't have anymore questions now.
that just about sums it up.

that's good to know.
i didn't know that.

thanks quietman7,

for all the additional information --
that really touches up on all the extra things about ip that i didn't know about.

:cowboy: hi Crazy Cat, how you doing bro?

okay, so they could do it, but they have to be REALLY good.
which is next to unlikely that it will happen, since there are so few of them.

thanks Crazy Cat.

SECURITY

#9 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:03 PM

@CrazyCat

Hacking of silk road servers is not confirmed by FBI or US governement.

#10 ToxicUlcer

ToxicUlcer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:50 PM

very unlikely.  There are many more factors they need to be able to hack you.  Like open ports and usually some sort of virus or utility installed and running on your machine to give them access.  When you connect to a public network make sure you select that you are on a public network as well.  Since then any files you have shared out will not be visible on that network.

Also... are you someone a hacker would even want to waste their time hacking?  Your not bill gates or the ceo of walmart or something are you?

My debit card credentials have been compromised twice in the last five years.  Minor inconvenience for me.  Makes me ROTFLMFAO though - I'm really the wrong person to hijack a debit card or credit card for.  I'm pretty well dead broke and out of credit. Out of hundreds of online transactions over the years, that's an acceptable risk for me.  I didn't lose any cash either time because the bank's security monitoring software saw the suspicious activity and notified me. 

No one has ever "hacked into" any of my computers in the last twenty years.  However, I HAVE shot myself in BOTH feet a few times.  Spent a few weekends reformatting and reloading. 

Stay on the main roads, avoid dark back alleys and bad neighborhoods.  Don't hang around with drug dealers or pimps.  There is no such thing as "free".  There is ALWAYS a catch.  No, you don't need those animated smileys, or that Zwinky, or that sparkly text, or those free games. 

Boring = Safe, Exciting = Not Safe.

#11 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:21 PM

If someone wants access to your data, they will get it.  Social Engineering is the most common method used and takes advantage of the weakest link in the security chain, humans.  Your IP address is probably one of the last things someone wanting to hack you would try.

The easiest way to secure your IP address is to use a NAT router with UPNP turned off.  A NAT router will drop all non-requested incoming traffic and turning off UPNP will prevent opening ports on your router that you are not aware of being open.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:13 PM

If someone wants access to your data, they will get it.

And if they have enough tech savy, I doubt the average person can stop them.

#13 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:29 PM

@CrazyCat

I can assure you it was, not further info sorry.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:05 PM

@CrazyCat

I can assure you it was, not further info sorry.

I guess if you have the power of the US govt. intelligence agencies machines, and their array of uberhackers at your disposal, you can break into any machine connected to the net.

As to someone targeting your machine just by its IP address... Unlikely,... and that's giving the possibility too much credit.

(you didn't use your credit card when you bought that ton of fertilizer I hope)

Edited by TsVk!, 03 March 2014 - 06:06 PM.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:16 PM

I guess if you have the power of the US govt. intelligence agencies machines, and their array of uberhackers at your disposal, you can break into any machine connected to the net.

Yes and that information is finally being brought into the sunlight for all to see...but that's the subject of a whole another topic elsewhere on this site.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users