Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repeated Failed SFC Results

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 BearPup

BearPup

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:22 AM

Hello All,
I was having trouble installing some new programs that I know were valid programs. So as a diagnostic I ran SFC /scannow and got the dreaded, "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.".

Is there anything I can do besides doing a repair or full (re-)install of Windows? And is there anything that one can do to prevent this type of situation?

An update:
I replaced the C:\drive with a brand new WD Blue Caviar 250 GB drive; reinstalled Windows 7 from a known good System DVD, reloaded all my programs, and installed the USB printer. Then all of a sudden I started having problems installing programs again, ran SFC and again got 'corrupt files found / can't repair them'.

I'm running Win 7, SP 1, Home Premium, x64. I run CCleaner on the Registry, use Wise Disk Cleaner to clean the drives, and both are set conservatively. For antivirus, malware and the rest I use AVG Internet Security 2014, which is there flagship product. I also use PrivateFirewall as my firewall, and run Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware sporadically. Everything consistently comes back clean, and for that matter my browsing habits are conservative and I rarely run into warnings, whether from downloads or sites (warnings coming from either the antivirus program, Web Of Trust, or my startup guards).

As for hardware, the motherboard was replaced about a year ago (old one gave up the ghost after 3 years), as was the printer, the monitor is less than 6 months old, and now the new hard drive. And no, I didn't replace the cable when  I replaced the drive believing that if the cable has a fault, the drive wouldn't be recognized or load properly. I did check that the cables were seated properly on the drive and the motherboard. For that matter, files transfer fine, I did massive copies from my backup drive to the new C:\drive and all went without a hitch. In fact, if it weren't for the trouble in installing some programs, I wouldn't know or suspect anything wrong.

I've also run HardInfo 7, and it reports everything is OK and on the 'higher' side of specs.

Any and all help greatly appreciated.
Regards,
BearPup

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:23 AM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer Community BearPup.

While waiting for further inputs or suggestions, please post the sfc details next time or see this  link including the programs you were trying to install.

Download MiniToolBox and run the program. Select
List Last 10 Event Viewers, List Installed Programs and List Users, Partitions and Memory Size then click Go.
A notepad will open then copy-paste the report on your next reply.

Tekken

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:00 AM

<< I run CCleaner on the Registry, use Wise Disk Cleaner to clean the drives...>>

Louis

#4 BearPup

BearPup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

Hello Louis,

Thank you for responding, though I don't understand what your response is intended to mean. If you would post back here with what you are conveying I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Regards,

BearPup

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

I see that you don't have Windows Updates configured.  You should at the very least allow Windows to check for updates but let me choose whether to allow them to download and install them.  There are security updates which are important, I wouldn't just turn off all updates and ignore them.

I'm sure what Hamluis had intended to include in his post was that Bleeping Computer does not endorse the use of registry cleaners or optimizers.

Cedit for this goes to Quietman7

The following was originally posted by Animal, one of our Site Administrators.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in unpredictable results.

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Edited by dc3, 02 March 2014 - 12:02 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 BearPup

BearPup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:17 PM

@Arachibutyrophobia I'm well aware of the usual caveat when it cmes to Registry anything. I'm also aware of CCleaner's reputation for safety, including my configuration which asks me if I want to make a backup of the Registry before it even analyizes the Registry, let alone makes any changes to it. And I always answer 'yes'.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:32 PM

@Arachibutyrophobia I'm well aware of the usual caveat when it cmes to Registry anything. I'm also aware of CCleaner's reputation for safety, including my configuration which asks me if I want to make a backup of the Registry before it even analyizes the Registry, let alone makes any changes to it. And I always answer 'yes'.

You need to address this to Hamluis, I was only filling in the blanks. :thumbup2:

Just for the record, one of the reason that we go to the extent of explaining these dangers is because there are a great deal of others that are unaware of the inherent dangers of using this type of program without fully understanding its use.

dc3

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:57 PM

FWIW:  As Dan noted...we consider it our responsibility to provide information to members with problems...problems which some of us have seen multiple times and which normally result from standard procedures used by OPs.

It's your system...you can do with it whatever you want to do.

My statement was meant to remind those attempting to assist you...that you stated that you commonly do two things which we have seen to cause problems in systems that were otherwise fine...nothing more, nothing less.

