Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Spontaneously Reboots

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Hendry

Hendry

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 14 May 2006 - 02:00 PM

I run Microsoft XP Home Edition, SP2. I have TrendMicro PC-cillin virus software. Also have Spybot-Search and Destroy, AdAware SE Personal, SpywareBlaster, Spyware Guard, and Windows Defender. Over the last several days, my computer began to reboot spontaneously, sometimes while I was using it and sometimes while sitting idle.I updated and ran all the antispyware programs and found no infections. I attempted to run a manual scan with PC-cillin. Partway thru the scan, the computer rebooted. I went to the TrendMicro Housecall site and tried to scan using the on-line version with the same result.I tried virus scans using BitDefender Online Scanner, F-Secure Online Virus Scanner, and Panda ActiveScan. All scans would start and after varying times(less than 2-3 minutes), the computer would reboot.Since I cannot seem to be able to verify the presence of a virus, what should I do? Should I submit a HiJack This file? I await instructions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 14 May 2006 - 03:00 PM

The symptom you describe could be related to overheating or other hardware problems. However, there are same malware types (i.e.Sasser & Blaster worms) which can cause this as well.

Download and scan with MS Malicious Software Removal Tool.
The tool allows three type of scan options:
1. Quick scan. Scans areas of the system most likely to contain malicious software. If malicious software is found, you may be prompted to run a full scan.

2. Full scan. Scans the entire system. Note that this scan can take up to several hours on some computers.

3. Customized scan. In addition to a quick scan, the tool will also scan the contents of a user-specified folder.

Choose quick scan first. It you can complete the scan without a reboot, then do a full scan.

If a virus/worm is found and removed, try running the online virus scan again.

Another alternative tool to use is vcleaner. After, download, restart your computer in "SAFE MODE" and run the remover.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 04:08 PM

As quietman7 says, this may also be hardware related. Usually when XP automatically reboots it is because Windows recieved an error. We need to make a change to a setting on your computer so we can find out exactly what the error is.

Go to:
Start > right click My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery Settings
and uncheck Automatically Restart. Now when Windows receives an error it will show you a blue screen.

Blue screens are often called 'Blue Screens of Death' (or BSOD) by users, and 'Stop Messages' by Microsoft. We need to know the exact message you see when you get the blue screen. We especially are looking for a set of letters and numbers about half way down the page that take this format:

0x0000008e

This is usually followed by a set of 4 simliar numbers in parenthasis. For now we just need the first set of letter and numbers (before the numbers in the parenthasis).

This will help you diagnose why you are getting the stop messages.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 Hendry

Hendry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 08:35 PM

quietmanZ
MS MALICIOUS SOFTWARE REMOVAL TOOL: Ran quick scan successfully. No infections. Attempted to run complete scan. computer rebooted. VCLEANER: Attempted scan. Computer rebooted.
Albert
Went thru procedure to uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART. Ran PC-Cillin scan. Scan ran with no problem. Ran scans with MS MALICIOUS SOFTWARE REMOVAL TOOL(complete scan) and Panda ActiveScan. Both scans ran to completion. No virus was found by any of the software. Rechecked AUTOMATICALLY RESTART. Attempted to run scan with PC-Cillil. Computer rebooted. Unchecked AUTOMATICALLY RESTART. Attempted scan with PC-Cillin. Scan ran with no problem. I am totally confused. It appears that the error only occurs with AUTOMATICALLY RESTART checked. I will continue to operate with AUTOMATICALLY RESTART unchecked. If I get a blue screen, I will post the error code along with the operating circumstances. Any other suggestions/advice?

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 06:24 AM

Yes, good idea to leave it UNchecked.

Go to:

Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > System

Look for ERRORS. Double click on them and look for explanations, especially Event ID's. Let us know what you find.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#6 Hendry

Hendry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 10:04 AM

These are from event logs for 14 May. I found three events, not designated as errors, which state: winlogon.exe has initiated the restart of the computer for the following reason.No title for this reason could be found. Shutdown type: reboot. I found a number of instances with error reports in pairs followed immediately with a report(nonerror) of a reboot. The reports state: AMLI:APCI BIOS is attempting to read fron an illegal IO port address (Oxcf8) which lies in Oxcf8-Oxcff protected range.This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance. This is immediately followed by an identical error report except that "read from" is replaced by "write to". The immediately following nonerror report states: This computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000000(0x-------). The initial number in the code was:0x00000001(once), 0x000000c2(once), 0x10000050(six times). I hope that this is of some value.

#7 Hendry

Hendry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 01:24 PM

Just experienced a spontaneous shutdown (blue screen) while computer was idle (screensaver on). First number in code was 0x00000001. The event viewer showed the pattern of two errors followed by the nonerror report as described in the prior post. i,e. identical wording.

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 02:15 PM

Ok, the blue screen stop error message will help. But can you look for an Event ID # for the others? I might be something like:

Event ID: 1003

Also let us know if you get any other blue screens. It will be important to know if you continue to get the exact same errors, or perhaps different ones.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#9 Hendry

Hendry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 03:31 PM

I searched the event viewer for system errors. I found four examples of the back-to-back AMLI:APCI BIOS "read from-write to" errors listed for 15 May. The "read from" errors have Event ID 4, and the "write to" errors have Event ID 5. Will post information on any blue screens that occur.

#10 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 04:42 PM

4=The system can't read the file.
5=Access is denied.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#11 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 04:47 PM

If there are two pieces of RAM you could always remove one and see if this issue persists. If it does, swap the pieces and try again. This would identify which piece of RAM is defective, if any.

I suggest you test the memory:

Microsoft Memory Diagnostic
Memtest86
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#12 Hendry

Hendry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:50 PM

Downloaded and ran Microsoft Memory Diagnostic..
Results:
MATS+ succeed
INVC fail
LRAND fail
STRIDE6 fail
DIMM 1__64 errors.
DIMM 2__1 errors
Probably Dimm 1 is the problem? Agree?

#13 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 10:30 PM

Looks like they both have issues to me. Take #1 out and test again.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 15 May 2006 - 10:31 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#14 Hendry

Hendry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:42 AM

Took Dimm 1 out. Retested. Dimm 2 tested bad. Replaced both Dimms. Tetested. All test seccessful: no errors. Computer back up and running. Will wait and see how things go. Will post again only if blue screen reoccurs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users