Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Can I Delete?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 U R Insan3

U R Insan3

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 14 May 2006 - 01:59 PM

I've been running the disk defrag here and there and it found some files that were 1gig each. So I figured I should get rid of those, but i wanted to make sure what was okay to delete.

C:\Documents and Settings\*username here*\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Is Anything in that folder okay to delete? There is a subfolder of Content.IE5

Also C:\Documents and Settings\*username here*\Local Settings\Temp

and two more..

C:\Downloads
and
C:\Temp

I just wanted to make sure what was okay to delete. Please be as specific as possible, meaning if I can just highlight everything in those folders and delete them, or only delete specific things.

Running a Dell Dimension 4550 with Windows XP if that helps.

Thanks! :thumbsup:
-TJB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 14 May 2006 - 03:31 PM

A good rule of thumb is to save anything of value that you have in those temp folders first. Then you may have to boot into safe mode to get them cleaned out.

You could just download and install a program called CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) by clicking HERE.

The download link is in on the upper right hand corner of the page, "Download Latest Version". Save to your desktop. After download is complete, go to your desktop and double click ccsetup to start the installation. During the set up you will be presented a page called Install Options. UNcheck everything except Add Desktop Shortcut. Installation of CCleaner will now finish and you should now have a CCleaner icon on your desktop. Double click the icon to run the program. It will clean out your temp folders for you, but, again, you may need to run it while in safe mode.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 03:59 PM

I always delete everything in the temp folder that isn't currently in use. From Safe Mode, it's easier since Windows isn't using so much. But first I open Tools -> Folder Options and make sure I can see everything by showing hidden files and folders as well as protected operating system files. (Say yes to the warning.) Then, open the temp folder by going to Start -> Run and type %temp% <- that's a variable that takes you right to the folder. Go to Edit, select all. Press the Delete key. Windows will ask if you want to delete (X amount) of files, click yes. It will begin deleting and suddenly will stop with a "Windows cannot delete this file" message. The next message in line will be the one it's talking about, so hold down the control key and deselect it. Repeat this as many times as necessary to get rid of the files that will delete. You should be left with a few or maybe a half-dozen files that are in use. Unless they appear to be malware, it's fine to leave them there. They might be something from a printer or Zone Alarm or some other program that needs them to function.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 04:47 PM

A quick and easy way is to run Windows Disk Cleanup which is found in the accessories file under utilities.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 U R Insan3

U R Insan3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 08:44 PM

Albert, what is considered "anything of value?" everything in the temporary files is just things that programs created but don't need anymore corect? also, running CCleaner won't get rid of anything that I would need would it?
-TJB

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 10:26 AM

Albert, what is considered "anything of value?"

I only put that in there as a precaution. I don't know what is on your computer, or where you have stored your data. I have seen people store their important data in all the 'wrong' places before! :thumbsup:
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 11:30 AM

Unless an application at least has the option to REVIEW candidates for deletion and allows you a option whether to remove each file or not, do not use it, for the very reason AF has given. Applications such as this work on several principles: users NEVER misfile, and anything in certain folders in average computers should be deleted; but on the contrary, each computer (and user) is slightly different, just like snowflakes.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 U R Insan3

U R Insan3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 02:55 PM

Wow, thanks guys. I found out I need to run CCleaner on each user to get rid of all the temporary files. So far freed up 4gigs! And that's only from 2 users, 2 to go :-). Haven't even hit my own account yet haha.

Thanks Again.
-TJB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users