Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seagate Freeagent Goflex Desk stopped working. is now clicking and beeping

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Forbiddenone

Forbiddenone

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:58 PM

It's an external hard drive, Part # 9zqad5-500

Long story short, I was downloading something and left my laptop on with the hard drive plugged in. When i returned, I discovered that the drive was inaccessible and was emitting a strange pattern of noises (click click click click BEEP BEEP) over and over.

Just multiple clicks and then two beeps.

I decided to unplug the drive and plug it back in- that caused the same pattern of noises, but this time it ended after a minute or so.

I decided to try a different usb port... same result.

I decided to try rebooting... that didn't help either.

I decided to run seatools- it does not see the drive, nor do I see the drive letter appear when I plug in the hard drive (although windows does detect something mounted, as evidenced by the "something mounted" windows sound playing when I plug it in, and the "something dismounted" windows sound playing when I unplug it.

Any idea what the problem is? If it is the AC adapter/power supply, where can I order a new one of those? I want to make sure I get the right one, since I notice it is a bit different from those of my other external drives. If it is my GoFlex Desk Adaptor (USB 3.0), where is the best place to buy a new one (I have spotted a few of those)?

For what it is worth, the Goflex Desk Adapter has a "seagate certified repair" sticker on it (it was a replacement for a dead drive, and they actually sent me the wrong one the first time... it's a long story), and ever since I first recieved it, it has been a bit spotty with regards to sometimes shutting itself off and needing me to unplug/replug.

---

FWIW my laptop is running Windows 8...

zU723x7.jpg

I'd try one of my other adapters but those output 1.5, and this one appears to output 2...

Edited by Forbiddenone, 01 March 2014 - 08:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:35 AM

Sounds to me like the drive is dead.

I've had trouble getting seatools to see usb drives. Sometimes it would see the drive, and then next time I rebooted it wouldn't.

You could try taking the hard drive out of there and putting it into a computer (so you can bypass all the external usb stuff)

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:39 AM

Once out of the case you can plug it in SATA, good luck I find some that have been left on all the time give up the ghost due to getting hot many of these are poorly ventilated.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users