You say that you replaced the hard drive, a logical suspect when SFC has problems, with a new hard drive.  IMO, that should have relieved the hard drive of all suspicion.  That doesn't leave much other than hardware, your install media, and whatever you do after the initial Windows setup/install.  You seem to have checked some aspects of hardware to the point of eliminating those from consideration.

That's where we are right now...you say it's not hardware and that's all that I can surmise from what you've posted thus far.  It may be helpful if you provide the data originally requested by jhayz as he attempts to assist you.

Louis

#9 BearPup

BearPup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:51 PM

@jhayz: Here is the Results.txt as requested. I would add this note:  this log was created immediately after I had completed the Repair Install, but prior to the Windows Update to update the system to a 2014 state. Immediately after I'm done posting this I will start on the Windows Update process.

Thanks very much for your efforts on this.

Regards,

BearPup

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version: 23-01-2014
Ran by BearPup (administrator) on 02-03-2014 at 14:42:46
Running from "C:\__PROGRAMS\System Backup"
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium  Service Pack 1 (X64)
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Event log errors: ===============================

Application errors:
==================
Error: (03/02/2014 02:28:43 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )
Description: Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cab> with error: A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Error: (03/02/2014 02:28:17 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )
Description: Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cab> with error: A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Error: (03/02/2014 02:28:10 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )

Error: (03/02/2014 02:28:09 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )

Error: (03/02/2014 02:27:00 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )

Error: (03/02/2014 02:14:37 PM) (Source: WinMgmt) (User: )
Description: //./root/CIMV2SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 990x80041003

Error: (03/02/2014 01:58:52 PM) (Source: ESENT) (User: )
Description: WinMail (4004) WindowsMail0: The backup has been stopped because it was halted by the client or the connection with the client failed.

Error: (03/02/2014 01:58:12 PM) (Source: ESENT) (User: )
Description: WinMail (3780) WindowsMail0: The backup has been stopped because it was halted by the client or the connection with the client failed.

Error: (03/02/2014 01:55:20 PM) (Source: WinMgmt) (User: )
Description: //./root/CIMV2SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 990x80041003

Error: (03/02/2014 01:52:21 PM) (Source: System Restore) (User: )
Description: Failed to create restore point (Process = C:\Windows\servicing\TrustedInstaller.exe; Description = Windows Modules Installer; Error = 0x80042318).

System errors:
=============
Error: (03/02/2014 02:14:44 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
Avgldx64
pwipf6

Error: (03/02/2014 02:14:44 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The LiveUpdate service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).

Error: (03/02/2014 02:12:28 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The AVGIDSAgent service terminated with service-specific error %%-536753637.

Error: (03/02/2014 02:11:47 PM) (Source: EventLog) (User: )
Description: The previous system shutdown at 2:10:29 PM on ?3/?2/?2014 was unexpected.

Error: (03/02/2014 01:58:10 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The LiveUpdate service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).

Error: (03/02/2014 01:55:15 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
Avgldx64
pwipf6

Error: (03/02/2014 01:54:56 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The AVGIDSAgent service terminated with service-specific error %%-536753637.

Error: (03/02/2014 01:50:56 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The Windows Time service terminated with the following error:
%%2

Error: (03/02/2014 01:49:10 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The Computer Browser service depends on the Workstation service which failed to start because of the following error:
%%1058

Error: (03/02/2014 01:49:10 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The Computer Browser service depends on the Workstation service which failed to start because of the following error:
%%1058

Microsoft Office Sessions:
=========================
Error: (03/02/2014 02:28:43 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2)(User: )
Description: http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cabA required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Error: (03/02/2014 02:28:17 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2)(User: )
Description: http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cabA required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Error: (03/02/2014 02:28:10 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2)(User: )

Error: (03/02/2014 02:28:09 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2)(User: )

Error: (03/02/2014 02:27:00 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2)(User: )

Error: (03/02/2014 02:14:37 PM) (Source: WinMgmt)(User: )

Error: (03/02/2014 01:58:52 PM) (Source: ESENT)(User: )
Description: WinMail4004WindowsMail0:

Error: (03/02/2014 01:58:12 PM) (Source: ESENT)(User: )
Description: WinMail3780WindowsMail0:

Error: (03/02/2014 01:55:20 PM) (Source: WinMgmt)(User: )

Error: (03/02/2014 01:52:21 PM) (Source: System Restore)(User: )
Description: C:\Windows\servicing\TrustedInstaller.exeWindows Modules Installer0x80042318

