Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

router life

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:15 PM

can someone tell me how long a router typical lasts?

thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:18 PM

My kids Linksys has been running a very long time, I just changed to a newer after five years on mine.  The thing is the newer ones have more features.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:20 PM

interesting....I have a nearly 8 year old router and have had connection issues which started after Comcast sent me a new modem. was on phone with comcast to solve connection issue then lost my wireless network. now on phone w/linksys to reconfigure my router and spending $30 to do so. not a happy camper. not your issue, just venting. going to try and get comcast to reimburse me. heh. 

thinking of getting a new router after this since we've had so many issues......thanks for your reply.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,840 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:29 PM

You'll get as many 'typical' numbers as there are makes of routers. Depends on a variety of factors. Quality of material and craftsmanship, service environment as well as others. I've had routers outlive their service life and I've had routers prematurely die in service. I can give you a range of less than a week to still in service 11 years and still working.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:32 PM

so would you recommend Linksys in general then?

and thanks!

Edited by tobyo, 01 March 2014 - 07:33 PM.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:38 PM

IMO research ones in the dollar amount you wish to spend, there several good ones.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:40 PM

As Animal noted, there a lot of factors that can go into that. One definite factor is how hot the router gets. In other words, if you put it inside a closed cabinet with no good air circulation such that the router can overheat, then it may not last long at all.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:14 AM

I'll just add, that sometimes it's just one thing that goes bad on the router but everything else works. Example, my sister seems to burn out the WAN port on her routers no idea why but in the past 8 years or so she has been through 3 or 4 routers, all of them the WAN port wasn't working. So she brings them to me, I flash a new firmware on'em, and I get a 4 port switch and wireless access point. Need a wireless bridge repeater? I got'em =)

Oh and $30 for over the phone tech support? I wouldn't deal with that company, that's just me tho. and pssst.....we're free. come here first specially if A) you can B) they're going to charge you to support their products =)

Edited by CaveDweller2, 02 March 2014 - 09:16 AM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#9 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:18 AM

so, I'm back and sorry CaveDweller2 I didn't see your reply. I never did buy the new router.....so CaveDweller....you say to come here first.  Here's what's happened this time....

last night internet "broke" again. reset modem and router many, many times. to no avail. Comcast tests modem, it is fine. so now thinking I best buy that new router. but guess what? I was able to connect via this same router to some other unsecured network.  Huh?? how does that happen? okay, maybe that's a topic for another day.  The secured network that I set up with Linksys over the phone (for $30....) is now GONE???? similar to last time. I can't see it in the list of available networks on either my phone OR on this laptop.  what the heck??? where did it go???

and how do I go about resetting the router when I need the internet to follow instructions if I were to do it here? 

I'm obviously very confused about this entire thing and not completely convinced that I need a new router since I am now connect to the internet? or....because this router keeps "losing" my secured connection, is that why I need a new router?

any and all advice is very welcome at this point.  thank you for any replies and/or advice.

#10 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:18 AM

"I was able to connect via this same router to some other unsecured network."

You are confusing connecting to someone else's router with your workstation as your router connecting to someone else's router.

"where did it go???"

This is a sign of defective hardware.  Replace the router with a new one.  Chose a dual band router [2.4Ghz/5Ghz] and I recommend Dlink or Netgear.  I am not a happy camper with Linksys.  I have had too many fail right after the warranty period.

#11 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:39 PM

Linksys is now manufactured by Belkin.  Previously it was owned by Cisco.  So, you can't just buy on the name, you need to look at the model you are interested in.

I've had no issues with ZyXEL routers.  If you don't need the features of a higher end router they are a great purchase for the price.  The one I linked I bought to use as a wireless access point (WAP) because my Netgear WNDR3700v2 was dropping wireless frequently.  I could bring it back up by going into the router and just saving the settings, but I shouldn't have to do that.  The ZyXELs are easy to configure as WAP, repeater, or bridges.

#12 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:05 PM

"I was able to connect via this same router to some other unsecured network."

You are confusing connecting to someone else's router with your workstation as your router connecting to someone else's router.

"where did it go???"

This is a sign of defective hardware.  Replace the router with a new one.  Chose a dual band router [2.4Ghz/5Ghz] and I recommend Dlink or Netgear.  I am not a happy camper with Linksys.  I have had too many fail right after the warranty period.

Yes, my current Linksys router keeps kicking me off my secured network. when I re-enabled it I noticed the default name was the network I got connected to (the unsecure one). Looked like it defaulted to factory settings. thanks for the advice. I was tending toward Netgear after doing some reading. I am going to hold off just for a bit before I buy another one since I got my secure network working again. I appreciate the info. thank you!!

#13 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:09 PM

I am not a happy camper with Linksys.  I have had too many fail right after the warranty period.

This one is actually about 8 years old so no wonder it's failing. I guess I got my money's worth out of this one :)

Linksys is now manufactured by Belkin.  Previously it was owned by Cisco.  So, you can't just buy on the name, you need to look at the model you are interested in.

I've had no issues with ZyXEL routers.  If you don't need the features of a higher end router they are a great purchase for the price.  The one I linked I bought to use as a wireless access point (WAP) because my Netgear WNDR3700v2 was dropping wireless frequently.  I could bring it back up by going into the router and just saving the settings, but I shouldn't have to do that.  The ZyXELs are easy to configure as WAP, repeater, or bridges.

thanks again for your advice Kilroy, appreciate it.

#14 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:55 AM

Short and sweet, I prefer Linksys routers above all.  I was using an old Linksys router, until we had a thunderstorm roll in without notice, had a lightening strike, and my router LITERALLY, YES, LITERALLY blew apart.  After that, my ISP sent me a router/modem comobo.  Luckily, that was the only damage!

Have a great day!

:bananas: :bounce:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users