=========================== Installed Programs ============================

360Amigo System Speedup PRO (Version: 1.2.1.8200)
7-Data Recovery Suite version 2.3 (Version: 2.3)
Adobe Bridge 1.0 (Version: 001.000.000)
Adobe Common File Installer (Version: 1.00.0000)
Adobe Flash Player 12 ActiveX (Version: 12.0.0.70)
Adobe Flash Player 12 Plugin (Version: 12.0.0.70)
Adobe Help Center 1.0 (Version: 001.000.000)
Adobe Photoshop CS2 (Version: 9.0)
Adobe Stock Photos 1.0 (Version: 001.000.000)
AMD Accelerated Video Transcoding (Version: 13.20.100.31206)
AMD Catalyst Control Center (Version: 2013.1206.1603.28764)
AMD Catalyst Install Manager (Version: 8.0.915.0)
AMD Drag and Drop Transcoding (Version: 2.00.0000)
AMD Fuel (Version: 2013.1206.1603.28764)
AMD Media Foundation Decoders (Version: 1.0.81206.1620)
AMD Wireless Display v3.0 (Version: 1.0.0.14)
AntiLogger
AntiLogger (Version: 1.9.3.514)
AOMEI Partition Assistant Pro Edition 5.5
Ashampoo Office 2010 (Version: 10.0.584)
AVG 2014 (Version: 14.0.3705)
AVG 2014 (Version: 14.0.4335)
AVG 2014 (Version: 2014.0.4335)
BackRex Internet Explorer Backup (Version: 2.8)
BenVista PhotoZoom Express 4.0.2 (Version: 4.0.2)
Browser Configuration Utility (Version: 1.1.11.0)
CadStd (Version: 3.7.5)
Caps Lock Changer 1.0 (Version: 1.0)
Catalyst Control Center - Branding (Version: 1.00.0000)
Catalyst Control Center Graphics Previews Common (Version: 2013.1206.1603.28764)
Catalyst Control Center InstallProxy (Version: 2013.1206.1603.28764)
Catalyst Control Center Localization All (Version: 2013.1206.1603.28764)
CCC Help Chinese Standard (Version: 2013.1206.1602.28764)
CCC Help Chinese Traditional (Version: 2013.1206.1602.28764)
CCC Help Czech (Version: 2013.1206.1602.28764)
CCC Help Danish (Version: 2013.1206.1602.28764)
CCC Help Dutch (Version: 2013.1206.1602.28764)
CCC Help English (Version: 2013.1206.1602.28764)
CCC Help Finnish (Version: 2013.1206.1602.28764)
CCC Help French (Version: 2013.1206.1602.28764)
CCC Help German (Version: 2013.1206.1602.28764)
CCC Help Greek (Version: 2013.1206.1602.28764)
CCC Help Hungarian (Version: 2013.1206.1602.28764)
CCC Help Italian (Version: 2013.1206.1602.28764)
CCC Help Japanese (Version: 2013.1206.1602.28764)
CCC Help Korean (Version: 2013.1206.1602.28764)
CCC Help Norwegian (Version: 2013.1206.1602.28764)
CCC Help Polish (Version: 2013.1206.1602.28764)
CCC Help Portuguese (Version: 2013.1206.1602.28764)
CCC Help Russian (Version: 2013.1206.1602.28764)
CCC Help Spanish (Version: 2013.1206.1602.28764)
CCC Help Swedish (Version: 2013.1206.1602.28764)
CCC Help Thai (Version: 2013.1206.1602.28764)
CCC Help Turkish (Version: 2013.1206.1602.28764)
ccc-utility64 (Version: 2013.1206.1603.28764)
CCleaner (Version: 4.10)
ClipX
CryptoPrevent v4.3.0
DocPad (Version: 13.0)
EMCO UnLock IT 3.0
FastStone Image Viewer 4.8 (Version: 4.8)
FileMenu Tools
Firebird SQL Server - MAGIX Edition (Version: 2.1.32.0)
Font Runner 3 (64-bit) (Version: 3.2.3)
Gammadyne Spell Checking Module (Version: 3.0)
Hard Disk Sentinel
HARDiNFO 7 (Version: 7.0)
Hekasoft Backup & Restore 0.33 (Version: 0.33)
HP Deskjet 3050A J611 series Basic Device Software (Version: 25.0.571.0)
HP Deskjet 3050A J611 series Help (Version: 140.0.2.2)
HP Deskjet 3050A J611 series Product Improvement Study (Version: 25.0.571.0)
HP Update (Version: 5.005.000.002)
IcoFX 1.6.4
IObit Uninstaller (Version: 3.1.7.2405)
Java 7 Update 51 (64-bit) (Version: 7.0.510)
Java 7 Update 51 (Version: 7.0.510)
Java Auto Updater (Version: 2.1.9.8)
Keriver 1-Click Restore Free (Version: 3.0)
K-Lite Codec Pack 9.9.5 (64-bit) (Version: 9.9.5)
MAGIX Photo Designer 7 (Version: 7.0.1.1)
MAGIX Photo Manager 12 (Version: 10.0.0.271)
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1 (Version: 4.5.50938)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (Version: 8.0.56336)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17 (Version: 9.0.30729)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x64) - 11.0.50727 (Version: 11.0.50727.1)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x86) - 11.0.50727 (Version: 11.0.50727.1)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 x64 Additional Runtime - 11.0.50727 (Version: 11.0.50727)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 x64 Minimum Runtime - 11.0.50727 (Version: 11.0.50727)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 x86 Additional Runtime - 11.0.50727 (Version: 11.0.50727)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 x86 Minimum Runtime - 11.0.50727 (Version: 11.0.50727)
MiniBin 3.5.1.0 (Version: 3.5.1.0)
MozBackup 1.5.1
Mozilla Maintenance Service (Version: 24.3.0)
Mozilla Thunderbird 24.3.0 (x86 en-US) (Version: 24.3.0)
MPC-HC 1.7.1 (64-bit) (Version: 1.7.1.0)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430) (Version: 4.20.9870.0)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB973688) (Version: 4.20.9876.0)
MSXML 4.0 SP3 Parser (KB2758694) (Version: 4.30.2117.0)
MSXML 4.0 SP3 Parser (Version: 4.30.2100.0)
NEC Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver (Version: 1.0.14.0)
NetWorx 5.2.9
Nitro Reader 3 (Version: 3.5.6.5)
O&O CleverCache (Version: 7.1.2737)
Pale Moon 24.3.2 (x64 en-US) (Version: 24.3.2)
PhotoSun14 (Version: 1.0.0.1)
PLiska Image Resizer (Version: 2.2.2)
Privatefirewall 7.0 (Version: 7.0.30.3)
Process Lasso (Version: 6.7.0.34)
Puran Defrag 7.7
QTranslate 5.1.0 (Version: 5.1.0)
RadioTuna (Version: 1.01.0003)
Realtek Ethernet Controller Driver For Windows Vista and Later (Version: 1.00.0009)
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver (Version: 6.0.1.5964)
Speccy (Version: 1.25)
Start Menu X version 5.1 (Version: 5.1)
Startup Guard 3.51
SumatraPDF (Version: 2.4)
Supercopier 4.0.1.13 (Version: 4.0.1.13)
Universal Extractor 1.6.1 (Version: 1.6.1)
Visual Studio 2012 x64 Redistributables (Version: 14.0.0.1)
Visual Studio 2012 x86 Redistributables (Version: 14.0.0.1)
Windows 7 Logon Background Changer (Version: 1.3.4)
Wise Disk Cleaner 8.03 (Version: 8.03)
Wise JetSearch 1.45 (Version: 1.45)
WizMouse v1.7.0.3
xplorer² professional 64 bit (Version: 2.4.0.1)

========================= Devices: ================================

Name: Privacyware Filter Driver
Description: Privacyware Filter Driver
Class Guid: {8ECC055D-047F-11D1-A537-0000F8753ED1}
Manufacturer:
Service: pwipf6
Problem: : This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)
Resolution: The device is installed incorrectly. The problem could be a hardware failure, or a new driver might be needed.
Devices stay in this state if they have been prepared for removal.
After you remove the device, this error disappears.Remove the device, and this error should be resolved.

========================= Memory info: ===================================

Percentage of memory in use: 22%
Total physical RAM: 8190.49 MB
Available physical RAM: 6352.11 MB
Total Pagefile: 32758.69 MB
Available Pagefile: 30707.92 MB
Total Virtual: 4095.88 MB
Available Virtual: 3973.98 MB

========================= Partitions: =====================================

1 Drive c: (BOOT DRIVE x64) (Fixed) (Total:232.73 GB) (Free:170.87 GB) NTFS
2 Drive d: (DATA  DRIVE) (Fixed) (Total:465.73 GB) (Free:422.03 GB) NTFS
8 Drive j: (CURRENT BKUP.EXT) (Fixed) (Total:149.05 GB) (Free:140.31 GB) NTFS
9 Drive k: (ARCHIVAL BKUP.EXT) (Fixed) (Total:74.53 GB) (Free:61 GB) NTFS
10 Drive l: (RDYBST BPx64) (Removable) (Total:14.94 GB) (Free:0.01 GB) NTFS

========================= Users: ========================================

User accounts for \\TDOGWIN7-BP-X64

Administrator            BearPup                  Guest                    

**** End of log ****

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:18 AM

I was having trouble installing some new programs that I know were valid programs

Please elaborate on what valid programs are being installed next time. Could it be that security installed softwares are interfering with your system like 3rd party firewall/Antilogger?

Tekken

#11 BearPup

BearPup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:27 AM

@jhayz:  By a "valid program' I mean a program that I've used before, know how it behaves (GUI, methodology, time per task, etc.), and know whether or not it 'plays well with' other apps and the Start Menu. As my antivirus and firewall are among the very first applications I would know whether or not it gets along with my other apps during installation - and none of my apps have ever had a problem with my security apps. Some of the apps that caused a problem include Xplorer², Start Menu X, and ClipX; and tese apps I've used for quite some time, all of which operated perfectly in Win 7.

Regards,

BearPup

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:11 PM

Ok, please post the sfc results and then download and run MGAdiag.exe, click Continue when finished scanning click Copy then right-click on an empty space in the reply box of BC to paste the result.

http://www.bleepstatic.com/fhost/uploads/2/mgadiag.exe

Edited by jhayz, 03 March 2014 - 08:12 PM.

Tekken

#13 BearPup

BearPup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:09 AM

@jhayz: I'm not sure what you're asking. The SFC results now show a clean version of Windows as I've re-installed the OS. Would the MGAdiag pick-up anything from the past problem (i.e., before I re-installed the OS)? I do have one CBS log from a prior scan (prior=a scan before re-installing the OS); would that be of any use?

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Regards,

BearPup

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:44 PM

I replaced the C:\drive with a brand new WD Blue Caviar 250 GB drive; reinstalled Windows 7 from a known good System DVD, reloaded all my programs, and installed the USB printer. Then all of a sudden I started having problems installing programs again, ran SFC and again got 'corrupt files found / can't repair them'.

This is where my last post was referring. :)

Would the MGAdiag pick-up anything from the past problem (i.e., before I re-installed the OS)?

Yes, including the Windows installer.

Tekken

#15 BearPup

BearPup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:55 AM

@jhayz: Please excuse my delay in responding. I'm not getting notifications of posted comments  and I'm trying to track down which entity is blocking the email notifications.

OK, now for the info being asked for, I take it that the last information I provided wasn't sufficient? Correct? or something else? So let me start from the beginning. This whole process began some months ago when certain programs, such as Xplorer², weren't functioning properly, such as when copying files, moving files, etc. As part of the diagnostics that I run, I did a scan using the sfc command. It returned the line 'Problems detected but Windows can't fix the problem.'.

Because I was using a 4 year old hard drive which had been bounced around from different computers, to different OSs, to different file structures, I decided as a first resort to replace the C:\ drive with a brand new one, and after reformatting the old drive, shipped it off to Hungary for diagnostics. I installed a new WD Hard Drive, formatted it, and installed Win 7 from a Digital River made DVD.

After installing Windows and my programs (data was and is stored on a 2nd internal hard drive), I again ran sfc and again got sfc found problems but couldn't repair them. This time I did the Repair Install and subsequent I've run sfc twice and its run without any problems. Additionally, the original problems that I was experiencing also seemed to have disappeared.

Now as requested I did run the Mini tool and posted it to the site on March 2nd. Was that of any use? And now you want me to run the MGAdiag.exe, correct? My questions are 1) Will it make a difference now that the sfc is running clear (no problems); and 2) You have asked me to include the Windows Installer - where do I find it and what specific files do you want copied / transferred?

My apologies that this has gotten so convoluted, but I am trying to get it straight from this point forward.
Regards,
BearPup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users